“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in, terrible! PLEASE READ”
Review of European Hotel

European Hotel
Ranked #897 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in, terrible! PLEASE READ”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I will start the review with the one and only good thing about this hotel, the location. Around a 2 minute walk away from kings cross station it was great for just jumping on the underground. When I arrived at the European hotel the hosts at the reception were less than friendly. Speaking English (not well) she pointed me in the direction of my room which I may add was 5 houses away and giving me the keys. When I finally found my room with help from the cleaner, I felt as though I had walked into my niece's doll house and felt like walking straight back out. The room was tiny there was a double bed and around a metre to walk at one side of the bed and at the bottom. There was nowhere for me and my partner to put our bags so we kept them at the bottom of the bed which then meant we had a metre of room to walk between the bed and the door. There was a tiny dresser with a t.v on which we had to tune ourselves as it was not up to date with the latest freeview channels. There was also a tiny wardrobe which could barely fit a pair of shoes width. The en suit was so small me and my partner had to take turns brushing our teeth and the roof was literally falling on our heads as the fan had obviously not been in frequent use and there was no windows so the room was very damp. The shower was scummy with rust and god knows what covering the head and the walls. The bathroom was so small that there was no room between you and the wall at the side of the toilet for a toilet roll holder so it was placed high above, behind the toilet which as you can imagine was unbelievably inconvenient. When I flushed the toilet it sounded asthough a very small but very real jumbo jet was landing in our room and at one point I thought it had broke and we would have to evacuate. Our view from outside of our £150 for 2 nights room was a brick wall literally a rulers width away which meant I felt very claustrophobic. Imagine a tiny room, nowhere to walk and the view of a brick wall, we spent no time in our room apart from sleeping. Speaking of sleeping, the minimal sleep we had wasn't great. The bed made crunching and squeaking sounds with every breath, there was discolouring on the wall at the side of the bed due to damp and I spent half of my city break listening to cath next door talk about her troubles at work thanks to paper thin walls. On our final day I gave the hotel the chance to redeem its self with breakfast before out long journey back to Manchester, I probably should have just starved and gone straight home. When I went down to breakfast I was met with a tiny 'canteen' which felt like a youth hostel. The breakfast was very limited with sausages, egg, beans and tomatoes. As my partner and I queued for the breakfast, there was an elderly foreign man helping himself very slowly. It seemed as though he had Parkinson's or another form of disability and we were happy to wait for him to collect his breakfast, the cook obviously didn't feel the same. She shoved past him trying to put some toast down very vigorously, she probably tried around 4 times until saying something in a foreign language (Latvian/Russian) and aborting the mission, she stumbled back into the kitchen. Another woman (with presumably longer arms) then came out and put the toast down once again shoving past the frail man. Me and my partner were astonished, very very rude! We then got a drink of what I could only describe as warm filth disguised as orange juice and TRIED to sit down. The tables were so close I had to slide into a small seat in the corner where I could barley breathe and still feel as though suffering from broken ribs. When tucking into my food my partner and I had a 2 spoons and a knife, very inconvenient for our sausage and toast (that is all that looked barley eatable) as there was no other cutlery left and none brought out in the 10 minutes we were there. As we were leaving a French man asked the woman at the front desk to ring a taxi, she replied with 'ok, £52' he replied with 'No it says £33 on this sign' which was located at the reception reading 'taxi to heathrow £33' she snapped with 'No hes saying £52, do you want it or not?'. The man looked flustered and agreed and as a foreign visitor looked confused as to why the sign read £33 and he was paying £52, but he got no explanation and he reluctantly paid the fee. I feel lucky to have gotten out of the place alive. I am 17 years old and my partner is 18, to say I usually live in a filthy typical teenagers room, I wouldn't even let my dog visit the European hotel kings cross as he could very easily be shouted at, kept in squalor and maybe catch something. This is a very very true review I payed £150 for 2 nights and I am more than disappointed I feel cheated and upset I took my boyfriend for a nice weekend away and ended up taking him to this place. He probably would have rather stayed at home/on the street. STAY AWAY FROM THIS RUDE,DIRTY AND TERRIBLE HOTEL...save yourselves.

