“Location was amazing but I would not go there again”
Review of European Hotel

European Hotel
Ranked #897 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel is located very Close to Kings Cross station so that helped as we had to take an Early morning ( 5:40 AM ) Eurostar to Paris. However everything else just did not seem right. Maybe like somebody has suggested in their review that this is what a Budget hotel is in London as opposed to a budget hotel in USA. However a few things I have to complain about - no elevator, very narrow stairways, room felt like a dungeon, bathroom was extra-small, and after use it smelled because exhaust was either not there or was not sufficient. All in all, I will not go there again. I think I have learnt my lesson and that is Budget hotels in London are a no-no, spend a little more and have more peace of mind. Hotel did not have safety locker so I had to sight seeing in London with my passports :-(

Room Tip: Try to get rooms on the first floor or maybe second floor . All other floors are good but there is n...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Mapusa_Andy_G

Reviewed 30 July 2014

£160 for two nights was good for the location but terrible for the actual hotel. There was an issue with the booking when we arrived as I was told the first night was already paid and that we would only have to pay on arrival. This was not the case and the full price had to be paid on arrival and there was barely an apology from staff. We were early so our room wasn't cleaned as expected so we just dropped off our bags. When we arrived back later the room was cleaned but overall it was very grubby. Cigarette and strange stains on the furniture, the toilet did not flush properly, the room was very very hot even with the window open and just overall it wasn't very pleasant. There was free breakfast but we didn't avail of it. If you're looking for somewhere in great location to the tube and kings cross this is ideal, but it's not very nice to be honest.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Shazbojangles
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Look, to all of the Americans that aren't familiar with the DISTINCT difference between European budget hotels and American budget hotels, of course you're going to complain about the lack of elevators, small room and small bathrooms. This is completely typical and expected of a budget hotel like this. I don't thin you can expect white marble bathrooms that are immaculately clean for this price. Sure, it could be a bit cleaner even though it was relatively clean and definitely acceptable...but you could also spend another $300 per night and get a hotel that is what you want. DO NOT RESERVE AT A BUDGET HOTEL AND THEN BE MAD IT ISN'T A MARRIOTT.

To anyone looking to book this hotel, I will say it is exactly what it advertises to be - a budget hotel in London. The rooms are small and the bathrooms and showers are small, but compare that with any other hotel this price in the area and you don't even get a private bathroom. Everything was acceptable, and they even accommodated my request for a quiet room on the ground floor. And don't worry about the noise at night. It isn't really noticeable. Just remember, you're in London and you didn't pay for a soundproofed suite at the Ritz.

The breakfast was everything you can expect... decent food and it's all-you-can-eat. They have orange juice (more like powder-made Sunny D) and water and tea and coffee. Eggs over easy, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, and beans. I found it very pleasing for a free breakfast at a budget hotel. Bottom line: book it if you want a budget hotel at a great location in London with a private bathroom and free breakfast. But don't go there and expect the Hilton and then give them bad reviews because of your ignorance. And by the way, they had two towels and two hand towels waiting on the bed when we arrived, so that shows that they do give more than one small hand towel...as if that's a huge issue in the first place.

The wi-fi could have been better, but once again --- budget hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lukes44545
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed there with my boyfriend for 3 nights in May and honestly, we were pleased. Location was super, breakfast was good, people at reception were friendly, room was clean. price was good (considering the location, the price was actually VERY good), So the room was a little small, but it wasn't a problem at all, cause we only went there for sleeping and we didn't have a plan to move in :p There was one thing we didn't like though. There was no mat in bathroom and the floor was quite cold. But as I said, we were pleased with the hotel and we'd definitely go there again.

2  Thank Gerli K
Reviewed 13 June 2014

One small towel, to be used as hand towel, shower towel AND mat. Awful awful awful. It is noisy outside and the internet does not work. No ironing facility or even a hair dryer. I am not impressed and would not recommend this. Unfortunately this place was booked for me by an employer (who I will not work for again). It is a box sized room. Probably on par with a hostel.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Kiddoor
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Excellent for Kings Cross/ St Pancras but wouldn't choose to stay here again. OK, it's cheapish price wise, but room cupboard size. One med. size towel each, no hand towel or bath mat. Tiniest of wardrobes. Staff not overly friendly or welcoming. Breakfast OK ish. I guess you get what you pay for but we've had better for the price.

2  Thank LouAnne
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We paid £80 for a room for the two of us for a night and so were realistic about what we would get.

The welcome was excellent and the room acceptable - we were on the ground floor and, as it was a warm day, we were a bit concerned about how hot it would be but the outside was a courtyard so we were able to open the window.

The location is superb for St Pancras - we were booked on the 7am Eurostar so we did not get to try breakfast. I really could not recommend this for more than the purpose for which we used it but it served our purpose perfectly and I would recommend it from that point of view

You need to remember how cheap it is - especially compared to the chains in this area. Yes, it does need some TLC and money spent on it but we would use it again and we are old!

2  Thank Sandra H