“It'll do if you are there just to sleep”
Review of Elysee Hotel

Elysee Hotel
Ranked #603 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Guam, Mariana Islands
“It'll do if you are there just to sleep”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

If you plan on just finding a place to sleep at night, this "motel" will be
Ok. There is nothing else good about this place. Better off at Lancaster hotel down the street for an extra 8 pounds. Glad I wasn't in the room that much. Internet is pretty bad. You had to pay for each device you had. So for example, you had your phone and a pc, you got charged twice. There's a lovely bar across the street that has free wifi that you can use, plus the bartenders are very nice (and pretty). The doors were barely big enough for my luggage to fit in. I did not get a chance to Try the breakfast and the receptionist was not that friendly. The view from my room was staring at a wall of another building.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sterling E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

A nice older and small Bayswater hotel. Near bus to Victoria station (no 148) although a taxi from/to Victoria is below 15gbp, near Lancaster gate on central line(great for shopping/theatre), just outside entry to Kensington Garden/Hyde park.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank robmars
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Unkept carpets, tiny tiny areas- room, reception, lobby, it's just overall like a very average to below average experience. The location and free wifi is the only thing good about it!

In addition- My room was a little higher than road facing and a single woman with a room at that level, one had to be a little extra careful for privacy.

• Stayed July 2014
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a very nice little hotel in Bayswater. The rooms are very small but clean and well kept. The hotel has a great breakfast for only 5 pounds. Be sure to get your tickets at the front desk before going to the breakfast room. The rates are very reasonable. The hotel is close to Hyde Park and to the tube. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
NC
Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you are looking for an affordable place near Hyde Park, close to Tube (with no need to switch lines to get to center of the city!) and bus stop, car rental station, a few good restaurants which have nice and helpful staff this could work for you.
Small hotel, sure not 4-5 star service, but good for those who came to London to be in London, but not the hotel.
Rooms are small, a bit outdated, but clean, have comfortable beds and private bathrooms (very small, but was good for me as I am not a big person). Air-conditioned. Room had a small TV, wi-fi. Note - Wi-fi is limited to 3 devices.
If you have a lot of baggage or need to store it prior to check-in or for a while after you are out - baggage room is available free of charge.
Breakfast in the morning - choices are limited but good.
Special thanks to very helpful staff!
Overall experience - Very Good! And most important - Good Value for the money if you are coming for business or to see the city rather than stay in your room.
I Would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank eandys
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This hotel gives you a nice deal for it's location (central-ish London). It's a minute walk away from Lancaster Gate Station and Hyde park (the northern part.) Walking through Hyde Park (about 10 minutes) will take you to South Kensington (museums, Imperial College, Royal Albert Hall...) It's about a 10-minutes walk away from Oxford Street (the shopping area). I'd advise taking the Tube if you've got a lot of shopping to bring back though.

I stayed here for 3 nights in a double room that was somewhat small. The bed itself took up around 60% of the room space and my luggage took up most of the remaining free floor space, which meant that I had to get on my bed to access my clothes hanging in the closet. The toilet was rather small as well, but it didn't affect me very much. Nighttime noise from the pub across the road could be heard quite clearly (loudly) despite closing the windows and curtains fully - if you're sleepy enough, the comfortable beds should be of help though!

One last thing to note - wi-fi is FREE but rather slow (as a gauge I tried to write my review in my room on the last day before checking out but I couldn't load the page successfully - I'm not going to be unfair and base my judgement on watching movies or playing games and downloading lots of pictures - all of which I didn't try to do!) *For comparison, I reviewed 2 hotels using their in-room wi-fi in Dorset and the Tripadvisor page loaded smoothly and I could submit the reviews.

Room Tip: Perhaps away from the pub, or higher up
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The only time I've ever done a negative review on a hotel is when we stayed in a hotel in Oklahoma. We had our cat with us, and we put some cat food in a dish for her. Soon, we saw the cat food marching across the rug, carried by large ants headed for the front door. As such, there was the negative review.

The Elysee Hotel in London is a pretty nice place. Clean lobby, clean room, clean breakfast area, and the breakfast buffet was very good for 5 Pounds. My room was a single, with a twin bed that was fairly accessible, but no points off for that because I'm a big guy. Mattress was perfect and I had some good night's sleep on it. Location is great, almost across the street from Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens. There is a pub across the street, and another one, The Swan, which we frequented a couple of times, and it was wonderful. There was even a little grocery store across the street. Bathroom was clean, and the shower was small but clean also. Then why the negative rating? Because the moment you enter the door at the Elysee hotel in London, it is you against the boys behind the desk who are supposed to help you. The attitude is as negative as humanly possible, and you can smell the "Us Against Them (the customer) environment immediately. The "free" wi-fi was free, but only for a certain time. I had three devices, but was told that I could only use one. It was a good connection in the lobby, but on the third floor, it was, at best, in and out. At one point, I could not get the internet for a long period of time, so I went to the lobby to state my case and take my punishment. I tried one device in the lobby with no connection. I then asked the service person at the desk if there was a problem, and was instantly told that yes, there was a problem, and it was with my device. I had another with me, and asked if I could please try that one to see if it would connect. I was told yes, and tried to connect that device, and it did not connect either. My service person proceeded to tell me that there was a problem with BOTH of my devices. I told him that he was wrong, and he said there was nothing he could do. I asked his first name, because this opposing team on the other side of the desk does not wear name tags of any sort. He of course, refused to give it to me. I had had quite enough, and I asked him if I could take his picture for identification to report him to hotel management above him. He said that if I took his picture, he would sue me. That was enough for me. I apologized to him for taking up his time, went up to my room and went to sleep. Take my word. I am not a jerk. I am respectful, and easy to please, and usually try to see things from the other point of view. This hotel is nice. The location, cleanliness, access to the Underground are great. Prior reviews told me that the staff was friendly and helpful. I spent much time in the lobby of this hotel connected to the internet because that was the best connection. I did not see friendly and helpful staff. One thing I noticed was the directions. I don't care if you were trying to get to the sun or the moon, the directions were always the same when someone asked. "Take a right out the door, and then another right, and it is right there", was told to people over and over again. Thing is, I liked this hotel. If they promised new staff, or a staff that has been retrained, I would go back. Oh well!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank djr_nh

Travellers are raving about these London hotels