“Very average”

Ranked #532 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Friendly staff and excellent location to Earls Court and Olympia. Rooms are small. The bathroom had no air and the shower was almost useless. Breakfast was very poor and badly run. For the price and the location it was just what we needed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Rockledge, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Literally steps from Earl's Court tube station. On three major underground lines!

Wonderful location for site seeing. You pass a grocer on your way home from the tube.

It is not fancy, but was immaculate. The staff were very friendly & helpful.

I would use them again.

Room Tip: the double beds are tiny, go for two twins
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Drammen, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

My stay at this hotel was in april this year. The hotel has small rooms, but my bathroom was modern and in good shape. It's not very good isolation in the walls, so I could hear a lot of my neighbours, and some noise from det hall. The breakfastroom is small, and not very good organized. Very crowded. The staff I talked with and asked for help, was friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I should start this review by mentioning that I'm one of the lucky ones -- our room did face the garden! So, that may have given me a better impression than those who didn't have such a nice view. But anyway, the title of my review sums up this hotel perfectly: It's a wonderful slice of London with all the amenities you need, but because you're on a budget it's just barely all crammed in and available!

The rooms themselves are VERY small. I know, I'm American, but I've been to Europe before. I knew what I was getting into, but these rooms are just outright TINY. And, although I know it's fairly common in the UK to go without A/C due to the climate, these rooms are not well designed to ventilate the fresh air and in the summer that makes it a bit miserable. (Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to first-time Americans for these very reasons. It would be a pretty severe culture shock!) That said, the rooms are very nice. I read some reviews on here that had me a bit concerned, but our room was clean and good quality, and the bathroom was also very nice. The breakfast was a bit of a let down, but hey -- we were able to "carb up" to get us to lunch for free, which was a good deal for us!

That being said, you really stay in this hotel for the location. It's a quick jaunt from the Earl's Court Station that will take you right into the heart of London, and along the way you'll pass some excellent restaurants and pubs. Part of my husband's and my strategy for keeping to a budget is to buy food at the grocery store, and there are several within walking distance here. We were also able to do laundry at a laundromat (although it was a bit rough looking!)

Would I stay here again? In the area, absolutely, but probably not this hotel. If you're thinking of staying here because it's in your price range, would I tell you to go for it? Absolutely! It's a good deal and you could do MUCH worse in London. But, if you've got other options, it's probably worthwhile to explore those and see if you can do a bit better. But if not, the Garden View is a nice spot to use as your home base for a few days in Londontown.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

A lovely start to my stay in England- I arrived much too early for my room to be ready and fresh off a 24 trip from Australia. I was shown to a bathroom where I was able to have a quick wash and change my clothes. I was then offered a cup of tea in the breakfast room and had my bags safely stored while I headed out for the day. On my arrival back at the hotel I was given a small but neat room for one that overlooked the lovely wall garden across the road - the afternoon breeze made a nap the "heatwave" conditions more than pleasant. After leaving the hotel I realised I had left my passport and some cash in the safe. The friendly and helpful staff (especially Terri) helped me organise for my passport to be couriered to me kept my cash safe until I returned to London.

Room Tip: Try to get one upstairs at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Location is very convenient, but the hotel itself isn't great. There was no a/c and even with the window open, there was little to no ventilation. The room was small and had a strange odour, like it wasn't very clean, but there was nothing that could be done about it. Our room was at the basement level, and the noise from the street was quite loud especially at night. The bathroom was very small, but adequate. The breakfast room did not have enough space to accommodate everyone, and the breakfast selection was poor; only cereal and toast.

Room Tip: Basement rooms are hot and stuffy in the summer
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Just a cheap one night stay in London required and this hotel fitted the bill. Ten minutes walk from Earls Court tube, nice quiet street overlooking a nice green square, basic but adequate for a one night stay. Room was ok, small but just somewhere to sleep so who cares, couple of things didn't work properly but reported to reception on our departure and they where pleased we informed them. Staff very friendly and helpfull, no problem to leave our bags before check in and again after check out before departing London. Although we were on a bed and breakfast tariff, only £90 for the night, the breakfast was only sliced bread toast and tea/coffee and the small room was packed so we went to a small cafe on Earls Court Road - Bencho - who did a superb full English for £6.90p, great fiendly service, just the job.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple