“Good view of stage - if you can pay for a good seat!” 4 of 5 bubbles

42nd Street Theater Show in London
Ranked #137 of 1,568 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Since 1663 the Theatre Royal Drury Lane has provided entertainment for the masses and has been visited by every monarch since the Restoration.The theatre has not one, but two, royal boxes and it was here that the public first heard both the National Anthem and Rule Britannia. Previous buildings were managed by the great actor David Garrick and the famous playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan and he current, fourth, building was opened in 1812.The theatre was renowned for its spectacular Victorian melodramas and pantomimes but since the 1920s its history has mirrored the development of the modern musical. From the original London productions of American musicals Rose Marie, The Desert Song and Show Boat, through Ivor Novello’s romantic operettas and Rodgers and Hammerstein’s groundbreaking post-war shows to The Producers and The Lord of the Rings. My Fair Lady held the record as the theatres longest run for many years but Cameron Mackintosh’s record breaking production of Miss Saigon, at ten years, is the current record holder.
Ilford, United Kingdom
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Good view of stage - if you can pay for a good seat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I was at the Theatre Royal not for the regular show but for a one off charity show and on checking the seating opted for a good seat in the Grand Circle in row B in the middle which proved to be a
good choice as I could see the entire stage with little interference to the view from either the row in front or the circle boundary.
Also on a warm evening it was not too uncomfortable in the theatre so there may be some kind of air conditioning in operation!

Visited June 2014

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Exclusive tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I went here in May and did a backstage tour. I have a family history connection to the Theatre as my ancestors worked here in the 1860's. I was so lucky. I was the only one there, so got a one on one tour.
I found it fascinating, informative and just plain interesting. This theatre led the way and has so many, "firsts" or, "was the only one", in its history, more people should go. To see what goes on behind the big productions as well as how theatre got to where it is today was great.
I am soooooo sore not to remember the name of the young lady that lead me around but her knowledge and abilty to stay on story, when I kept babling on about my family connection was great.
This is a real hidden gem and I recommend this to anyone who loves the stage and wants to peek behind the curtain.

Visited May 2014
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Charlie & the Chocolate factory visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This was my 2nd visit to this theatre and having sat in the rear of the stalls previously and missed parts of the performance due to balcony overhang I choose royal circle seats this time and had a fantastic view! These were 3rd price seats but the view was first class. Beautiful old theatre and easy to walk to from various tube stations. Show was fantastic and set design amazing.

4 Thank tjwillco
“Take the Backstage tour part 2”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

When reviewer Hayspartyoffive wrote his enthusiastic review he made me feel very old. He says that his GREAT grandfather was in the first British production of The King and I. OMG so was I, makes me feel like a museum piece. My memories of those two years at Drury Lane (including those Rogers and Hammerstein auditions) can be found at www.love life and moving pictures.com
The backstage tour of this fine and historic theatre is well worth the modest price, a memorable part of London visit.

Visited July 2013
Etwall, England, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Great show, lovely theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely theatre , and a fantastic show, we took the children to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory over the bank holiday. I would thoroughly recommend the show

Visited May 2014