“A Haven of Peace and Comfort”

79 Greencroft Gardens Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
79 Greencroft Gardens Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #186 of 554 London B&B and Inns
uk
“A Haven of Peace and Comfort”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We picked this B&B from the Wolsey site and are very pleased that we did. Even with the Olympic Games a couple of days away, the prices were unchanged and very good value for London. We drove down from Lincolnshire to find easy access and off road parking in this quiet suburb. We were greeted warmly by Penelope and shown our large airy room with private bathroom attached and offered tea or coffee. A short stroll took us to the noise and bustle of the main street and Finchley Road underground station, from where either the Jubilee or Metropolitan lines provide good access across London. We returned late on the warm night and slept very well; even with the window open there is no night time traffic noise.

A fine traditional breakfast was served in the elegant dining room, with excellent tea and home made preserves, which set us up for the day. After a morning visiting a gallery, my wife was rather unwell so we phoned the B&B and were told that it was no problem and to treat it as home for the rest of the day. Whilst my wife rested in the cool room upstairs I sat in the shade and read in the small back garden; after a few minutes Penelope appeared with Jasmine tea and shortbread - just perfect. I probably enjoyed this peaceful moment more than any other. That may well be the charm of this B&B: large comfortable bedroom, good food and a caring hostess yes, but the haven of peace and comfort when so close to the heart of a great city makes this a little gem.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ambrose6

Families
Business
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I had a great time here!
stayed for 6 nights in this large victorian house,full of character
with many interesting antiques and pictures,a nice garden,

the hostess and her family were friendly and kind,

actually i liked everything there and agree w a previous reviewer that it could
feel like a home away from home,,,
guests have the whole floor for themselves..the atmosphere is relaxed and you have all the privacy you want
my very pleasant and well equiped room was very well kept,
there is another double room on the same floor which looked quite fancy,,

the tasty breakfasts and good coffee! were served in a beautiful dining room
I used mostly the finchley road station which is minutes away and was only very short
ride from the center

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Atravelerisrael
Oak Park, IL
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We were in London for a wedding, and the mother of the bride suggested that we try this B and B, given its location--mid point between the wedding (somewhat out of the city) and central London (for sightseeing). The location is, indeed, excellent--a short walk to the Jubilee or Metropolitan lines of the tube; close to restaurants and shopping; the Freud Museum; Abbey Road (where, of course, the Beatles walked across the road for the album cover), etc.

This is an interesting place. The proprietor, Penny, is very helpful, and there's a good deal of history on the walls--interesting art, family photographs and portraits, and the like. We had the larger room with "ensuite" bath--one actually walks into a little hall to get to it, but it's private for that particular room--and the place is very clean and very comfortable. This is not a place for those used to very American and hotel-like luxuries, such as flat screen TVs (we couldn't get a TV in our room to work) or fancy toiletries and such. The private bathroom is spacious, the shower good, and the hot water copious.

Penny is very accommodating regarding breakfast. We had the "full English breakfast" two days in a row--very good!--and one morning, I chose yogurt and fruit, and my husband wanted only cereal. When we arrived, Penny offered us tea and biscuits (cookies), a very welcome treat after our long travel from the U.S., and offers tea at other times as well. In all, we would return to 79 Greencroft Gardens; we enjoyed being in an English neighborhood rather than a touristy area, and the tube is so close by that we traveled to central London quickly and with ease. Moreover, the B and B isn't nearly as costly as larger London hotels.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Grmpmbl
los angeles
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Feels like being at home and not being a tourist, I think between us my husband and I have stayed here at least 12 times now. Charming old Victorian town home, easy walk to the tube and to dining. I am missing it already. And a bargain compared to a London hotel, especially for a single person or couple.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank LosAngelesAlice
London
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Looking to book a weekend stay for my father in accommodation close to our home in West Hampstead, I attempted to book a room in Greencroft Gardens B&B. Ultimately I was never able to make such a booking as after sending two emails, a booking request form, leaving two messages on the B&B telephone landline and offering both a landline number and a mobile number for the host to reach me on and, in addition, complaining to Wolsey Head Office (the group overseeing Greencroft Gardens), I finally received a response from Penelope nearly a week later stating there were no rooms left. Surprise, surprise I'd booked elsewhere with hosts who actually value potential customers and understand the concept of word-of-mouth.

Stayed May 2011, travelled solo