“Worst B&B in London- DO NOT STAY!”

Springfield Hotel London
Ranked #975 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I was booked to stay this B&B from 13 to 17th September 2013. Upon arrival, the receptionist seemed fairly pleasant and but the place was completely run down. As a B&B I did not expect for the place to be of 5 star quality however the place did advertise certain amenities such as free Wi-Fi, a phone in every room and so on. My family had booked a triple, so we climbed the 3-4 flights of stairs and finally got to the room. I noticed some bath mats on the bed ( ones you use to wipe your feet) on the bed but I did not take much notice. Since it was late, we decided to go out for some food, before we went out, we decided to freshen up and noticed that in fact there were no towels at all- only the bath mats! So we tried calling the reception and of course the phone was not working nor the Wi-FI. So after climbing all the way down the stairs we were told extremely rudely that the hotel had got the wrong delivery and they had emailed the supplier of towels last week and that it would probably only come at 3am that morning. I suggested that since they knew we were coming and that we had pre-paid that towels should have been made available however the B&B rep took no responsibility and did not even apologize. I asked to speak to a manager and the person's reply was that no was there until Monday! In addition, the toilet had no form of exhaust and the room was a triple. The toilet did not flush and in fact WI- FI did not work anywhere in the establishment. I am surprised that the UK Toursim authorities would allow such an establishment to operate. Since there was no indication as to when we would get towels and given the un-hygienic nature of the establishment we booked another place and moved out promptly the next day!. Of course there was no re-fund given since the room was pre-paid but I would have thought the owners seeing the inconvenience and utter lack of care their representatives had for paying customers, that at least a part refund would have been provided.

Room Tip: Don't stay in this place!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Maneka W
Springfield-Team, Manager at Springfield Hotel London, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Maneka W,

Thank you for your comments. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to the lack of towels on the day of your stay. We do offer fresh towels daily, however as you are aware on that particular night our supplier had mistakenly delivered bath mats instead of towels and we have taken this issue up with our supplier to ensure that it does not happen again.

We are also reviewing our free WiFi system as a result of your comments. We only ask that in the future if you are unable to access the free WiFi you would inform the reception staff and they would be more than happy to assist you with the login details.

Our telephone system is for internal use only and you can easily contact the reception desk day or nigh 24 hours a day by dialing 0. For all external, including international calls there is a pay phone on the 2nd floor. We have chosen this option to minimise the cost our guests, this way they are in control of the cost of any outgoing costs and they will not receive any surprises at the time of check out with a hefty phone bill.

There are newer reviews for Springfield Hotel London

Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Wifi didn't work, toilet wouldn't flush and the carpets smells like they need a good cleaning. Beds were clean, so that's something. Breakfast was excellent with a smiling server who really saved the whole stay for me. Would not stay here again though.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Prophet_N7,

We are sorry we not able to meet your expectations. Your comments have been noted and we have done the following to try to remedy your concerns:

1) We are currently reviewing our Free WiFi system and have managed to identify that only the 3 rooms on the top floor are unable to receive a full service at all times and we are working very hard to remedy this. However if at anytime you do find your service interrupted please contact the reception team and they will do their best to get it up and running again immediately.

2) In an effort to conserve the environment we have installed smaller tanks in our toilets, this means that less water is used during each flush, the only drawback is that they may take a little longer to refill for a second flush as the fist flush will empty the small tank. We are sure that our guests would forgive us this little inconvenience in our effort to be more environmentally friendly.

3) All the carpets in all rooms and public areas have been changed.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to be of service again so we can exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

You cannot call this a hotel you would be better off sleeping rough for the night! looks ok from outside but dont be fooled..... very very very dated and smells damp. Carpets need a good clean... so do the walls. windows broken, loads of stairs if not on ground floor. Rooms are tiny, stains on carpet, mouldy, shower in middle of room and needed a good clean- didnt even want to shower in it.,wash basin coming of wall, toilet so small you couldnt swing a cat and chunks of poo still on toilet brush, yuck!!! Hairdryer had smoke coming out of it when tried to use it, TV keep losing signal. Hallways are like dumping grounds for old beds and furniture.Breakfast..... well what a joke, make sure you have breakfast at 7am other wise you will get cardboard toast that has been sitting there for hours and english breakfast is plated then microwaved when needed and is all out of a can, couldn't eat it. breakfast staff very unhelpful, was made to sit with other peoples dirty plates. We are not fussy people but this hotel was the worst we have ever stayed in. Only good point was location 3 min walk from Paddington Station, you would be better off spending £30 more per night and staying in the Days Inn next door.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear 30kay,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, your comments have been noted and the following actions have been taken.

