“Very High Quality Hostel”

Generator Hostel London
Ranked #38 of 824 Speciality Lodging in London
Zurich, Switzerland
“Very High Quality Hostel”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The first time I've been there 7 years ago. Back then, everything was quite scruffy and nasty.
I heard about it, that they had renovations and that everything is new so I had to check it out.
Now the hostel is astonishingly clean and of very good quality. I stayed in a twin room with a friend.
The beds were very comfy and the room was very clean.
The bathrooms and showers were very clean and of good quality as weel 24/7.
The breakfast was ok as well. Unfortunately a lot of hostel visitors don't care about others or are pigs and leave the breakfast buffet and breakfast area in a huge mess.
Anyway, there is not really something bad to say about this hotel. Everything looks cool, the rooms are tidy and the staff is helpful. A special compliment to the room maid for doing such a great job in the hostel.
I'd defenitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Private Twin Room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChrigiZH
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear ChrigiZH,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your good review and thank you also for checking out the newly refurbished Generator London. I have passed on your great feedback to the Team with particular mention to our housekeeping team for your comments on cleanliness.

Please keep spreading the Generator word and we hope to see you back again soon. (Not 7 years from now.)

Lenny Hughes-GM Generator London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed in a female-only 8 bed dorm on the bottom floor. Was a last minute Easter Weekend booking as I missed my train for personal reasons, I called numerous hostels which either were full or could not hold a room for me without paying over the phone (Sadly my card was not convenient when calling) but Generator advised they would have a room if I came by as soon as possible. I stayed for 1 night and I wish I'd stayed here in the first place. Comfortable facilities, female only shower/toilet areas, nice bedding (though climbing the bunk beds was a little difficult without hitting your head on the ridge in my room) and breakfast/towel for an additional fee. Seemed clean and vibrant so easy to meet other travellers and staff watched the doorway at later points to protect both local residents and guests. Close to train stations Euston/Kings Cross and I'd say walkable distance to many main sites (30 min max to Camden market/Covent Garden/Leicester Square). I will stay here on my next solo visit to London without bothering to look at other places.

Room Tip: Less beds in room = less likely to have a messy room/disturbed sleep but more beds = more likely to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Hey SnobleonTour,

Thank you for the great review, we much appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I'm delighted you will not bother looking at alternative hostels next time you are in London and I hope to be able to welcome you back again very soon.

Please keep spreading the Generator word...

Lenny Hughes-GM Generator London
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Very cool hostel! Awesome staff! I don't ate in the place, but i hear that have a great food! The bathrooms are clean, the rooms have some mess but is acceptable, is a hostel and they don't have control of the people hosted.....

I would go again!

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Hey Pedrofpch,

Thank you for the Nice review, we much appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I have passed this on to the Team here, who are delighted. Cleanliness and friendliness are two of our top priorities and we hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back again sometime soon.
Please keep spreading the Generator word...

Lenny Hughes- GM Generator London
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had a fantastic time at the Generator, as a solo female traveler staying for 8 nights. The hostel itself is beautiful, immaculate and modern, and I always felt safe. The area is close to lots of major attractions and just a few minutes away from King's Cross. The staff were always friendly and helpful, and there was so much to do in the hostel itself. Great food, drink specials, bar, activities ...overall amazing.

My only 2 complaints were: lack of plugs in the rooms, and the breakfast was a huge disappointment. It was listed as having croissants, spreads, bread, cereal, fruit, juice and coffee which was a bit of a stretch. For £4.50 I got white buns, no spreads other than butter, and canned, syrupy fruit. I was very surprised with the lack of breakfast quality, considering everything else they did so well.

However, despite those two things, I would recommend this hostel to anyone. It truly is the best I've stayed in.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank tinyjumper
Hi tinyjumper,

Wow, thank you so much for your great review. We were delighted to read your excellent feedback and also much appreciate your comments about breakfast and plug sockets. Its very pleasing to see that you were with us for 8 nights and you found the Team very friendly and helpful and also that you had the chance to spend lots of time in the hostel.

I really hope to have the chance of welcoming you back again soon.

We are delighted you found us to to be one of your favourite hostels.#Genlove..

thanks again

Lenny Hughes- GM Generator London
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed in a private 6-beds room with 5 friends.. hostel didnt specify that we had to share bathroom but good enough shared bathrooms were kept clean through-out the day. The main problem was that our room was at floor 6, and the shared bathrooms were on floor 5 that wasnt so convenient for us. Overall a clean hostel, modern and so friendly, i'd say desirable for young people, reminded me of a really organized univercity campus. Prices ok comparing to other hotels/hostels so close to central and the tube.

Room Tip: rooms on top floors were more quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Efi_Jones
Hello Efi_Jones,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a good review but sorry for the inconvenience regarding location of the toilets. I have shared your feedback with the Team here and we were delighted that you had a good stay and found us all to be very friendly. We can't wait to welcome you back again soon.

GM- Generator London
England
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a 10 bed dorm (5 bunks) which was surprisingly spacious and comfortable. There was a sink in the room which was handy. Only 4 plug sockets though which was a logistical nightmare at times! There were 2 trunks under each bunk which could be padlocked and can fit a hand luggage suitcase easily into it.

Toilets constantly blocked on 5th floor which was horrible. Other than that, washing facilities were good.

Bar was super cheap - £2.50 per pint! They had nighttime security staff so it was very safe. There was also a free ATM and a good vending machine.

Only 5-10 min walk from King's Cross station so very handy and a convenience store round the corner. Would recommend to travellers!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank gimme_wings
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hello gimme_wings,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us after your recent departure from Generator London.
It’s fantastic to hear that we met your expectations , and of course we’d love to see you back again in the future.
As you may have seen we do have a 24/7 house keeping team who do all they can to keep the wash room facilities to the highest possible standard. Please accept my apologies if you faced any inconvenience during your stay with the bathroom facilities.
Please keep spreading the Generator word #genlove and we hope to be able to welcome you back to London again very soon.
Best Wishes

Lenny Hughes – GM Generator London
Helsinki
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed at Generator only for one night in late March and can't really find anything to complain about the hostel. I stayed in a 4-person shared dorm and although the room was fairly small, it seemed clean and the bed was comfortable. Each bed has a locker for your personal belongings too. The common areas were modern and atmosphere relaxed. I liked the large chill-out lounge and wifi worked perfectly throughout the hostel.

The only minor downside was the shower room: although the showers were clean and hot water instantly available, the room lacked shelves. So, please arrange shelves or even just a table to the "lobby" so that people can lay their personal stuff and clothes on something while showering. Now I had to stack my clothes and toiletries on the floor, which wasn't so nice.

I left the hostel fairly early in the morning and at the entrance, I encountered a man how greeted me in a friendly manner and offered me an arm to escort me out of the door, insisting to carry my luggage down the few steps for me. It took me a couple of seconds to comprehend he was a member of the hostel's security personnel. Nice chap :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Hey Losviages,
Thanks so much for taking some time to tell us about your Generator experience.
I’m pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us and that you managed to put our social spaces to good use while making the most of our Free Wi-Fi.
Your feedback about storage in the shower areas is much appreciated and I will definitely pass this on to our development team for future advancement of the product in London.
Hopefully we will see you again soon at Generator London and please keep spreading the Generator word! #genlove
Best Wishes