“Decent Hotel”

Ranked #278 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Parbold, United Kingdom
“Decent Hotel”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I needed a hotel near to the Roundhouse in Camden and my PA booked this one. Not ideally situated for me but a taxi ride sorted out the logistics.
Hotel was fine and the room was decent with a double bed etc and the usual hanging spaces for jackets and trousers.
It seemed rather cold at first despite the fact that I turned off the air conditioning but it was a cool day. I could here the traffic noise from the street below but it didn't keep me awake as the windows were double glazed.
Skipped breakfast as I was on an early train but it looked typical self service set up. Staff were pleasant and efficient.
Handy for the tube at Finchley Road.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank paisleypark10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This was my fifth annual two-week stay at the Holiday Inn Express Finchley Road. The fact that I return says it all, but I’ve also written several prior reviews on TripAdvisor detailing my reasons for liking this HIE. This time, I want to comment briefly on three aspects of this visit:

1. HIE now provides wi-fi access in all rooms, as well as in all public areas, without imposing any charges in addition to the regular room rate. I congratulate them for this. Wi-fi is now indispensable for me while traveling, and I resent paying anything for wi-fi. I will not stay at any hotel which does not include wi-fi in the basic room rate. The wi-fi signal at this IHE and the speed were the best I’ve had in any hotel anywhere.

2. The hotel continues to be meticulously maintained. Nothing is marred, dirty or left unrepaired. It looks as new as it must have on the day it opened.

3. The staff, mostly young Europeans, is unfailingly competent, friendly and eager to please. They are a pleasure to be around.

I look forward to returning next year.

Room Tip: I've always requested a room in the back facing the car park, rather than one fronting on heavil...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Bangkokexpat
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Check-in was smooth. I'd requested a quiet room and got one on the first floor direct out to car park - I did ask at reception if this was possible to get one higher up. The answer was no.
The room was clean. No safe to store valuables - a big minus when you are in London. I didn’t get much sleep due to doors slamming.
Breakfast and breakfast area was very disappointing. People drifting around looking for somewhere to sit, food set out in a small, hot, dangerously crowded area next to the kitchen. There where so many guest that at one point there were no rolls or croissants. The croissant I did manage to get was not cooked in the middle – I did point this out to a member of staff.
I left my coffee, plate, newspaper and room card holder on the table while I went to see if I could find a cooked croissant (none found). When I got back my table had been cleared and another guest sitting there.
I would not recommend this hotel or stay there again. Expensive at £129 for a few hours’ sleep and inedible breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Hella1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Hella1,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the popularity of breakfast prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had 3 rooms booked for a family wedding. The reception staff were extremely courteous and helpful, the hotel is very clean and modern and is in a good location. My only little niggle was that breakfast time was a bit like a market-place. It was packed and very little space where the food was displayed. I suppose you have to get up either very early or last minute to avoid the rush. However, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank D0E
york
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed here for one night with my husband. We were going to see a concert at Wembly stadium and it was only one stop on the tube ( tube for two , return though cost us £16 as although it was only one stop it was two zones away)
Great friendly greeting from the helpful staff. Handy car park behind the hotel. Rooms and indeed the whole hotel was absolutly immaculate. To my delight it smelled clean!! Rooms were big enough, big comfy bed, functional modern bathroom and a tea/ coffee tray. No extras but you could get anything you needed ( toothbrush, sewing kit etc) FOC from reception. We were At the front and didn't get disturbed during the night. Breakfast was plentiful and fresh. All in all I was very happy with this hotel, I will defiantly come back and would not hesitate in recommending it. Great effort from all of the staff from housekeeping upwards. Well done !!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yummymummyYork
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed here last year the staff was wonderful room good and clean would come back any time and will recommend it to any one coming from the states . Great location get a bus or underground to get right into

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Hasina B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Swiss Cottage, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Micheline B, Thank you for taking the time to post your 5-Star review of our hotel.
We are delighted that our product and staff made your stay enjoyable. We feel proud that your experience of the hotel left you feeling that you can recommend us to other guests travelling to London in the future.
We look especially look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Kindest regards Sales and Reservations Manager HasinaB
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The hotel is very close to Finchley Road ube station, also, National Express bus stops are outside.

Facing the hotel on the junction is a shopping centre including Sainsbury's, and a Weaherspoon.

The hotel it'self was clean, air-conditioned, and welcoming.

Despite being located on a main road, beds were comfortable, and we had no difficulty sleeping.

Breakfast consisted of hot food / drinks, would we stay again, without hesitation.

Room Tip: If your a light sleeper, request a room at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear WizWiz, We appreciate you taking the time to post your 4 Star review of our hotel.
We delighted that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed our products and services, we have put a request on your profile for your next visit to allocate you a room at the back so you can experience a calm and quiet stay with us. We hope this will make your "almost perfect" stay to a "perfect" stay.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Kind regards Hasina.B Sales and Reservations Manager