“A lovely discovery for a film-lover.”
Review of BFI Southbank

BFI Southbank
Ranked #300 of 1,611 things to do in London
Zadar, Croatia
3 attraction reviews
“A lovely discovery for a film-lover.”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I didn't get the full experience of the BFI Southbank, but only of the mediatheque room where you can watch numerous films for free, which for me was enough to make me have great associations with the name. I don't know if it's a common thing in the world but where I live we don't have that. Anyway I can't say anything about the prices or staff or something similar.
As I was alone, I didn't really have the courage to just go and discover, but as soon as I got in I read "watch 2000 films for free here" and I was all like "No way", so I went in, checked in (I don't have to mention I immediately liked the quietness of the small room with a couple of computer screens) and spent two evenings there watching Jude Law's and Ben Whishaw's first projects and also the first episode of BBC Sherlock, as well as a documentary about The Smiths. I found it a brilliant source for expanding your film knowledge, beside the fact it's free (and legal).
It's a lovely place to take a rest, and there are plenty of short films so you can get a feeling of it without losing too much time, if that would be your worry.
I am definitely going there again next time I'm in London.

Visited January 2014

• Turkish first
Peterborough
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Too darn hot.”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I was lucky enough to visit the BFI for the remastered screening of A Hard Days Night with the Director Richard Lester giving a talk about the making of the film. If I lived in London and was a film buff I'd be here all the time as the night before Peter Fonda had been there for a talk and screening of Easy Rider. The tickets for these events need to be booked as soon as they come on sale as BFI members have priority but the cost is so reasonable, I paid about £10.
The seats were comfortable and the venue intimate, my only issue was there seemed to be no air conditioning and on the hottest day of the year I felt like I was melting. All that aside if you are visiting Lndon check out what they've got on and combine it with a visit to the South Bank,an excellent day out.

Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Less pretention, more imagination”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The BFI restaurant is overpriced for what it offers, and the menu is dull and unoriginal. The food is mediocre, and the restaurant itself bland. It's a shame as it could be amazing.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Holidaypixie
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“James Dean”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

On a bitterly cold day, it was lovely sitting in the cafe, sipping a coffee and then a beer before watching East of Eden, and The Giant, two of James Dean's films. The BFI is a great place to while away a few hours, and usually have an eclectic selection of films showing. Very cool place.

Visited April 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“My first taste of pollock”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Popped in for a quick bite of lunch. I was going to have the pulled pork burger until I saw the fish and chips. Wow the pollock was lovely and the batter was really light. However the tables were so close together and it was really noisy it was very hard to have a conversation at the table. Saying that I was too interested in the fish. Slight disappointment the mushy peas were cold.

Visited April 2014