“comfortable hotel excellent, location”

Grange Clarendon Hotel
Ranked #496 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Halifax, United Kingdom
“comfortable hotel excellent, location”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The Clarendon is a comfortable place, friendly & helpful staff. Excellent location, near to Covent Garden,& British museum. within walking distance of Kings Cross, Euston & St. Pancras rail stations, nearest tube Russell Square. My stay was for business, but would happily return on a leisure trip. I had full english breakfast. but continental fayre was plentiful to. Rooms were clean & well presented. The website photos are accurate.

Room Tip: I was at the front, facing street, my stay was midweek, quite noisy early morning if you want a lie...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed in a lovely room within the hotel, clean & spacious room with everything needed for a long weekend stay, friendly & helpful staff, good location for Euston station & attractions. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is situated very conveniently near the Russell Square tube station in a quiet road. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms clean and well furnished; mine had ample space though one of my colleagues found her basement room mainly filled by her bed. Some time after booking I wanted to change the room from a single to a double so my husband could stay as well, and the hotel offered this on a complimentary basis, which was very pleasing. I found the room hot and slept with the window wide open.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Nice clean, quiet hotel right in the heart of London. Staff were very helpful and welcoming.

Breakfast was nice too. Continental is included in the cost but you can have a cooked English breakfast for a few more pounds. Again it
was nice and fresh and the staff were quick to help if you needed any extra coffee/toast etc.

Safes in room are available so you can leave your valuables without worry.

Would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Smokinbeatz
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My son booked this hotel for us as a present. So we had no idea about the place until our arrival. The staff were very welcoming and gave necessary information for our stay eg times of breakfast, location of bar and location of lift. Our room was lovely, large and scrupulously clean. It was at the back of the hotel and overlooked a lovely garden area separating the street running parallel to the rear. When I looked out of the window before going to bed I could see a man standing under one of the trees. He was still there the following morning standing in exactly the same position! I noticed that there were other 'people' in the park area which was a lovely place. The bathroom was beautifully clean and adequately equipped. The huge bed was very comfortable. The only problem was the hairdryer which was kept in a drawer and was the sort that you had to hold the button down to keep it going - very annoying. The bar was a peculiar little area adjacent to reception which had a few very uncomfortable chairs and not very attentive staff. Breakfast was a pleasant experience with a choice of continental or cooked. We were booked in for continental breakfast which was adequate but the price was £17.50! Perhaps I'm not use to London prices but that does seem extortionate. The location of the hotel was brilliant. Whilst there we were able to walk everywhere and is within easy reach of Covent Garden, Soho. We even walked from Westminster bridge. Checkout was a painless, quick process. I would certainly stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 106 which was a lovely large room and overlooked a lovely garden area to the rear...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 26 January 2014

First time I have stayed in this hotel whilst in London for work based on a recommendation of a colleague. I usually stay at one of the ‘big-brand’ chains, however this was slightly cheaper and I felt I wanted to try something a bit different.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay. Friendly reception on arrival and efficient check-in without it feeling like it was being rushed. There appears to a be a lift to all floors, although it did feel a tad like a rabbit warren given the hotel appears to have been retrofitted to accommodate the existing structure of the building.

The room where I stayed was spacious, with both a sofa, table with two chairs, and a desk. Much larger than you would get in a ‘branded’ hotel, at least without having to pay a premium; although I would imagine the size of rooms varies considerably given the conversion the building has undertaken to become a hotel.

The bathroom was of reasonable proportions rather than just a ‘cupboard’ partitioned off in one corner of the room. Overall cleanliness was good. My only slight gripe was with the shower screen which was a double sliding door unit that sat on the edge of the bath. Great for being able to have a shower without causing a flood, and overall it was clean; however when I took a soak in the tub and my eye line was level with the underside of the shower unit where it sat on the bath edge, it looked grimy. It was not so much that it had not been cleaned, but rather the design made it look like it was impossible to clean properly in that particular area.

Breakfast the next morning was efficient comprising of a cold buffet and hot food cooked to order: both were ‘delish’. The hotel did not look overly busy and check-out was equally efficient.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I got breakfast included in the price, so for the comments where it says they didn't get it incl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Really good value in a great location. The room was very nice. The bathroom was especially nice, clean, with a big tub. There's no breakfast which is a little sad, but my main complaint was how much they charge for internet service! I'm used to hotels that provide free internet service and I believe that that's standard now in even the cheapest of hotels. There's a computer in the lobby that they supposedly charge you to use, but we just used it anyway to check our email now and then. The staff was so, so friendly and helpful! We'd return again.

Room Tip: 306 was a nice room!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple