“Great location!”
Review of Garden View Hotel

Garden View Hotel
Ranked #599 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed at Garden View Hotel for 4 nights in August. The rooms are really small,but we were almost out sightseeing the entire day so it was not much of a problem. First we did not get the garden view room, but when checked with the front desk we got a room with a garden view on a higher floor. The room and bathroom were clean and the bed was also comfortable. The breakfast was included in the price and was not a big spread but pretty good to start the day. There is an electric kettle,tea and coffee supplies in the room and they replenish it everyday. The staff is friendly and helpful.
Let me now come to the very important point and that is the location of the hotel. It is conveniently located very near to the picadilly line tube station.You could even take buses to the main attractions from here (I would highly recommend taking a bus as you can see everything from the upper deck of the double decker and dont have to walk much). At the Earls court tube station,take the Earl's court exhibition center exit(on warwick road) and the hotel will be just a 5 min walk. The hotel is in a quiet residential area and surrounded with restaurants and supermarkets all in a walking distance. There is a Barclays ATM just across the earl's court tube station on earls court road.
You can also walk or take a bus to Kensington Palace, Imperial college, Victoria And Albert Museum,Museum of Natural History, Royal Albert Hall ,science museum.
I would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room,most of the rooms have a garden view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Because of our heavy suitcases, we wanted a hotel on a direct tube line from Heathrow Airport. This hotel is just a few minutes walk from Earl's Court tube station, on the Piccadilly line. Also has free wifi and breakfast. All this for $100 per night (booked on Agoda).

Although the room was tiny, with barely enough room to put our bags, it seemed quite clean. Also I think it's recently been renovated, with new bathroom (though it was tiny too). The breakfast was ok - unlimited cups of tea, toast and cereals.

From the hotel, we walked to Kensington High St, Victoria & Albert Museum, and Hyde Park etc. Also there are lots of restaurants and supermarkets near Earl's Court tube.

I would definitely stay there again, because of its handy location and reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My friend and I stayed at Garden View for one night and had a triple occupancy to ourselves. The room was a fine size, much different from other hotels I had stayed at in the area. The walls were rather thin, so bring earplugs or ear buds as you can hear people walking in and out and down the halls. We did not have a Garden View room, but one in the basement. It was cheap, a 5 minute walk to Earl Court's tube station, and the breakfast was full of carbs as most London BnBs are. (Think cornflakes and toast) All in all, a decent place for a small amount of money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The desk clerk kept changing the lock code on my room so I couldn't get into it. Then when I would go down to see her she would make up some story like the bath mat was stained or a coffee cup had been chipped and she would then demand I pay her 30 pounds -- cash right then and there!

The staff tried this twice! I demanded to speak to the manager but the cowardly weasel kept ducking me.

Don't stay at the Gardenview. The staff were thieving buffoons!

Room Tip: Thieving Staff ruin stay. Book elsewhere!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Curt6511
Reviewed 7 September 2013

For the price ($100 single), this is a great find. It's a bit of a maze inside because it consists of two joined up buildings, but that adds character to the place. My room was small but adequate and comfortable. The building is well maintained and very clean. I had a delightful "Garden View," and the area is extremely quiet all day and all night. Earls Court Road is a few minutes' walk away, with convenient transport links to and from Heathrow as well as all over London, and lots of good places to eat, pubs, supermarkets, etc. In-room wifi was excellent. Breakfast was healthy and tasty. Service was understated but friendly and efficient. I have only two minor gripes. In very hot weather (30ºC when I arrived), the lack of air-conditioning and even fans makes the entire hotel very uncomfortable. The other was the uncomfortably soft bed, which gave me the impression I was bouncing up to the ceiling and back down again every time I shifted in bed. Other than that, I recommend the hotel for budget-conscious travelers.

Room Tip: Be prepared to find yourself in a small room, so pack light.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I would give this hotel four stars because of its location, and the friendly front-desk staff who looked after us, but:

The biggest complaint I have about it is that there is no ramp or elevator (in fairness, these are old buildings, and I am not sure they could even fit them in) for wheelchair, or buggy access, so every time we went out, we had to drag my child's pram up and down the stairs.

Yes, the rooms are small, and the sense of decor is non-existent. The bathroom is very small (like a closet), and the smells came out into the main room because the extractor isn't up to the task (so don't share a room with someone you are not entirely at ease with! ;) ).
The shower drain seemed to be in danger of overflowing, so we cut our showers short.

On the plus side, the room was clean enough, and even though it was small, it was suitable to share between two adults (my mother and I), and my child (even though he didn't have much space to play in - other than the bed; he was two). We also had a nice view into a small garden at the back.
The telly worked fine, and we had free wi-fi, which saved me couple of euro on calls!

The hotel was a bit hard to find around Nevern Square, because we initially took a wrong turn looking for it, and there are many other little hotels in the area - but this was our fault.

I am giving this hotel three-stars merely because I don't want to deceive other visitors; you get what you pay for! The hotel was cheap and cheerful, and if you are not too fussy, don't mind the small rooms, and are planning to spend most of your time outside anyway, then this is the place for you!
The underground station is very close, as well as Earls Court, and there are plenty of eateries and pubs close by, with a wide range of cuisines.

I would stay again, with another adult, but now that my child is older, he would need more space... So, recommended for young travellers and couples..
We stayed here in September 2012.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the garden at back
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This hotel was really good. I see a number of people complain about various things - but it is not supposed to be a 4 or 5 star hotel. Yes, the rooms are small, and there is only a choice of toast or cereal for breakfast, but it's adequate. For the *price* in London, it is hard to find better. I found the hotel comfortable. It's location is excellent, it has free wifi, a simple breakfast, friendly and efficient staff, and it our room was quiet. I would have given it a "5" rating - our only small problem was that the wifi sometimes didn't work, and we had to go to the front desk to ask them to reset it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple