“Awful Beds”

Novotel London Greenwich
Ranked #269 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel when I took my wife ' home ' for the weekend. The hotel itself is spotless and has a reasonably priced car park and is ideally located within Greenwich for the attractions and bars. My only complaint was the beds. They were so hard and unforgiving that following our first nights stay, I had to go to the nearby pharmacy to buy some pain killers for myself and my wife as our backs hurt so much from the beds we could barely walk. I promise this is no exageration.But then if you like rock hard beds you will be fine. Luckily the pain killers stopped it ruining our weekend. I will say however Novotel themselves clearly were not interested in this and they never replied to my feedback to them. If you can put up with the beds the staff and hotel location are good.

Room Tip: Take some painkillers because you will have backache fro the hard beds.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil M
Cyril V, General Manager at Novotel London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments following your recent stay at Novotel London Greenwich.
I am sorry to hear that you did not like our bed mattress and that it affected the quality of your sleep and caused such a pain. Novotel Hotels uses one of the best brands available, however we do understand that all our guests have a personal preference when it comes to mattresses, I am only sorry to hear that we haven't acknowleged your complain during your stay with us. Rest ensured I will remind to my team to deal appropriately with feedback as soon as they receive it and again please accept my sincere apologies.
I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Novotel London Greenwich in the future.
Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Novotel London Greenwich

Reviewed 29 March 2013

So this was an anniversary weekend that my partner organsied.
On arrival....The hotel was very modern and clean. We parked downstairs in the car park which cost 15 pound for one day over night. This may seem a lot but parking around greenwich can be pricey.
We checked into our rooms and has requested late check out for the next day whilst booking, but when this was mentioned at check in, the gentleman made us aware of the £40 charge for this service. As we was not told this on the phone we was given it for free.

Our room was very spacious and modern and clean. I have no complaints about the room it was perfect. There was a shower and bath in one room and a toilet in another.
Our view overlooked greenwich.

We ordered sandwiches and breakfast whilst we stayed here. It was pricey but the food was delicious. For one full breakfast it was £20 and thats without a room service charge. AS there was two of us we had to pay the room service fee twice as they had to hold two trays (I thought this was unfair).
It took five mins to walk into greenwich which was a high point of this trip.
We ate in North Pole restaurant which was lovely.

If you have any questions, message me:)

Lauren

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LozzaReviews

I was really happy to read your feedback following your recent stay with us. I was so delighted that you and your partner enjoyed such a special occasion with us.
Whilst I was pleased to note that you appreciated our team and their training, I am sorry to learn that you found our menu pricey but happy to read you found it delicious. I have noted your comment about room service charges and will look into this matter.

We hope you will stay again with us when you next visit London and I would recommend you visit the Novotel website to benefit from the best rate guarantee.

Kind regards

Reviewed 29 March 2013

I stayed at the Novotel Greenwich in January for a few days and overall it was a pretty good experience.

The hotel is located almost right next to Greeenwich DLR and railway station. The location is thus quite convenient if your business in London is confined to the South and East of the city (especially if it's in Canary Wharf), less so if you need or want to do things in central London especially in the West End. The location unfortunately also meant that once I got back to the hotel in the afternoons, it was very tempting to simply stay in for the rest of the day, though admittedly the unpleasant weather conditions played a role in that, too. I can't fault the hotel for where it is though, I knew when booking that it is in Greenwich and what that meant in terms of transport - and at least the station is so close that you're on the train in no time.

The hotel is clean and professional. Staff was professional and polite and I can have no complaints about the level of service. My room was up in the 5th or 6th floor and offered a view over the railway tracks and platforms below but also the Thames and the Canary Wharf skyline in the distance. The room was clean and spacious. No complaints whatsoever. The bed was good and I was not disturbed at all by any noise and had a good night's sleep there.Top marks for the clean and modern bathroom as well. Two problems for me and probably what keeps it from getting 5 stars: (1) I had only a very unstable mobile signal in the room. Practically unworkable during the afternoon hours actually, which negatively affected my work. My personal explanation was the location quite outside the city centre in addition to the sound-proofing of the room. (2) The TV image was grainy and I think freeview would arguably be of more benefit to more guests than the barebone British TV lineup plus a token handful of foreign satellite channels currently offered.

All in all, it's a professional, clean hotel with friendly staff which I would rate as "upper middle-class" for hotels - a very fair reflection of what I paid. Some small issues concerning mobile phone reception and TV signal, the former more relevant than the latter.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.
I am glad to read you were impressed with the team and the service provided and that facilities were up to your expectations.
I am however sorry to read that because you were dissatisfied with the mobile signal and TV channels selection you couldn't grant us with a 5*. Something I will relay to hopefully improve your future experience.
I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

Great value hotel. REALLY convenient for the DLR Greenwich railway station. The entrance to the station is about ten yards away from the hotel entrance. Very quiet . Nice food. Good service. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your kind comments and we are glad you had a comfortable stay and it was an excellent location for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

The hotel was warm and welcoming, the room well-appointed and spacious. However, for this class of hotel I would expect the sound-proffing to be better, and I was kept awake by the baby crying next door.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Cyril V, General Manager at Novotel London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.
I am glad to read you were impressed with the hotel ambiance and your room.
I am truly sorry to read however that you were dissatisfied with the soundproofing of our doors. I will look into this very and see what we can do to improve this.
I hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

We had stayed at the Novotel Greenwich in 2012 and loved it, and so stayed again on 15-18 March for our latest trip to London and a convert at The O2.

The hotel is welcoming, the rooms are comfortable and clean, the location is superb and - a constant theme in people's reviews - the staff are friendly and genuinely helpful.

This is London ! You expect things to be a bit pricey, but I felt that the breakfast was a very good standard and variety, and we were offered a "deal" of £10 per night breakfast instea dof £15, if we prepaid for it on arrival, which we did. We also ate in the restaurant and enjoyed our food greatly.

we will be back. Thank you !

Room Tip: We have stayed on both sides of the hotel and don;t feel that there is a noisy side at all !
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the positive comments which I will pass onto the staff.
Hopefully see you back here in the near future.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Hotel staff very helpful and caring, ideally situated next door to Greenwich Station, did not have to walk far with the cases and no noise from the tube or railway station during the night or early morning, ideally situated for all the attractions at Greenwich. Breakfast hot and no more expensive than the surrounding cafes / restaurants... will be staying again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Annunziata468
Cyril V, General Manager at Novotel London Greenwich, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.