“Clean, large and very comfortable room” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grange Buckingham Hotel

Grange Buckingham Hotel
Ranked #571 of 1,086 Hotels in London
kent
“Clean, large and very comfortable room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

This hotel is in a great but quiet location. The service staff on the reception were all friendly. I am a very light sleeper and rarely sleep the whole night so as we were on the ground floor I did hear the phone ringing in the reception area several times in the night and hear the kitchen staff arriving in the morning but the bed was very comfortable and being a king size large enough for me not to disturb my husband. I would stay here again. Sorry unable to comment on the food as we ate out but it is great to have a full size fridge (with a freezer compartment) microwave and kitchen sink.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cunnisto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012 via mobile

Been to lots of hotels in London with work but this is my favourite - rooms are quiet, has microwave so I can have healthy hot food whilst I'm away. Tv wasn't working properly - rang down and it was fixed in 5 mins and with a smile! Would recommend and obviously will be back soon too...

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Abi43
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

A very nice hotel, that was a 5 minute walk from the New London Theatre where we watched Warhorse.
Very nicely appointed, obliging staff and although the 'dining area' is small, an excellent breakfast was laid on.
Will be returning!

Room Tip: the website didn't allow me to specify a twin room and when we arrived we had been allocated a d...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Bridgette B
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for one night but it definitely was not worth the price and it definitely is not a luxury hotel but any standard. Our hotel room was in a damp and moldy basement suite. There were 4 holes cut in the tiles on the bathroom floor for some reason unknown to me but stubbing my toe in one of the holes was not pleasant. Also there were sealed windows in the room at about 8 feet up. If there had been a fire in the hotel I am pretty sure we would have perished as there was no way for us to get to the windows even if they could be opened.
The carpet was stained and had mold growing on it. I wore my slippers whenever I had to walk on it.
The waiting area in the hotel included two couches that had not only seen better days but were lumpy, worn and as a result uncomfortable.

On the positive side the front desk staff were friendly and helpful with storing our baggage when we arrived prior to the room being available. We sat in the waiting area for almost an hour while we waited for our room (I do not hold the hotel responsible for this) however when one of the on duty managers realized we were waiting so long he indicated that he would find an alternate room. He never came back and when we got our key to our room the cleaning staff were still in the room trying to finish it up.
All in all a terrible experience and I am advising my friends to avoid any Grange Hotel. I advised the front desk staff when I checked out that I was not happy with their hotel.
Final recommendation - at over $200/night you can get much better accommodation so do not stay here. I have pictures of the above and will be sending them and a formal letter to the hotel management.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sharon B
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

The hotel look very nice from the outside and in a central area which made it easy to walk to most areas. The first night we were put in the basement. We have never stayed in a hotel where we were placed in the basement with only a very small long window at the top of the wall. We immediately asked to be changed and were told to check back in the morning to see if that could be arranged. First thing in the morning we inquired again about the change and was moved to the first floor at street level looking directly out the front of the hotel. This was better for us and we did appreciate the move. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel due to previous reviewers. As long as your not in the basement we would give this hotel an average rating.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed here one weeknight on a business trip before heading to Heathrow airport in the morning. The location is excellent, the immediate area is quiet and safe, and within walking distance (10-15min) of a number of shops, restaurants, and the British museum. Getting to the airport was as easy as walking 5-6 min to the Holburn underground. Trains from Holburn go straight to Heathrow. As others of have mentioned, it is a converted townhouse, but it has 3 floors with rooms (Basement, 2nd, and 3rd) and an elevator. Staff was friendly but I had very little interaction with them.

I had a tiny studio room, which still managed to have a sink, refrigerator, microwave and a double bed. The room was clean and comfortable. I did find some soap scum on the shower, but otherwise the room was spotless. They do charge about £10 for 24hr internet access, which is far too much.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank demonsavatar
Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed here for two nights on business. Hotel was chosen by my hosts primarily due to its location very close to Russel Square.
This is one of those refurbished townhouse "boutique" hotels which have cropped up all over London.
My room was good sized, on the basement level. This meant that the only view outside the window was of the small area (running along the length of the room), from which a flight of stairs runs up to street level. I assume that, in the past, this was where the building's dustbins were located. Today - while clean, this does not make for a comfortable "view". Not only that, but I also discovered that this "underground yard" also has a permanent and strong "night light" (probably to disuade someone from turning it into their nighttime "pad") which meant that I had to make sure that all the blinds were hermetically closed in order to get some sleep. As the hotel does not have air conditioning and this meant that I couldn't open a window - you can assume I was not really happy.
Apart from this - the room was actually quite comfortable. A reasonable (but not greatly comfortable) bed, a well-appointed bathroom with a separate shower stall. All in all - OK, but definitely not great.
Some additional annoyances included: (1) In spite of repeated (and quite powerful) efforts I couldn't get the shower stall to actually work. In the end - I used the shower in the bath, which was less appealing; (2) The BBC channels on the TV did not work; (3) The room to my door was located at the end of a short corridor in the basement, which had a rather strong nasty smell (and I have a bad sense of smell). Luckily, the smell did not permeate the room (or if it did, did not pass my high smell threshold) but definitely made any entry or exit from the room a rather hasty affair.
I did ask the (very polite) receptionist to see another room. It turned out that mine was probably one of the better rooms at the hotel and a possible replacement on the 1st floor did not look appealing, being situated exactly at street level, so I decided to stay where I was.
For breakfast, we were sent to a neighbouring hotel from the same chain (there was an option to eat in the hotel, but the variety looked smaller). Both food and service were very good and the full English breakfast well done and tasty.
All in all, this is probably a good choice for someone wanting a very reasonably priced (not to say cheap) hotel in a central location. However, this is not what I look for in a hotel, and I personally would prefer to pay more in order to get better quality.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business