“Perfect for a stay in or near West End.”

Grange Buckingham Hotel
Ranked #591 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel in February, we stayed as we went to the theatre and wanted to stay in London.

Actually booked into the hotel next door (Clarendon hotel), they phoned whilst on route to London to say there was a maintenance problem and that they needed to move us into the hotel next door, The Buckingham hotel. They said they would upgrade us to a luxury room at no extra cost, we did not have much choice so accepted it.

Found the hotelm it was in a nice area with a number of hotels along the road. There is no parking for this hotel, we knew this and decided to worry about it when we arrived, there is a big underground car park a few minutes walk away, 24hour £35+, we drove around the corner and found an underground car park for £18, problem was it was closed on Saturdays!!! but the car park attendant pointed us towards the Imperial Hotel (less than 5 minutes walk from the Buckingham). Great value carpark at £18 for 24 hours.

Back to the hotel, We had room 1, very very big room with big big bed, lovely room, nice en-suite bathroom with bath and shower etc.

Breakfast was continental style, plenty of it can not complain, Breakfast was in the conservatory which only had a few tables, could imagine it gets very hectic at ''rush hour'', if you get in there early you will not have a problem.

My only complaint was that room 1 issituated near to the front door and there is noise when people come and go, especially in the early hours. I did have to complain about noise and was told somebody from the hotel management would be in touch with me, I am still waiting (4 weeks now).

I would return to this hotel or the Clarendon but would insist on a quiet room away from the front door/reception.

Hotel is in a great location, 10 minutes brisk walk to the theatres (Lyceum), we also walked to Covent garden, Soho, Leicester square, Piccadilly Circus, Regent Street, Tottenham Court Road.

Room Tip: Definitely not room 1
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StAnnesGY

Reviewed 14 March 2012

I was staying in this grange hotel for 3 nights. My room was very big with a nice bathroom with lots of day light. The room was quiet as it was last floor and windows did not go to the side of the street, so I slept really well.
The very good impression of the hotel was spoiled by the fact that they were insisting for paying upfront.
Localisation is excellent, Russel Square is really close.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is a lovely hotel. I was upgraded to a large room with a massive very comfy bed. I loved having a kitchen area with a microwave and fridge. The staff were all really nice and it's a great location for eating out - especially Italian! The only disappointment was the breakfast. It's served in a very nice but small conservatory. For continental breakfast it was okay if a bit limited and the cheese, ham and eggs looked as if they had been sitting out for a while.

Room Tip: basement room was a bit noisy but that's to be expected in London. I never travel without earpl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I booked this hotel as a birthday weekend treat for my husband. The hotel was situated one street away from the London museum but the street its self was very quiet and tucked away. The room was much bigger than expected and was very clean (apart from the curtains which could have done with a good wash!) We were able to walk to many of the main attractions from here and alwasy felt safe. I would definitely stay at this hotel again though they do pre authorisation from your card and then full payment at the end which was slightly annoying. One the whole, a great choice!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed at the Buckingham for 8 nights on our last visit to London during Christmas week 2011. We were really happy with the location of the hotel- one to two blocks each way from Tube stop - Russell Square and Holborn. It was one block over from a main street, one block from British Museum and on a side street between two park squares. The staff were excellent in being courteous, attentive and friendly. They always offered assistance in any mention of what we were doing or where we were going. Our room (202)was a fair size with a kitchenette. This was great for our "snacks" and wine/beer we'd purchase at the nearby Sainsbury, just across from Holborn tube stop. The bed was really comfortable and I wanted to find out what type so I could have one at home. We did not have breakfast there as the price was too costly for us. But we had the Sainsbury for pastries and a Pret Manger within short walk. There was a tube strike on Boxing Day but we found we could walk to Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square almost quicker than a tube ride. Buses run constantly on the main street, Southampton Row. Our son stayed at the Chancery Hotel and our daughter at Club Quarters, both paying twice what we paid and were not with any better location or comfort. We have holidayed in London seven times and this is our preferred location and hotel. Thanks to all at the Buckingham.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2012

2 blocks from the British Museum. Close to Holborn or Russell Sq tube station (Piccadilly line) so you can get to the other attractions quickly even by walking. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. Bed is comfy and the room is clean and spacious compared to a more expansive hotel which I also stayed during this trip. If I MUST say 1 negative thing about the Buckingham Hotel, then I guess the constant pumping in the background might bother some. It's not that loud but at night you hear it. I am not a light sleeper so it did not bother me. I will MOST CERTAINLY stay at this hotel again and I recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Walking distance to Holborn tube station which connects to 3 major Underground lanes. A relatively quiet street close to two parks. Staff at the hotel is friendly. My room (202) was quite big for London. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business