“Pleasantly surprised!”
Review of Eaton Square Hotel

Eaton Square Hotel
Ranked #1,032 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I booked this hotel very last minute for a very reasonable rate without looking at the trip advisor reviews first which is something I would never normally do. We were quite worried after reading the reviews but were so relieved on arrival! The reception area is pretty fancy as mentioned in other reviews and we were told we had been upgraded to a room in topham's hotel which is where you check in. The room was perfect for 1 night, adequate size, slightly shabby around the edges but clean and the bed though small was very comfortable. We paid 60 quid for the night and would have been happy to spend up to 100 considering the size of the room and the excellent location!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DrJebbz
Sean H, General Manager at Eaton Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.
We value your comments as they are the best way for us to give a better service to our guests
The property has been refurbished recently so it is good to see all the hard work paying off.
We hope you will continue to stay us and will be back in the near future.
Regards
Sean H
Manager

There are newer reviews for Eaton Square Hotel

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed here on Business in March 2014, website excellent at advertising fantastic accommodation, firstly, the reception and restaurant are separate from the accommodation, we were in the attic, up 4 flights of steep stairs, bathroom terrible, curtain and towels dirty, shower terrible, no water pressure and dirty, television could only be viewed if you stood up, size of a small computer screen.

Very small and stuffy room, no control over guests coming in late at night and waking up the whole hotel as separate from main hotel.

Terrible nights sleep, would not recommend,

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank minigirl5
Reviewed 21 March 2014

From other reviews there are obviously some reasonable rooms here, but don't take the risk. You don't know what you will get! Give yourself a break and pick any other hotel.

While I booked on for Tophams, I got given a room in Belgravia Mews involving a walk down the road and obviously managed by the same people. I had deliberately avoided Belgravia Mews due to the poor reviews, despite the cheaper price. These poor reviews were deserved.
My room reservation said " Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and the flat-screen TV offers cable channels. Featuring a minibar, coffee/tea maker, complimentary toiletries and climate control". The description on laterooms said free broadband.
The shower was broken. The window wouldn't shut (climate control?). There was no wifi or broadband. The TV didn't work. As I was arriving late and alone they obviously gave me the worst room they couldn't give to anyone else. I have to admit I didn't complain - it was 11.30 at night, I was up early the next morning and too tired.

I work near here and stay overnight a lot in this neighbourhood. This was by far the worst of any of the hotels I have tried near here. I've stayed at a lot of cheap £30 a night hotels in Victoria, and will stay in a lot more. This was worse than any of them. Avoid.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank AWorldGeek
Reviewed 16 March 2014

1 of 5 stars Pending review
Right, so we picked this room as it was cheap and we thought well for £60 a night it must be bare minimum; which was what we expected but no I wouldn't let a dog sleep here!

Firstly, if you want baby sitting book your room here, the front doors are all locked and every time you want to go in you have to walk about 15 doors up to their reception to get in, then they walk you to your room door.

if you're staying in number 50 building, well.. it's basically their cleaning bases. Most rooms here look like they're used for cleaning storage etc. We were given a room on the very top floor, after walking up 3 flights of stairs, there was a small set of stairs which our suitcase wouldn't even fit up. Book this room if you only have a backpack.

They were nice enough to at least let us leave the suitcase there from 6am before check-in until 2pm. When checking in, we were told we had to pay a £30 deposit for the room, I happily obliged after being reassured that it would be automatically refunded on departure and that I would see the money within a few hours of leaving. Well, whilst checking out, they told me and all the other guests, this was not the case and we would have to wait a week and that was company policy,. this company works through deception.

Upon getting in the room, it looked decent I'm not going to lie, the bed was at least comfy. The bathroom looked pretty nice too. It's a converted storage cupboard in the attic. That's why it's so cheap. Then we turned the shower on, I'm not over exaggerating when I say I had to sit down to get enough water out of it to wash the soap of my shivering body. The TV received no signal also, good job the sights completely make up for it.

We booked it because there simply was no where else, if you're looking at booking this purely on price, please just don't., it's not worth the hassle nor the misery that entails with the room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank 444backpacker
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I wished I had read the reviews of other travellers before staying here :( however, as it was the night before valentines' day and as the Grosvenor has booked, I unfortunatelty booked myself & 2 colleagues into this hotel as it was convenient for work the next day. As described by other travellers, we checked into the impressive reception with it's shiny marble floor and suit of polished armour in the corner and thought this would be a good place to stay. Thank god we were only there for one night! There is no chair in the double room and as I sat on the edge of the bed, it collapsed and exposed a large screw sticking out. I tried to plug in the telephone to call reception, it did not work. On walking down the street to complain, I first had to wait for someone to be moved as they had paid for a King size bed and didn't get one, I was told they had no spare rooms left with en suite bathrooms, so I could move, but would have to share a bathroom. The pile of towels shoved under the bed rectified the levelling problem. So, right to hang up my clothes - alas someone had jammed an ironing board diagonally across the wardrobe with so much force I could not remove it, so I couldn't hang up my clothes. The light on the landing was broken outside the room so you can't see to lock or unlock your door, and the fire extinguisher was just dumped there, not on it's bracket so I guess they might use this on a regular basis to prop the door open.so they can see. Workmen were in the hallway below and when they finished dumped their tools and a sheet of plasterboard, that was there all night. My colleagues had to go up 3 flights of stairs to get to their rooms, with luggage. I hate the way this hotel pretends to be great but it really is poor and their customer service is terrible, when I wanted to complain to the manager he was unavailable, so I filled in a lengthy complaint form, I have heard nothing 2 weeks later! Don't stay here!

Room Tip: Stay at the Grosvenor instead
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I had a very good discount for a one night stay at Tophams, so I was not expecting much. That said, this was below my expectation for a 3 Stars Hotel not to mention one that is supposed to be 4 Stars!

The hotel rooms are spread across different buildings. I got building no. 50, so beware!

The room was minuscule. I mean very very small. The bathroom was surely a converted built-in closet.

To add further to the disappointment, no Wi-Fi. Not that I would have wanted to stay in my room if not while asleep.

2  Thank Byond_Zen
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Booked this on Late Rooms that advertised it at a reduction of over £500 yes thats right, thought I was booking a bargain. Booked this for my son who had to stay in London unexpectedly. As mentioned in other reviews you book in at the hotel and then are taken to accommodation elsewhere. In this case, 3rd floor poor quality accommodation. He got a better shower from the skylight leaking window than in his actual room. Bed clean. Shower poor, and no plug in the sink. Didn't go for breakfast, enough was enough,
I am going to report this to Late Rooms, I do think that if its shows there is a price reduction of such a great amount it is misleading and the expections of the guest are quite high when the room is supposedly £600 per night!!

Room Tip: Read the reviews before booking this hotel and be careful of deals. Low costs and low quality
1  Thank moirayeo