“Unusually quiet spot in Central London”
Review of Goodenough Club

Goodenough Club
Ranked #29 of 847 Speciality Lodging in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Unusually quiet spot in Central London”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

After reading other Trip Advisor revues, I was pleasantly surprised at what I found after booking a 2-night stay. I can't understand why people say this is difficult to find - walking distance from Kings Cross/St. Pancras and Russell Square tube on the doorstep. Yes it's a bit unusual in hotel terms and very much geared up for academia. But, it has 24-hr reception and the rooms are very quiet, one of the best night's sleep I've had in Central London. You need to get a decent rate, Late Rooms or similar - the rack rate is not best value. I recommend avoiding the Mews Rooms, these have extensive glazing which does not feel secure and must be very hot in summer. Having said that, I would stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid Mews Rooms
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David_B186356

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

It's an odd place , well to anyone who is not part of the so called " Academic circle" . It's a row of houses that has been adapted to provide accommodation only . no bar ,restaurant, or any facilities whatsoever , apart from the room . Not to say the rooms are not pleasant . It is hard to find , even the London cabbie said he struggled to find it . Please put more precise details on your web site . Breakfast was good enough , all though the silence from the Academics having their subsidised breakfast in the morning gave an air of " we have intruders in our mist " feel . And when my phone rang the glaring from some of the regular establishment was akin to a lynch mob. So I finished my breakfast and asked permission to leave the table. Staff are fine and helpful .But for £164.00 per night is it good enough?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dr G
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Very easy to get to by tube (& close enough to King's Cross & Euston), this was not a normal looking hotel. Based around a square, I saw very modern apartment-type buildings, all with their own block door (& some basement stairs & doors). Although the building which had the reception was difficult to locate, once found the service was good, and they walked me to my room which was in a building a couple of doors down. The rooms were one of the better rooms that I've stayed in. The bedroom was quite big, very clean. The bathroom was outstandingly modern looking. However I felt it lacked ambience that other hotels have, and this is purely down to the impersonal separation of buildings, and no communal areas, apart from across the square in one what I can only describe as a school assembly hall. This was worth the London price paid, and I would consider staying again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank IndyS83
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I was put up here by an inviting university. Overall I was very happy. Great location, on the direct Underground line (Picadilly) from Heathrow, then 5 minutes walk. Clean, reasonably quiet, solid wifi. I was in one of the 'Mews' room (601) which worked out fine. I understand that some may find all the glass a bit too exhibitionistic but I closed the blinds and did not have a problem with it.

One minor gripe I have is that they did not replenish the shampoo/soap while I was there (3 days). Do they expect guests to go shampoo shopping??

Also, the front desk is supposedly staffed 24/7 but when I called the night before leaving to ask for a wake-up call, nobody answered the phone. I got my clothes on and walked to the reception (through the rain since I was not in the main building) and it was locked and nobody there. I called again a half hour later and the receptionist was back. Not really a big deal but this, together with the shampoo things, makes me lower my service grade a bit. Oh, I did receive my wake up call the next morning.

I only could partake in the breakfast one morning since I had to attend early meetings the other days. I went for the cooked breakfast in the college across the street and it was very good (and very English!). The usual tea-making paraphernalia are available in the room, plus a dorm-sized fridge.

I did not pay but I saw the bill paid by the university and it was extremely reasonable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ErnestFromBaltimore
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed one night for NYE.

A few minutes walk to/from several tube stations, the Goodenough Club is spread over a number of different buildings around Mecklenburgh Square. We were upgraded to a suite with a decent sized bedroom, huge living room (see photos) and a shower room. Reception was in the building adjacent to where our room was situated and check-in was very smooth.

We were told that a continental breakfast was served in the same building as the reception but if we wanted a cooked breakfast we needed to go across the road. It is only a short walk but you are effectively eating in canteen. This said, the food was fine and there was a good choice.

Free wi-fi and a small fridge are provided but couldn't find a safe that we could use. The bedroom had a large wardrobe, plenty of drawer space, tea making facilities and a couple of bottles of water.

Eat at the Lamb in Lamb's Conduit Road, a minute or two's walk away. Good beer and nice food.

The place is efficiently run, the staff were friendly and the room was very clean.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tiggerwoods
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I had spent 4 days in this hotel which I considered is very good from different aspects,service is very good but ask them not to forget to put water in your room but the room service in it is very good.The front office employee is very helpful.the option that you could take a light breakfast in same building or you could move to another building to eat a complete breakfast is very good and make you won't feel boring.
If I came again to London, i would love to stay there

Room Tip: It's better to stay in the rooms in the uper floor because the hotel is consist only of 2 floors...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Setagaya, Japan
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Not a 4start hotel per se but a well run BR with collegial atmosphere - exactly what it purports to be. Those booked into upper floor rooms in this 5 storey town house complex - can expect a tedious walk up a narrow flight of stairwell. Definitely not for senior travellers with heavy luggage. Otherwise, the rooms are clean and well kept for a room at this price range in this part of town. The particular room I checked into suffered from broken mini-fridge (completely unoperational) and a sink that was slow to drain - but these were not fatal shortcomings for my short stay this time. The front desk staff are friendly and prompt.

Room Tip: it may be a case of "you get what you pay for". I stayed in a single on the 3F (in the UK...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo