“Exclusive tour”

US$48.51*
Jack the Ripper Tour and London Ghost Walk
US$105.11*
and up
London Super Saver: London City Sightseeing Including Tower of London plus Jack...
Ranked #90 of 1,724 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Since 1663 the Theatre Royal Drury Lane has provided entertainment for the masses and has been visited by every monarch since the Restoration.The theatre has not one, but two, royal boxes and it was here that the public first heard both the National Anthem and Rule Britannia. Previous buildings were managed by the great actor David Garrick and the famous playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan and he current, fourth, building was opened in 1812.The theatre was renowned for its spectacular Victorian melodramas and pantomimes but since the 1920s its history has mirrored the development of the modern musical. From the original London productions of American musicals Rose Marie, The Desert Song and Show Boat, through Ivor Novello’s romantic operettas and Rodgers and Hammerstein’s groundbreaking post-war shows to The Producers and The Lord of the Rings. My Fair Lady held the record as the theatres longest run for many years but Cameron Mackintosh’s record breaking production of Miss Saigon, at ten years, is the current record holder.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I went here in May and did a backstage tour. I have a family history connection to the Theatre as my ancestors worked here in the 1860's. I was so lucky. I was the only one there, so got a one on one tour.
I found it fascinating, informative and just plain interesting. This theatre led the way and has so many, "firsts" or, "was the only one", in its history, more people should go. To see what goes on behind the big productions as well as how theatre got to where it is today was great.
I am soooooo sore not to remember the name of the young lady that lead me around but her knowledge and abilty to stay on story, when I kept babling on about my family connection was great.
This is a real hidden gem and I recommend this to anyone who loves the stage and wants to peek behind the curtain.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This was my 2nd visit to this theatre and having sat in the rear of the stalls previously and missed parts of the performance due to balcony overhang I choose royal circle seats this time and had a fantastic view! These were 3rd price seats but the view was first class. Beautiful old theatre and easy to walk to from various tube stations. Show was fantastic and set design amazing.

4  Thank tjwillco
Reviewed 2 June 2014

When reviewer Hayspartyoffive wrote his enthusiastic review he made me feel very old. He says that his GREAT grandfather was in the first British production of The King and I. OMG so was I, makes me feel like a museum piece. My memories of those two years at Drury Lane (including those Rogers and Hammerstein auditions) can be found at www.love life and moving pictures.com
The backstage tour of this fine and historic theatre is well worth the modest price, a memorable part of London visit.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lovely theatre , and a fantastic show, we took the children to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory over the bank holiday. I would thoroughly recommend the show

1  Thank Pete B
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Went to see the the new cast of CATCF with my son, he previously was lucky enough to see it with the original cast (Douglas Hodge).

The show was brilliant, the new guy, Alex Jennings, was very at home with the role of Willy Wonka. My son said, although not as strong a singer as Douglas Hodge, he made the role his own. The very talented character actor, Barry James, played an exceptional Grandpa Joe. My son said he preferred him over the previous Nigel Planer.

They allow you to take your own sweets in with you, so stock up as you'll be peckish for chocolate!!

The only downsides to the show was we didn't want it to end and the music is stupidly catchy. Cue the soundtrack downloaded from iTunes (it's a lot cheaper than from the foyer).

An exceptional piece of theatre, with the friendliest of front of house staff. We were also lucky enough to meet the director Sam Mendes.

A true West End treat