Room Tip: Don't pick one
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jodie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
england
Reviewed 9 September 2013

stayed here for 2 nights before going on eurostar to brussels the hotel was very close to kings cross/st pancras stations only 2/3 mins walk . The room was very small only about 6ft x 8 ft with a small double bed tiny wardrobe and small dressing table with mirror , The en suite was very small as well and we had to devise a system of manoveres to move around to be able to get ready at the same time , however the room was very clean and nice white sheets and towels changed daily. the room had a small tv with freeview also tea/coffee making facilities .Staff where helpful and friendly. The breakfast wasnt great only cornflakes no other cereal cooked breakfast was basic bacon sausage eggs beans toast coffee and tea was luke warm and dining area was quite dismal being lots of small rooms with archways bare tables and was in cellar. For £40 perperson per night in london and near to kings cross i think its good value but i would try to pay a bit more for a bit better if i stay in london again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blackcatpat
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed here for one night with a friend as we wanted to see London and go shopping, and for the £40 quid we paid each... I think it was pretty good. We were given a nice view of Argyle Square, breakfast included, a TV and was a short walk from the train station. However, the room itself was quite small and the breakfast wasn't quite as nice as other places, but again, it was a very cheap deal and was good enough for us. I would mention though, that it is perhaps not the best place to stay if you are coming on Megabus or are wanting to see the main attractions of London as you would need to take the tube in order to get there and back... but then again.. it is London! So, overall, the hotel was pretty satisfactory, but I wouldn't recommend a long stay, due to the small bedroom and bathroom (which unfortunately emanated a rather stale smell and was quite unclean) but, if only staying the one night and for the price paid... was good!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sophie C
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The room is very small. It got really hot (we stayed there in the summer), so we had to open the window because there is no air conditioning, but it was really noisy. The curtains were really thin, so it was also very bright (our room was in front of a street lamp). The bed was small and uncomfortable. The only advantage was the location of the hotel, very close to tube and train station.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aline B

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed here for five nights...PROS: excellent price for an hotel in the centre of London / literally seconds from the tube & minutes from 3 major rail stations / VERY CLEAN / all the staff were friendly & helpful / comfy bed / clean towels everyday / good breakfast eggs-fried or scrambled, toast,beans,back bacon, quality sausage, tomatoes, toast, cornflakes 4 types of jam & marmalade...go back as many times as you like / tea & coffee & telly in rooms/ shower/toilet/shaving mirror & light/soap in rooms/ no lock out/ lots of leaflets for things to do....CONS: Rooms small/ instant coffee for breakfast / terrible juice (squash?)/ Noisey occaisionally but if youve had a good day out youll be out for the count!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank deniscroissant
Salon-de-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The only interest of this hotel is the proximity of Saint Pancras Station!

The room is very small for a couple and a child, the bathroom is very small too. The bedspreads and the curtains are dirty, all in the room seems outdated.
The breakfast is served in a sort of canteen , the staff never speaks to us, nothing seems to be cleaned ( we see that very well when they clean or wipe something), the fruit juice ( if we can say so...), coffee are awfull and the "english" breakfast not so good.

It's not a place to recommend to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Anne Marie B
Laindon
Reviewed 14 August 2013

From reading the reviews on Trip Advisor after I had booked this hotel I was very worried. Although not amazing, this hotel as not as bad as the reviews make out. It is budget so its just the very basic amenities with small rooms, but if its just a stop over then why do you need more. Even breakfast is included as well which is more than some more expensive hotels. Breakfast had tea, coffee, eggs, beans, toast, sausage, bacon and tomatoes. I think there was cornflakes too. As a vegetarian I was limited but I still enjoyed it. The furniture and fittings are dated but I wouldn't expect anything more for what I have paid. I found my bed comfortable, though the night was quite noisy. For cleanliness, my room was clean but could have used some descaler in the toilet.

Room Tip: Wondering whether the back of the building might be more quiet as it was noisy at the front
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo