“Great hostel, definitely worth a visit”
Review of Wake up!

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Wake up!
Ranked #450 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great hostel, definitely worth a visit”
Reviewed 21 July 2005

This place is a true hostel. It is basic but has all the facilities I needed like the net cafe and cooking facilities. I met loads of people in the bar and just had great fun. All the staff were really helpful and they even managed to get me last minute tickets to a West End show for a really cheap price. Would definitley go back again when i return to London.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Families
Couples
Rochester, MN
Reviewed 3 July 2005

I was pretty miserable here, feeling like a sardine stuffed into a too-small can. I had a single with a shared bath (there are also hostel-style shared rooms); it had the most uncomfortable "mattress" I have ever slept on. The shared kitchen was smelly, the laundry room was only accessible through a bar full of 18 year olds, and the desk staff was overworked and underknowledgable. I didn't mind the Paddington/ Bayswater neighborhood, but there were approximately 100 hotels between my hotel and the tube station, so it felt like quite a hike-- and then, when I got there, up 4 rickety flights of stairs (no elevator). Sort of cheap, and really feels it.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank lovriena
Barcelona (Spain)
Reviewed 22 June 2005

This hotel is the worst we have ever been.

We have paid 150 pounds (220 €) for three nights and the breakfast was not included. We felt robbed.

No comment about the bedroom. You can imagine how it is.

If we had to look for a new "Bed & Breakfast" in London we would look for in Victoria. The quality will be the same but the location will be better.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank Francho
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2005

I stayed here for two nights and it was excellent. Just a few blocks from Paddington station, and unfailingly cheap and cheerful. The staff were friendly, and there was a separate little travel help area which I thought was a great idea. Internet, free breakfast, TV lounge, and a bar that was packed every night (admittedly, there's not much nightlife in the area to compete).

However, if you are over 25 I would stay away from the bar--definately some amateur drinkers--but it's a great place to stay if you need something inexpensive and easy. Don't forget to ask for your towel--they are free to use but don't aren't in your room upon arrival.

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank pumpkinpasty
Reviewed 24 May 2005

Of all grubby "hotels" this is probably amongst the worst to find in London. Nice Georgian house, the entrance hall isn't too bad but then you walk through a maze of smelly corridors till you find your dire room with bunk beds, old mattresses and dingy carpets that come off the floor. The staff seem to be all students (most of them rather dozy looking and s-l-o-w). One greeted me with "God bless you!" (Uahh...I am agnostic). Worse than the worst youth hostel on the Continent. God bless Europe!

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed 23 May 2005

Firstly, I found the hostel to be pretty good. Admittedly it wasn't flash but hey its a hostel so what do you expect? Bit old but the rooms I had were clean and the sheets were changed everyday. Had everything I needed too, like access to the internet and a tv in my single room which I thought was a bit of a luxury. (Be warned though, not all dorm rooms have lockers like advertised on their website!).

However, there were a few negative points. Firstly, the booking system is terrible!! Staff almost won't book you more accomodation over the counter, you have to do it all online. However, if the site is down and the end of the week is rapidly approaching you want to scream in frustration.

Also, if you have to keep renewing your booking (because you've just moved to the UK and still looking for a flat) you'll find you get moved from room to room as each booking runs out. This is probably just a factor of it being a hostel but staff were totally inflexible about letting you move straight into your new room, even if you didn't care it wasn't cleaned. Instead I had to lug all my stuff down four flights to the luggage room then wait till mid afternoon to lug it all back up again. Not the most fun after a Sunday afternoon after a big Saturday out.

Don't get me wrong, the staff there are great. However, they're your typical young traveller who has scored a job to tide them over. Better training and more flexibility in their systems would go a long way.

• Stayed April 2005
4 Thank kiwiboyLondon
Reviewed 28 February 2005

I came to london in Febraury quite worried that I was never going to find somewhere nice to stay on a tight budget. How wrong I was!!! A friend had told me about the Wake Up Hostel and I decided to give it a go. I had a fantastic time there. Not only are the staff extremely freindly but the location is great to. I have stayed in hostels all around the world and the facilities here are amongst the best I have seen. The best part of the hostel has to be the bar called Hiccup, WOW! There was a huge party every night and I ended up spending most of my nights in the bar getting down and dirty with loads of cool people from all over the planet. I would not hesitate to recommend this place to everyone I know and I am already planning to go back next year with a big group of girlfriends.
Jana, Brazil