“Great Hostel”

Ranked #39 of 838 Speciality Lodging in London
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Hostel”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Great little Hostel which isn't far from the Underground and centre of London. Comfy bed, but rooms a little on the small side and no plugs near the beds.

Overall all though, a great stay and would recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hey Jamie TV,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at Generator London.

I have passed on your comments to our wonderful Team here and I really hope we will be seeing you again soon for your next trip to our Great City.

Please keep spreading the Generator word.

Thanks again

Lenny Hughes – GM Generator London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Loved the stay here, great atmosphere. Everything was more than expected from the clean rooms to the awesome bar!! The staff were not only friendly but told us great advice, helping us out as much as possible! Would recommend as many people to come here for their stay!

P.s the security was A+++

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Amy B
Hey Amy B,

Wow, what a fantastic review!

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your Generator experience. I will pass on your great feedback to the Team and they will be thrilled!

Please keep spreading the word and we really cant wait to see you at Generator London again soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff and security, modern and funky hostel! After 11pm you cant be Noisy or setcurity will give you a littlet hush, but works out well if you are an early riser! Besides, the bar is open until 2am so party goers can party without issue!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Caitlyn B
Hello Caitlyn B,

Thank you so much for touching base after your recent visit to London!

It’s always great to hear about our guests experiences after their stays and particularly rewarding for us to hear that we are meeting expectations.

We would love to see you back soon and please keep spreading the #genlove

Hawalli, Kuwait
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hostel was a very pleasant surprise!! It was apparently redone in the last year and you can tell! The main area is pretty awesome! There's a great bar, lots of places to sit and chill, mini theatre to watch sports or anything, ATM, very clean bathrooms and great staff!

Rooms are as small as they possibly can be which is tough. And there is no air conditioning which is hard in the middle of the summer when you have four people packed in.

Wifi is excellent. Location could be better but it's only like a 5 minute walk to the subway!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MTRich
Genlon, General Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hey there,

Thank you for your review, it’s always great to hear from our guests after they have left us!

I will be passing on your comments both good and bad to the team and we hope to welcome you back to Generator London again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in a 10 person dorm.
Pros -
Close to Russel Square station.
Close to shops and restaurants (there is an amazing Italian restaurant just around the corner! Yum!)
Free WiFi.
Awesome Bar area with entertainment every night pretty much (Group Bar Crawls for £10)
Free Breakfast. It was nice, but nothing great. The coffee was surprisingly good though.
Staff were very polite.
Sound proof doors.

Cons-
Our room was really Hot and we couldn't change the temperature.
Bathrooms weren't very clean while I stayed there.

I would definitely stay again, but not in a dorm. If you are wanting to get a good night sleep, book a smaller room!
All in all, a great Hostel :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelsie H
Hello,

Thank you for your comments after your recent trip.

As the summer months approach it can get quite warm in London.

We do have a selection of Fans available for our guests, I apologise if you were not offered one when you spoke to our reception team. We hope to see you again in the future.

Lancaster, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Location: It's in a good (and safe) neighbourhood, not a far walk from Kings Cross/St. Pancras, and Russell Square Station (and as a result, is very accessible via many lines on the Underground, and directly along the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow Airport). Close to amenities - restaurants, bars, groceries (Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Tesco), post office, pharmacy, small shops and a shopping centre, excellent green space and squares, all within a 1-2 minute walk. Nothing to complain about location-wise!

Cleanliness: The hostel itself is kept clean. Bedrooms are tidy, linen is fresh, and bathrooms are cleaned frequently throughout the day. Never had any problems in the three times I've stayed.

Security: There's always a doorman at the front, and to gain entry you need to show your key-card. A few times late at night when I've gotten back to the hostel, there was an additional member of security at the entrance from the main street (the hostel is set down behind a small alley of sorts) checking for key-cards too.

Things in General: The common room/bar/cafe area on the first floor is absolutely fantastic and has been renovated since my first stay in 2011. Lots of space to sit and hang out. Bar is reasonably priced and well-stocked, and while I didn't eat anything from the hostel while I stayed, the reputation of the food is that it's good. The staff seem nice. I never had any problems to bring up, though. Free wi-fi is accessible throughout the whole building.

The bad stuff: Nothing terrible, just minor inconveniences. Power outlets in bedrooms (at least in the 4-bed rooms I've stayed in on the 5th floor) are sparse - none are bedside. However, there are LOADS in the common areas and I didn't mind going down there to hang out and charge my stuff. The doors are noisy - bring ear-plugs if you're a light sleeper. Toilets on the 5th floor are a bit dated, and one of the showers wasn't giving hot water. (I let a member of staff know.)

Overall: I've never had any problems here, and I'll keep returning for my London trips.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tracy L
Hey there,

