“VERY underated hotel-should be higher in ratings !”
Review of Garden View Hotel

Garden View Hotel
Ranked #541 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Tasmania, Australia
“VERY underated hotel-should be higher in ratings !”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights with 3 young grandchildren in early June.Reception staff couldn't have been more helpful,welcoming or friendly-Ana was exceptional.

Rooms were great with dark curtains and a window that opened ! With the long daylight hours,dark curtains are a must and have no idea why the Garden View Hotel are the only ones with any common sense in the decorating.And having a window that actually opened was brilliant as it was quite warm in London during our stay and we were so sick of the stifling central heating in other places.

Room serviced daily by very friendly housekeeping staff.The instant coffee in the rooms was THE best coffee I tasted in the whole of the UK but have no idea what brand it was.Everything was very clean and fresh.

The free breakfast,whilst very basic,was certainly enough for the average person ie toast,cereal,juice and tea or coffee.

Very family friendly and would be more than happy to stay here again.

Fast and free wifi in rooms.

Just a few very short blocks to Earls Court train/tube station and very close to several other places of interest.

Multiple choices of food places on main road just 2 streets away-everything from KFC to international food restaurants.

If we had to make any negative comment,it would have been the view from our room was of an alleyway however as we were out most of each day,this was no big deal.

Room Tip: Phone and make your booking instead of using internet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank NannyBSmith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We arrived in London from Paris using Eurostar. We used the tube to Earl's Court.Hotel is just a short walk from tube station. Located in a very safe,quiet neighborhood. Finding a Triple room can be a challenge in Europe GV has them. As others have stated the hotel is dated looking but clean and comfortable. There is a lift if taking stairs is a problem.Breakfast is simple but good enough fotr starting the day.Shower is small but not a problem since we were not large folks.Staff was very nice and helpful in giving directions to nearby sights.We were able to store our bags on the last day. They also arranged for a shuttle to LHR. Cost 12 pounds per person.Also, their is a Tesco grocery down the road if needed. Considering the cost of London Hotels I think this was a nice enough place that was safe and comfortable. Would stay here again. Great choice if you prefer to spend your money seeing sights instead of on a room that you will only be in a little.

Room Tip: Not sure it has AC. We used open windows. London tube system very easy to use. Clean and safe.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sandra661
Spencerport, New York
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Our experience was garbage view hotel. No garden in sight, Only the back garbage area. Few amenities. Hotel staff was polite but not very knowledgeable about good restaurants or other nearby attractions. Breakfast was included but very minimal, toast, cereal, juice and instant coffee.
Pay a few bucks more and get a better hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrdave2014
Brasil
Reviewed 17 June 2014

London is an expensive city, but we found a good price on Garden View Hotel, which included a breakfast, simple but enough to start the day.
The room is old, but correct. The location is very good, the hotel is close to Earls Court Station, which leads straight to Heathrow airport, and is also very easy to go to the main points of the city by subway.
One of the receptionists (sorry I forgot her name) was very friendly and helpful and tried to help us speaking some Portuguese.
I recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ABorne
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a week as a 3 person family. It was purchased as part of a package on Expedia and we were trying to save money vs. spending money on a fancy hotel with ammendities. Every staff member was friendly. The breakfast was simple but adequate. I would have appreciated a meat option, but saving money on breakfast was important as the rest of our meals in London came to $35 - $80 a piece. Ouch. The hotel did not have air conditioning in our room but the windows were capable of providing us cool air.

I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Rick M
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed in the hotel for one night in May 2014. The room was quite small with the bed taking up most of the space. However, given the set up was fine for one night. I think I might have found it claustrophobic had I stayed longer. The hotel did offer all the basic amenities one associates with a good in-room service, such as tea/coffee, toiletries, clean towels, hot shower, a television, etc. The staff at the reception desk were very helpful and cheery. The reason I haven't graded the hotel any higher than 'Average' is because the massive disappointment with the breakfast, which was the worst breakfast I have ever had during my stays at a hotel. The hotel served a choice of tea or coffee, white or brown toast, strawberry jam and butter in sachets, orange juice, and cereal and hot milk... fare that one would expect from a home-run service, not a hotel. A really big disappointment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank encarva
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I had read reviews on this place before booking but didn't realise just how small the room would be. Whilst it's in a great location, so close to Earls Court tube and Earls Court High Rd with all the shops, the room was tiny. It fit a double bed with only a small amount of room at the end, so small that my suitcase had to sit in front of the door because it was the only space it would fit. As I was only staying one night I could put up with it, any longer and I would have been searching for somewhere else to stay.
The only other negative was the heating, it was like a sauna throughout the whole hotel. It wasn't cold outside so I'm not sure why they felt the need to keep the heat so high.
On the positive side, it was clean and tidy and the room had everything you would need, for a basic hotel stay.
Breakfast was pretty standard, cereal & toast, nothing special, but enough to fill you up.
The wifi was pretty hit and miss in my room, not sure about the rest of the hotel.
There is lift access to the floors, but as my room was in-between floors I had to carry my suitcases down a flight of stairs to get to it.
As for value for money, anywhere else in the world and I'd say no way, but it's London so what can you expect.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a single, or get a room in between floors.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo