“Horrible Horrible Experience”

Earls Court Gardens Hotel
Ranked #1,013 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Horrible Horrible Experience”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Whilst it is in a great spot and cheap, it was not value for money (in fact it was the opposite)

i. The building is filthy, it needs complete renovation. I have bought houses to demolish in better condition and cleaner;
ii. It is right on the district line, so trains until 12.30 and starting at 05.30 so there was no sleep to be had;
iii. The bed was uncomfortable, the matteress had to be at least 10 years old and you can feel every spring;
iv. The bathroom was filthy, I refused to use it;
v. There was no heating in the room, so shivered all night, and because of the lack of heating it is damp and so stank. Everything I took needed washing when I go home to get rid of the damp smell;
vi. They charge extra than advertising for you to have a key! (an unpublicised deposit of £10); and
vii. I am pretty sure there was a mouse infestation.

I will not be staying again, when there are far far better hotels locally for the same price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 12 October 2013

For this price is a good accomodation, if you want only to sleep here. Has a good location, near tube. We didn´t see any mouses or something like that. We were here with friends, we were in hotel only for sleeping and we hadn ´t any problems.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linda K
Reviewed 2 October 2013

First up - the positives. This is directly opposite Earls Court tube station, and a very short distance into central London, so the location couldn't be better for the price. The staff are all very smiley and friendly and I was impressed with the customer service when I had to email a query before my stay. However....

...I have stayed in budget hotels and know what to expect, hence I wasn't that surprised that the walls were cracked and the floorboards were squeaky and it smelled quite musty in my room. Par for the course. It wasn't *massively* clean, but it had clearly had a going over with the vacuum cleaner and the beds were nicely turned down, so again, you get what you pay for a few marks on the sideboards never killed anyone. BUT - stains on the sheets were off-putting and OH MY COD, I have never slept on such an uncomfortable mattress in all my life, it was JUST springs. The heating was on and I couldn't turn it off, which would have been fine except the rope that opened the pull-up window was snapped, so it was a sweaty night. I knew well enough not to *touch* the cables and wires sticking out of the hole in the wall, but they were still a little worrying.

Other things I could have done without - no or very little water coming out of the sink when you turned the taps on, yet it gurgling through the pipes in my room ear-splittingly loudly and regularly during the night. The first time I nearly I had a heart attack, I woke up in such a fright. Also the doors don't lock very well, just a loosely fitted Chub lock, so I didn't feel very secure on my own as the door rattled around.

Worst thing was though, either the lock for the front door or the key they gave me for getting in after reception closed at 10pm was temperamental, but I spent a good ten minutes on the front step at 1am trying to get the door to open, increasingly terrified I was going to be locked out with nowhere to go until with massive effort it suddenly sprung open.

Other minor niggles for a budget hotel - they did provide little sachets of coffee and tea bags, but only little plastic cups - the sort you'd normally get with a water cooler - for drinking out of. These were obviously totally unsuitable for boiling water, and puts you at risk of burns. I know it's cheap, but surely they could spring to a pack of 3 pound shop mugs? Also, I was aware of the shared bathroom situation but still expected a bathroom - not a tiny shower cubicle with a toilet in it, and just a hole in the middle of the floor to drain the water away. I didn't shower, I feared claustrophobia setting in. Also the shower on our floor wasn't working when I got there, though it had been fixed by the time I checked out - these things happen. However, I've no idea how well the shower would have worked even when fixed considering the sink in my room only released water in random, pitiful gurgles. Brushing my teeth took an age.

All in all, my point is that no one expects a hotel this cheap to be particularly attractive or have all mod cons - but you do expect things (the window, the radiator, the sink, the shower, the keys) to actually WORK. And really, the bed was so, so uncomfortable. I'm not saying *don't* stay here - if it's only for a night and you're not planning on being in the room for anything other than sleeping, like I was, the price is worth it for the location alone, and I might have been unlucky with the mattress. But if you can stretch to a little bit more for your stay, I would.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ms_V_Wire

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

BEIJING
Reviewed 14 September 2013

not only a lack of water for showers, but also there were mice traps all over the place.
unfortunately we only found out about the mice traps just before bed and moved out on the spot. we found another hotel close by (forgot the name) but it cost a fortune.

earls court gardens hotel is not a place to stay...i'd avoid it

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank C L
Odense
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Our stay at Earls Court Gardens Hotel was influenced by a lack of hot water some of the days during our stay, and when I went down to the reception to have i fixed, they told me they couldn't do anything. Young people sat in the reception and they were friendly and seemed like they wanted to help, but maybe some boss further back was not prepared to get the water problem fixed. Apart from that was the hotel very primitive but if you only need a place to sleep, it's fine, We couldn't make the announced wifi work either.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The rooms were so dirty and we found that the room was not cleaned because there was a cigarette butt and sugar on the floor! We were going to spend three nights and paid by cash when we checked in. However, after finding those dirts in our room, we decided to leave there, so we spent only one night and left the hotel. The receptionist agreed to refund for the other two nights and told me that the money would be transferred to my UK bank account within 2 weeks. I sent e-mails three times but they replied only once saying 'this is not immediate'. 2 weeks already passed but I still haven't got the money or replied any emails. They ignored all the e-mails and the hotel manager is always unavailable when I called them. It's just so weird! Our holiday was ruined and the money hasn't come back. I feel terrible. I cannot believe that this kind of hotel is running in lovely London. Really disappointing. I'm still waiting for the money to be refunded.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The reviews are true, it is not much of a hotel. But we got a good nights sleep, near the tube station. We had a room in the basement, shared bathroom. The boxes of rat poison we saw were probably needed. But everything was working. At that price range it is better to search a few stations less central. The two persons of th staff we met was nice.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family