1) Brand new carpets have been installed in all rooms and public areas.

2) We take hygiene very seriously at the Springfield Hotel and that is why we have a 5 rating ( the highest rating possible) for food hygiene. Our breakfast is prepared fresh everyday and we take pride in providing only quality ingredients.

3) our commitment to hygiene at the Springfield Hotel means that we have taken note of your concerns and have applied a extra special clean to the room you stayed just to make sure that it meets with our guests approval in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I booked this hotel through Late Rooms for my daughter's modelling shoot at Blue Rooms. We also wanted a little weekend break before I was due to have our 2nd second.
The hotel had a discount to our surprise of 50% through Late Rooms so we grabbed the bargain. It was in a gorgeous location, easy to walk to other amenities, restaurants, shops, trams, trains. The hotel receptionist greeted up and allowed us to pay for our room before guiding us to our ground floor room as I had a buggy and was pregnant. The room itself was cosy, had satellite TV, plenty of tea and coffee making facilities, a vending machine in the reception. It was quiet although the room was a little too warm.
The breakfast in the morning was fantastic. The kept offering more toast and drinks. You could have unlimited cereals and milk.
The bathroom was clean and lovely. Warm shower. We even enquired about a take away and asked if we'd have to pick it up and they said no we could have it delivered to our room.
Overall I would definitely stay in this hotel again if I visited London.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Dear Lauren M,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Springfield Hotel and took the time to inform other guests and travelers about it. It is the greatest reward to know that we have been able to meet your expectations and have made your stay with us an enjoyable one.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service again.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I had booked this hotel, I use the word "hotel" instead of sewer, early in February. When I arrived, with my confirmation email in my hand, I was informed there was no room for me. The guy who was supposedly the receptionist couldn't have cared less. He told me all the hotels were booked out because it was Wimbledon, mind you he had taken a deposit from me, then he just went home and left the mess for the next girl to sort out. She wasn't interested either. I eventually shared a room with my sister and her husband, well that was another bad experience, the floor sloped, I was afraid I was going to fall out of bed, the shower was held together with duct tape and was filthy, the hair dryer didn't work, there was no room for my luggage, which had to stay in the lobby, and there is no elevator and we were put on the fifth floor. God help us if there was a fire. I have not received my deposit back nor an apology. This makes Fawlty Towers look like a five star hotel DO NOT STAY THERE UNDER NY CIRCUMSTANCES? FILTHY PLACE And rude people running it.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms there.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Dear Disgusted751,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately your booking was cancelled due to an invalid credit card as was your sisters and during the busy period that was Wimbledon we had only one option and that was to offer you a triple room for you both. The deposit that you had paid was to a booking agent and not directly to the hotel.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I had the misfortune to book the Springfield Hotel for one night. What a terrible place. I actually rang last year to find out if they charged a deposit and was assured they didn't. Wrong I was charged on my credit card immediately and had to pay the international fee. I asked for a room on the ground floor as we were travelling with luggage and was told that as I was booking so early that this could be arranged. Wrong. We were given a triple room on the 5th floor. No elevator. My sister was travelling with us and had booked, had it confirmed and had her deposit taken from her credit card, No booking. The guy that I spoke to last year, was just going off duty and didnt care. The girl who took his place could barely speak english. My sister had to share our room. It was so small her luggage had to stay in the lobby. The floor sloped, the shower was held together with duct tape. There were dirty black finger marks in the pipe in the shower. This was a disgusting hotel and I advise anyone thinking of booking it please dont. The only thing it has going for it is location. There are several hotels near it. Go there. My friend stayed in the Days Inn next door. It at least had an elevator. There is a toilet on the first floor and it was blocked and one can only guess how long it had been like that.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear retiredmumma,

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com