“Cold wet and dull”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Cold wet and dull”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

And this wasn't the weather but the pub...

Totally deserted (Weds. lunchtime) apart from a staff member with a streaming sniffling cold.
Our chicken breasts wrapped in bacon were OK but luke -warm, surrounded by warm uncooked carrots & beans (we like our veg lightly cooked.......we also like to be able to get a fork into them).
The sniffling maitre/greeter/waiter was perfectly pleasant but no more.
This is such a wonderful, historic building, and yet felt as warm and welcoming as a bus-station.
Dire Feb. day, where was the roaring fire? Strangers visiting London, where was Mine Host with a warm welcome?
Very sad.

Visited February 2014

Plymouth, United Kingdom
387 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,304 helpful votes
“Worth preserving.”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Always try to drop in if we are in this part of Southwark. Pleased that it is in the hands of the National Trust who will do their best to preserve it, although it does lack a bit of spontaneity and verve as a pub should. Often there are coach loads of tourists. Sometimes the staff seem to lack the enthusiasm necessary for us to feel welcome. The traditional hospitality and bonhomie can be absent. But I like the place. Catch the right moment in the right weather with a clutch of good mates and you can have a very good time.

Visited February 2014
Melbourne, Australia
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“George Inn”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is a really nice place to drop in and visit and have a beer after a day out sightseeing in London. Lucky to survive a bid to demolish it entirely, this little inn is has historic connections to Dickens and reputed to be haunted! Located through an entrance down a laneway there is a yard outside with tables and seats. The interior is quaint and historic and the staff, though it was a busy time of day, were helpful and nice. I called in after a day out and had just been to see Southwark Cathedral which is just over the road as is the market which also has a cute little pub beneath its roof. The George Inn can't help the encroaching modern buildings but this doesn't detract from the experience of visiting this little historic inn. Recommended!

Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Appalling Service”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The service in this place lets it down. It's such a shame because the building is steeped in history and it is exactly for this reason that that they don't need to care about how they treat the customers. There will always be another customer because it is a tourist attraction.
While I was there the other evening, standing at the bar waiting to be served while the young student was emptying the overflow trays; they rang a bell. Last orders was not called out so I was surprised when 20 seconds after the bell was rung a customer was told that he would not be served as he was not standing at the bar when the bell was rung.
I was served but as soon as I got back to my seat at 11.05, I was told to move along the pub and then as soon as we did that, the manager, a lady called Joanne came along 3 times in the,space of a few minutes to tell us to drink up as they had to close up. We had to either gulp our drink down in a few minutes or leave it. We decided to leave. It is such a great shame that this establishment is let down by bad customer service. I was so disappointed.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Michelle W
Sunningdale, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 333 helpful votes
“Fab – ignore the negative reviews!”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I have to say that I arranged a boys' night out at the George Inn with some trepidation as it seems to have gained a reputation for being rather unfriendly. I must say that I experienced just the opposite... courtesy, professionalism and a sense of humour (which is often sadly lacking) despite the hectic atmosphere. My other reservation is that you can't make a reservation. It can get very crowded indeed and pretty frenetic, particularly around Christmas office party time, but we were lucky and managed to secure a nice big table overlooking the courtyard. There is a quieter area upstairs. Its location just south of London Bridge, in the shadow of the Shard, draws city types from across the water. This beautiful, galleried pub is quintessentially Dickensian... indeed it secures a name check in Little Dorrit. Destroyed by fire in 1676, it rose like a phoenix from the ashes... and is now owned by the National Trust and leased to Greene King. You visit the George for its character and ambience, not for gourmet fayre. The food is basic, nicely prepared and very good value. The beers are excellent with a wide choice on draught. I had the calves' liver which was excellently prepared and presented, though perhaps a little tough in places. Altogether a very pleasant surprise. This is a wonderful place to take visitors to London who are looking for a taste of history.

Visited December 2013