“London on a Budget with All the Amenities You Need - But Nothing More!”
Review of Garden View Hotel

Garden View Hotel
Ranked #560 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I should start this review by mentioning that I'm one of the lucky ones -- our room did face the garden! So, that may have given me a better impression than those who didn't have such a nice view. But anyway, the title of my review sums up this hotel perfectly: It's a wonderful slice of London with all the amenities you need, but because you're on a budget it's just barely all crammed in and available!

The rooms themselves are VERY small. I know, I'm American, but I've been to Europe before. I knew what I was getting into, but these rooms are just outright TINY. And, although I know it's fairly common in the UK to go without A/C due to the climate, these rooms are not well designed to ventilate the fresh air and in the summer that makes it a bit miserable. (Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to first-time Americans for these very reasons. It would be a pretty severe culture shock!) That said, the rooms are very nice. I read some reviews on here that had me a bit concerned, but our room was clean and good quality, and the bathroom was also very nice. The breakfast was a bit of a let down, but hey -- we were able to "carb up" to get us to lunch for free, which was a good deal for us!

That being said, you really stay in this hotel for the location. It's a quick jaunt from the Earl's Court Station that will take you right into the heart of London, and along the way you'll pass some excellent restaurants and pubs. Part of my husband's and my strategy for keeping to a budget is to buy food at the grocery store, and there are several within walking distance here. We were also able to do laundry at a laundromat (although it was a bit rough looking!)

Would I stay here again? In the area, absolutely, but probably not this hotel. If you're thinking of staying here because it's in your price range, would I tell you to go for it? Absolutely! It's a good deal and you could do MUCH worse in London. But, if you've got other options, it's probably worthwhile to explore those and see if you can do a bit better. But if not, the Garden View is a nice spot to use as your home base for a few days in Londontown.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Garden View Hotel

Reviewed 12 August 2013

A lovely start to my stay in England- I arrived much too early for my room to be ready and fresh off a 24 trip from Australia. I was shown to a bathroom where I was able to have a quick wash and change my clothes. I was then offered a cup of tea in the breakfast room and had my bags safely stored while I headed out for the day. On my arrival back at the hotel I was given a small but neat room for one that overlooked the lovely wall garden across the road - the afternoon breeze made a nap the "heatwave" conditions more than pleasant. After leaving the hotel I realised I had left my passport and some cash in the safe. The friendly and helpful staff (especially Terri) helped me organise for my passport to be couriered to me kept my cash safe until I returned to London.

Room Tip: Try to get one upstairs at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Location is very convenient, but the hotel itself isn't great. There was no a/c and even with the window open, there was little to no ventilation. The room was small and had a strange odour, like it wasn't very clean, but there was nothing that could be done about it. Our room was at the basement level, and the noise from the street was quite loud especially at night. The bathroom was very small, but adequate. The breakfast room did not have enough space to accommodate everyone, and the breakfast selection was poor; only cereal and toast.

Room Tip: Basement rooms are hot and stuffy in the summer
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Just a cheap one night stay in London required and this hotel fitted the bill. Ten minutes walk from Earls Court tube, nice quiet street overlooking a nice green square, basic but adequate for a one night stay. Room was ok, small but just somewhere to sleep so who cares, couple of things didn't work properly but reported to reception on our departure and they where pleased we informed them. Staff very friendly and helpfull, no problem to leave our bags before check in and again after check out before departing London. Although we were on a bed and breakfast tariff, only £90 for the night, the breakfast was only sliced bread toast and tea/coffee and the small room was packed so we went to a small cafe on Earls Court Road - Bencho - who did a superb full English for £6.90p, great fiendly service, just the job.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013

As written in the title.
Good:
1. Cost ... very low in this location. No extra charges nor taxes.
2. Location... 3 min from nearest tube station"Earl's court", but this tube station is "zone 2", so pretty higher than "zone 1" station. A bus stop of N9 bound for Heathrow airport is also close, and you can go airport at mignight for only less than 2 GBP.
3. Service ... not bad, not good also. One matt, bus towel, shampoo and solid soap is served every night.
4. Equipment ... not bad for the charges. Cheapest rooms does not equip bustub. The building and rooms are shabby, but enought for take a good sleep.
5. food ... very simple. only cerial or UK style breads is served(self-service). Not good taste, but do not worry, most of the foods in London are really bad taste. There is good kebab shop near this Earl's court, you can take good & cheap meal on this shop.

立地が最高です。ゾーン2ですが、地下鉄の駅Earl's Courtから近く、駅近くにスーパーもあります。また、N9 夜行バスのバス停も近くにあるので、深夜便からホテルに直行、または深夜に空港に直行もできます。食事はしょぼくてまずいですが、ロンドンという街は「美味しい」という概念が欠落しているようなので、そこら辺は気にしなくても良いでしょう。

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Nice clean stay, pleasant, good location but no A/c in room which made it uncomfortable if staying in the summer time when it is hot and humid, however nice reception, breakfast, clean and pleasant short stay...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I was traveling to London with a friend on a limited budget, and after reading the mixed reviews we really were expecting the worst- but Garden View Hotel actually was very good, especially for London and for the price. The location is swell- 5 minute walk from the tube station, area feels safe even at night, and the rooms were not that small (the other reviewers seem to be used to American hotels. This is Europe- we have small beds and our hotels are generally tiny). The hotel was very clean and the beds quite comfortable. Wi-fi was working and we thought the breakfast was fine. The only drawback was that since we traveled in the middle of winter, the rooms got quite cold during the night, and the first two nights we had to sleep with our recently bought fleece onesies. We got it fixed the third night without problems. Despite the cold, the general atmosphere was quite cosy, and there was a kettle and tea cups in the room which was very nice after a long day freezing your butt off in February. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends