“Great show, lovely theatre”

Theatre Royal Drury Lane
42nd Street Theater Show in London
Ranked #96 of 1,827 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Since 1663 the Theatre Royal Drury Lane has provided entertainment for the masses and has been visited by every monarch since the Restoration.The theatre has not one, but two, royal boxes and it was here that the public first heard both the National Anthem and Rule Britannia. Previous buildings were managed by the great actor David Garrick and the famous playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan and he current, fourth, building was opened in 1812.The theatre was renowned for its spectacular Victorian melodramas and pantomimes but since the 1920s its history has mirrored the development of the modern musical. From the original London productions of American musicals Rose Marie, The Desert Song and Show Boat, through Ivor Novello’s romantic operettas and Rodgers and Hammerstein’s groundbreaking post-war shows to The Producers and The Lord of the Rings. My Fair Lady held the record as the theatres longest run for many years but Cameron Mackintosh’s record breaking production of Miss Saigon, at ten years, is the current record holder.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lovely theatre , and a fantastic show, we took the children to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory over the bank holiday. I would thoroughly recommend the show

1  Thank Pete B
"front row"
in 13 reviews
"story line"

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Went to see the the new cast of CATCF with my son, he previously was lucky enough to see it with the original cast (Douglas Hodge).

The show was brilliant, the new guy, Alex Jennings, was very at home with the role of Willy Wonka. My son said, although not as strong a singer as Douglas Hodge, he made the role his own. The very talented character actor, Barry James, played an exceptional Grandpa Joe. My son said he preferred him over the previous Nigel Planer.

They allow you to take your own sweets in with you, so stock up as you'll be peckish for chocolate!!

The only downsides to the show was we didn't want it to end and the music is stupidly catchy. Cue the soundtrack downloaded from iTunes (it's a lot cheaper than from the foyer).

An exceptional piece of theatre, with the friendliest of front of house staff. We were also lucky enough to meet the director Sam Mendes.

A true West End treat

Reviewed 25 May 2014

If you don't have the 250 GBP to shell out on a show, take the back stage tour. Way more fun than any theater production. I guess you could say I am partial. My great grandfather was in a production of the King and I performed at this theater. But the backstage tour was such a delight. The actors really make it a blast. It is touted as the oldest theater in London, albiet it has been rebuilt. Absolutely beautiful!!! I think I go to theaters just to marvel at the architecture.

1  Thank hayspartyoffive
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I booked tickets to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for my Wife's birthday. After checking Theatre Monkey, and a long conversation with a helpful guy on the telephone, I booked 2 tickets in the Stalls Row L fairly central. These are just behind the premium seats and at £62 were much better value.

The theatre itself, like many in the West End is classically beautiful but a bit tired. We took our seats, which gave a great central view of the stage. The problem is that there is very little rake, so if you have tall people in front it can block out half the stage. You also sit very deep into the seats. It was not too bad for us, and we had a decent view most of the time. We did not buy drinks or food so cannot review these, although we did buy a small Wonka Bar that was okay.

Overall a satisfactory theatre experience, but you need to choose your seats carefully. The show, on the other hand, was amazing and highly recommended.

2  Thank Gaz_n_Nic
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were in London celebrating our wedding anniversary and decided to book tickets to see Charlie and the Chocolate factory at the Theatre Royal. The theater's location is very easy to get to whether you're staying in a soho hotel or catching the tube. Our seats were located in the upper balcony that is accessed by a separate outside entrance from the main theater, and might I suggest hiring a sherpa and taking a canteen of water for the hike up these stairs. I wouldn't consider myself unfit by any means, but I was more than happy to make the turn and see the last flight of stairs at the top. If you're taking along children be sure to ask for booster seats, otherwise they'll struggle to see anything at all really with the stadium style layout. The seat cushions themselves were worn and could do with a refit to be honest. Enjoy the performance, not the venue.