“served the purpose; would recommend”
Review of Garden View Hotel

Garden View Hotel
Ranked #552 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Slane, Ireland
“served the purpose; would recommend”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I would give this hotel four stars because of its location, and the friendly front-desk staff who looked after us, but:

The biggest complaint I have about it is that there is no ramp or elevator (in fairness, these are old buildings, and I am not sure they could even fit them in) for wheelchair, or buggy access, so every time we went out, we had to drag my child's pram up and down the stairs.

Yes, the rooms are small, and the sense of decor is non-existent. The bathroom is very small (like a closet), and the smells came out into the main room because the extractor isn't up to the task (so don't share a room with someone you are not entirely at ease with! ;) ).
The shower drain seemed to be in danger of overflowing, so we cut our showers short.

On the plus side, the room was clean enough, and even though it was small, it was suitable to share between two adults (my mother and I), and my child (even though he didn't have much space to play in - other than the bed; he was two). We also had a nice view into a small garden at the back.
The telly worked fine, and we had free wi-fi, which saved me couple of euro on calls!

The hotel was a bit hard to find around Nevern Square, because we initially took a wrong turn looking for it, and there are many other little hotels in the area - but this was our fault.

I am giving this hotel three-stars merely because I don't want to deceive other visitors; you get what you pay for! The hotel was cheap and cheerful, and if you are not too fussy, don't mind the small rooms, and are planning to spend most of your time outside anyway, then this is the place for you!
The underground station is very close, as well as Earls Court, and there are plenty of eateries and pubs close by, with a wide range of cuisines.

I would stay again, with another adult, but now that my child is older, he would need more space... So, recommended for young travellers and couples..
We stayed here in September 2012.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the garden at back
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This hotel was really good. I see a number of people complain about various things - but it is not supposed to be a 4 or 5 star hotel. Yes, the rooms are small, and there is only a choice of toast or cereal for breakfast, but it's adequate. For the *price* in London, it is hard to find better. I found the hotel comfortable. It's location is excellent, it has free wifi, a simple breakfast, friendly and efficient staff, and it our room was quiet. I would have given it a "5" rating - our only small problem was that the wifi sometimes didn't work, and we had to go to the front desk to ask them to reset it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Friendly staff and excellent location to Earls Court and Olympia. Rooms are small. The bathroom had no air and the shower was almost useless. Breakfast was very poor and badly run. For the price and the location it was just what we needed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Rockledge, Florida
Reviewed 21 August 2013

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Literally steps from Earl's Court tube station. On three major underground lines!

Wonderful location for site seeing. You pass a grocer on your way home from the tube.

It is not fancy, but was immaculate. The staff were very friendly & helpful.

I would use them again.

Room Tip: the double beds are tiny, go for two twins
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Drammen, Norway
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My stay at this hotel was in april this year. The hotel has small rooms, but my bathroom was modern and in good shape. It's not very good isolation in the walls, so I could hear a lot of my neighbours, and some noise from det hall. The breakfastroom is small, and not very good organized. Very crowded. The staff I talked with and asked for help, was friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I should start this review by mentioning that I'm one of the lucky ones -- our room did face the garden! So, that may have given me a better impression than those who didn't have such a nice view. But anyway, the title of my review sums up this hotel perfectly: It's a wonderful slice of London with all the amenities you need, but because you're on a budget it's just barely all crammed in and available!

The rooms themselves are VERY small. I know, I'm American, but I've been to Europe before. I knew what I was getting into, but these rooms are just outright TINY. And, although I know it's fairly common in the UK to go without A/C due to the climate, these rooms are not well designed to ventilate the fresh air and in the summer that makes it a bit miserable. (Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to first-time Americans for these very reasons. It would be a pretty severe culture shock!) That said, the rooms are very nice. I read some reviews on here that had me a bit concerned, but our room was clean and good quality, and the bathroom was also very nice. The breakfast was a bit of a let down, but hey -- we were able to "carb up" to get us to lunch for free, which was a good deal for us!

That being said, you really stay in this hotel for the location. It's a quick jaunt from the Earl's Court Station that will take you right into the heart of London, and along the way you'll pass some excellent restaurants and pubs. Part of my husband's and my strategy for keeping to a budget is to buy food at the grocery store, and there are several within walking distance here. We were also able to do laundry at a laundromat (although it was a bit rough looking!)

Would I stay here again? In the area, absolutely, but probably not this hotel. If you're thinking of staying here because it's in your price range, would I tell you to go for it? Absolutely! It's a good deal and you could do MUCH worse in London. But, if you've got other options, it's probably worthwhile to explore those and see if you can do a bit better. But if not, the Garden View is a nice spot to use as your home base for a few days in Londontown.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2013

A lovely start to my stay in England- I arrived much too early for my room to be ready and fresh off a 24 trip from Australia. I was shown to a bathroom where I was able to have a quick wash and change my clothes. I was then offered a cup of tea in the breakfast room and had my bags safely stored while I headed out for the day. On my arrival back at the hotel I was given a small but neat room for one that overlooked the lovely wall garden across the road - the afternoon breeze made a nap the "heatwave" conditions more than pleasant. After leaving the hotel I realised I had left my passport and some cash in the safe. The friendly and helpful staff (especially Terri) helped me organise for my passport to be couriered to me kept my cash safe until I returned to London.

Room Tip: Try to get one upstairs at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo