“Great Show!”

45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great Show!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed in a place in Soho and wanted to see a show. We were able to get discounted tickets (which is really the main reason we went to this show). The show was really good. Music was great, performers were top notch.

The chairs were uncomfortably small, but this is an older theatre , so it's expected. Staff were constantly trying to hawk over priced items.

Show does last quite a while with a break in between. Dress code is lax, many guests were dressed well, many were not. Were in Row T in the stalls, and it was perfect.

1 Thank Aleksander T

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
Trophy Club, Tx
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Lots of classic soul music”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Years ago we saw "The Commitments" movie and loved it because of the music so we were anxious to see the play and go to the Palace Theater. The theater has comfortable seating and good acoustics which made hearing songs like "Mustang Sally'' fantastic. The audience was engaged clapping to the beat and singing along at the finale. What I liked was adequate restroom facilities so there wasn't much of a wait or long line. Intermission-Fun bar where people were singing what they heard in the first half and talking about the play. No problem hailing a cab after the performance .

Visited May 2014
St Albans, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Commitments average, Theatre Royal 'Rubbish' !”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Went last night to see the commitments at the Palace Theatre London. Booked the seats via a last minute 'Deal' of dinner and seats. Whilst the dinner at Tiger Tiger was quite good, albeit that Football was played loudly throughout the restaurant..The seats at the Theatre were truly awful, we were as high in the Theatre as it was possible to go and may as well watched the show on TV the characters were so small from that Distance.
When we asked if it was possible to move to a better seat (many seats were empty) we were told only by paying a £10 pp Upgrade, & the small bottles of larger in the bar were 4.50 each ...what a rip off !! Wont be coming back Theatre Royal......Yea, and like you care ..Right ?
The only people who seemed to enjoy the show were in the stalls on the ground floor, this for us made what could have been quite a good show 'Average'. My recommendation would be not to go to this if you cant stump up the 100 or so quid they ask..Not I !

Norwich, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“An utter insult to an iconic movie”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I saw this at Norwich Theatre Royal in 2014. I must be the only person who found Singin in the Rain to be an utter disappointment. Maybe I'm just not a fan of the whole "overenunciate every word and talk like you're addressing deaf people" way of speaking, which to me isn't hugely necessary now in the eras of personal mikes and speakers in theatres. It's not a Victorian dance hall any more, the people at the back are no longer straining to hear you. This method of speaking can ruin iconic lines in screen-to-stage adaptations, and it did in Singin in the Rain - many times.

But I digress. I'm a huge, HUGE fan of the movie, and very protective of it. I went to see the stage show of Dirty Dancing and enjoyed it as it was very true to the movie and also preserved the very soul of it, which to me is vital for any movie to stage show transition.

Singing in the Rain ripped the heart and soul out of the movie and utterly destroyed it. I was hoping to see the iconic choreography brought to life on the stage, but all of the routines were different. Where was the Charleston and cat's meow in "all I do is dream of you", where was the sofa and the headless dummy on Make em laugh, not to mention the wall-running stunts. Where were the yellow macs and the stairway dance in "good morning" and why on earth was it set on a park bench? "Beautiful" girl was changed from a gentle, romantic number to a glitzy brash number, and no fashion show of outfits, which could easily have been done on the stage. And most disappointingly for me, where was the stunning dance with the Cyd Charisse character where she's in the green dress as the gangster's moll? I would have LOVED to see that routine come to life. I understand that the second part of that routine would be impossible to do on stage with the floaty dress and the gusts of wind but it's insane that the gangster's moll routine was changed to a dull chorus number that involved hardly any interplay between the two main characters. Charisse and Kelly SIZZLED in that number but I got the feeling overall that James Leece was incapable of pulling it off, so they sat him on a chair instead. The iconic Singin in the Rain number was also a let down, again due to James' inability to tap dance...more iconic moments missed out or changed in that number too.

Why on earth was the number that Lina mimes to at the end changed from Singin in the Rain? Why, why, why, there was no need. We were denied our favourite arm-waving moment that Lina did at the mike, plus the rope-pulling stunt that is also a classic moment.

The rainfall effects were indeed impressive and I enjoyed Stephane Anelli's Cosmo and Amy Ellen Richardson's Kathy Selden. Vicky Binns looked far too old to be a "glamorous screen goddess" and utterly ruined the part for me. By the end of the play I had my fingers in my ears as she over-acted and spat out her lines, and once lapsed into a Brummy accent. The new song that was put in for her to sing was like a bad X-Factor audition - which I know, it was supposed to be - but my fingers were in my ears again, it was not a pleasant few minutes. She totally lacked the smooth, feminine yet subtly threatening manner of Lina's character and her mauling of the "shimmering, shining star of the cinema firmament" classic line made me cringe. I can put up with Lina's voice in the movie, it doesn't bother me at all, but Vicky's "Lina" voice was horrendous.

Next time they should put a world class tap dancer in the lead and also in Cosmo's role, I'm sure there are plenty out there who can also sing and act. And bill the musical as "inspired by the movie" as it's certainly not "based on the movie", at least not to me. How can they get permission to use the storyline and the script and songs, but not use a scrap of the original choreography? Am I missing something here?

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“'The Commitments'”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

An energetic, great show. Laugh out loud funny all the way, along with great songs. All standing and singing along at the end. My teenage daughter loved it even though she wasn't familiar with the story or music.