Hastings, Michigan
Reviewed 15 July 2014

So I was at Generator's London Hostel mid June 2014. I am a 30 year old female and I traveled alone. It was my first "across the pond" trip. I was a bit nervous the first few days, but a very nice staff member took me under his wing and to a pub with 2 of his friends. It totally broke the ice and I felt very safe with him, and knew he was just a genuine nice guy- no funny business just a very nice man. After that I got my confidence back and was able to mingle. I spent most nights at the hostel's very nice bar making friends and drinking fair priced drinks. I'd make friends, facebook them and find them the next day to hang out with. I felt so safe here and I stayed long enough I consider several employees my friends. Traveling alone was the best thing I've ever done for myself, and choosing The Generator was my second best thing. I can't even imagine how crappy of a time i would have had if I stayed in a hotel all by myself. Again,I felt very safe there and you need to show your room key to security to enter the hostel. I basically partied at the bar at night because it was safer than getting stuck in the city at night and every night there was something new at the bar. I dont feel like I missed out on anything choosing to spend my evenings at the bar there. I met so many awesome people, listened to several live bands, sang karaoke , and played pool with people from all over the world. Most people were younger than me, (early 20's) but it was really cool and no one cared, tho I really dont feel or look 30. I stayed in a 16 people all girls dorm room and everyone was nice and polite. Rooms were spacious enough and we all felt safe enough to leave our phones out charging even when we were not in the room. Your experience will vary on the integrity of other people, you have no control over that, but this was my experience. The bunk beds were very very comfy and clean, no bugs seen anywhere. Try to get a bottom bunk. and there is a Doctor Who floor for all the Whovians out there, wish Id known about that one! Emailed them a few times before trip and got a prompt response also a reminder email that my reservation was coming near.
Things I would do differently and other tips:
Bring a copy of your reservation in your wallet as they want to see before you check in, but they will let you in to check in if you forget it like I did. Bring passport with you
Changing $-£= go to a bank/post office. Do not change at the airport or train station. There are banks and Post offices everywhere save some of your hard earned $ with this rule!
I stayed in a large girls only dorm. I would still stay in an all girls dorm-boys are gross,but I would choose a smaller if not private room. You'll meet lots of people either way, but I was constantly reorganizing my stuff to find it easily and quietly. So to save time, a smaller room where I could have been louder finding my stuff would have been nice. Very cheap to stay with 15 other people so make your own choice on this one.
If you can tip the bartenders. Everyone like a pat on the back, like a pound every couple of drinks felt reasonable- I'm from America, where everyone gets a tip, so it felt weird not to do so esp when they take good care of you.
I brought my own adaptor- actually 2 in case I needed more than 1. I got them very cheap on ebay and I could make sure It worked with my stuff before I left. They sell them at the small travel shop in the hostel, but I ended up giving my extra one to someone whos Eastern European gadgets weren't compatible with the hostels options. Got to do someone a favor-bonus!
Bring your own towel or two! £4 for a towel! Get a couple at goodwill and leave them behind.
Same with toiletries. Save space in your bag and skip the stupid travel sized shampoos. I will never bring my own shampoo/conditioner with me to any other developed country. First it its fun to go into drug stores and try something new and if your only going to one or two cities/countries they are cheap enough to buy there and leave them. I know I would have been happy if someone had left me a full bottle of shampoo like I ended up doing.
Laundry: its like £2.50 for a wash (bit smaller than the American washing machine I'm used to) and £.50 per 30 mins drying time and the hostel didn't have change so I was asking everyone for change and wish I had been prepared. This goes along with the towel advice, if I had brought 2 junk towels with me I could have saved some £ by not having to wash/ dry it. Towels take forever to dry!
I brought my glasses and 2pairs of contacts. Really glad for the spare pair of contacts. As I was saying, getting ready to go to bed while all the lights are out, I squished one in the basket and ripped it.
I brought only my favorite neutral make up: for me these were eyeshadows in beige, gold, and browns that look nice during the day and add bit darker brown for night,bronzer, mascara,eyeliner, and 2 shades of lip gloss (my fav is 8 hr Loreal Infallible gloss in sangria- it lasts forever!)
Bring your own lock, I brought a couple, but mostly used my TSA approved combo lock with a cable wire instead of a school locker type. Under your bunk will be a "trundle" type chest all solid wood- i was worried before my trip that it would be wire that someone could "fish stuff out of thru the cracks, but one would have to work really hard with an axe to get into your stuff.
Comfy shoes, a tan pair of Clark sandals ($60) and a pair of navy "Filas" got me everywhere. I walked about 100 miles in 10 days because I wanted to see everything I could. Ill say more on this in a moment.
I tried to choose a color palette for my clothes, black pants black/white halter tank, navy capris and 2 tops to match to match, jeans, 2 solid colored plain tees (teal and raspberry) and a graphic tee. Also a party dress and a "dressier" paisley belted dress. A jean jacket- this was stolen but I think I left it in the bar on the back of a chair so it was my fault, a trench coat, and a warm hoodie. I went to Camden Market-Go! soooo fun-bought a dress haggled down to £10 from £20-yeah! Stayed long enough I wish I had brought one more outfit, but people come and go so I know it was only me who noticed or cared.
If you can, try to add an internet data plan to your phone package for your trip. I didn't because it was over seas and it would have been super expensive, but if u can get a data package added for an over sea trip. Got so lost so often with out it!
Get an Oyster card! First thing you do! I wasted a lot of money on taxis my first few days. I do regret this. I'm from a really small town and the Tube sounded soo daunting. It is a little overwhelming, but just do it. Also I wasted £ on the tube by just topping off my Oyster card. I would do this over by getting a week long pass. I bet I would have saved £ for sure. Also starting July 2014 all the busses are cash free, but they do take the oyster card. I do prefer the bus to the tube because u can see sights out the window which u cant do on the tube. I will prob not walk 100 miles next time, the tube or bus is the way to go.
I regret not taking a hop on hop off bus tour..you could buy a 2day pass and use it as your own personal taxi. I believe it was about £70 for a two day pass. there are several routes all color coded to see the sights. I think I will do this next time, tip is to take it all around the first time while keeping notes on what you'd like to see then ride it again and get off where u want.
I bought a camcorder esp for the trip and never used it. You are walking around a huge busy city with sometimes uneven side walks and I just shouldn't have brought it. However, if you were traveling with friends or family I can see where it would come in handy.
In conclusion, I will stay in a Generator Hostel again, clean, nice, safe, can't wait to come back. If you have any ? feel free to comment and Ill be happy to comment back on rooms, or some how to's.

Room Tip: I chose a room with 8 bunk beds to make friend. While this did happen, I would choose a smaller, if...