“Mayfair magic”

44 Curzon Street by Mansley
Ranked #370 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We stayed in the 3bd apartment in 10 Charles street for five nights. The apartment was very well located to major attractions, plenty of places to eat and transport. We had plenty of room as a family of 5 with three kids under 10. The apartment was well presented but it needed to be a little tidier in the kitchen. We would certainly stay there again on a trip to London.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank teamtanner
CWLamley, Manager at 44 Curzon Street by Mansley, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at 44 Curzon Street. Our 3 bedroom apartments are very spacious and ideally located in the heart of Mayfair very close to all the major attractions. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for 44 Curzon Street by Mansley

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed here for our first ever visit to London.
It is perfectly placed in Mayfair. There are 5 floors, 12 apartments and is literally right next to Shephards Market which is full of restaurants and very close to Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Piccadilly etc (all walkimg distance).
It's not too far to walk to Harrods, Regent Street, Bond Street either.
It's a self contained apartment so if you won't have room service but we just went to the tescos (50m away) and bought some bread, cereal juice for breakfast along with some extra tea bags and milk.
If you want to stay in Mayfair and not have to pay Hilton prices, this is a must.
They are classic old English charm apartments in the perfect location.

Room Tip: We stayed on Level 5 which gave a bit of a view in Mayfair.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Boater81
CWLamley, Manager at 44 Curzon Street by Mansley, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Thank you for choosing 44 Curzon Street and for taking the time to share your thoughts with other Trip Advisor visitors. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

My wife and I were fortunate enough to need a base for our 2 week stay in London and chose this place. We arranged for a one bedroom apartment.
Initially, we were placed into apartment 2 on the ground floor in 44 Curzon st. This apartment was spacious, clean and really was pretty much as expected. The furniture and general fit out is getting on a bit in age and overall it feels just a little bit 'tired'. Being on the ground floor, we were just a little bit concerned about security and privacy as this apartment's window's opened onto the street level.
As a result, we asked if anything else was available. Luckily for us, the wonderful host (Terri) was able (and prepared) to relocate us to an apartment on the thrid floor, number 8.
This apartment was slightly larger in the living area and had a much 'newer' fit out with the furniture and fittings in overall better condition.
The noise from the underground was also noticibly less on the third floor when compared to the ground floor apartment.
The whole building is extremely well located and the host (Terri) was very friendly and happy to assist us with any enquiry we had.
SImply put, this place was exactly what we needed & I wouldn't hesitate to return if I were headed back to London.
In terms of fit out, this apartment building is not the Ritz, so don't expect the newest and most modern fit out & you should be fine. It is however, in a brilliant location with everything at your doorstep & this is really why you'd come here time and time again.
Thanks for a great 2 week stay!

Room Tip: Higher floors in the building of 44 Curzon st.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dan1255
CWLamley, Manager at 44 Curzon Street by Mansley, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Thank you for choosing 44 Curzon Street and for taking the time to share your thoughts with other Trip Advisor visitors. We look forward to welcoming you some time in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

My mum and I stayed here over the London Olympics. All in, I was there 17 nights, my mum, still there, 21. I am a travel agent and booked this through wholesaler Infinity holidays. I booked this accommodation mainly based on location and the fact the hotel had its rates out for July 2012 in Sept 2011. Having worked in this area of London for many years, I cannot tell you how amazing this location is. 4 mins walk from Green Park Tube which accesses 3 lines. Selection of pubs and restaurants downstairs in Shepherds Market ( try Sobra, the turkish restaurant, great stuff). Walking distance from Hyde Park, Piccadilly, Oxford Street and Regent Street. There are 3 mini supermarkets around, the Tesco express to the right, just past Caffe Nero, there is a Marks and Spencers " simply food" at Green Park Tube and a Sainsburys on Berkeley Street. As mentioned in one of the reviews below, these apartments used to be Pied A Terres. Scroll down and read that review by Steve D which is quite extensive and useful. From looking at the property website, I knew that the decor was definitely olde English. It's quirky and as long as you are aware of it, you won't be expecting fine lines and modern colours with a leather suite etc. As we stayed more than 5 nights, the property provided a private arrival transfer from the airport. Lovely to be picked up and taken in a Merc to your digs for the next few weeks. We were met by the lovely Ruth at reception who had everything ready for us. We had paid for the night before to guarantee check in upon arrival. I can happily say that all my communications with the property prior to my arrival and then all our dealings with them during our stay have been fantastic. Any minor issues have been dealt with immediately ( our central heating somehow came on- and the problem was rectified as soon as we mentioned it- the staff were mortified as it was 28 degrees outside!) and any questions we had were answered. Please be aware the the reception only operates during office hours on weekdays and for a few hours in a Saturday. They do have an emergency mobile and when my Mum blew the power she called them and they were there within minutes. If you want 24 hour reception stick to a hotel. We stayed in Apartment 9 , which is a 1 bedroom at #44, on the 4th floor. The lift is small ( big enough for 2 people really, remember this is a VERY old property, so the lift is old too) but hey, it means you don't have to walk up and down the stairs. The apartment was just what we wanted, they are on European standards - spacious. The furniture is by no means modern, this adds to the charm. The bedroom had a tv as well as the sitting room. In the bedroom There was a large wardrobe and a chest of drawers. We had the beds as twin. The bed was a King Split, so you could have a big bed if you were a couple. The bathroom has a double vanity, and is a shower over the bath. The hairdryer however is one of those ones attached to the wall with not much guts, so if you want a good hair dryer, take your own :). The sitting room, which is quite spacious, has a 3 piece suite with coffee table and a dining table and chairs as well as a tv. There is an in room safe in the sitting room. The kitchenette is as you come in the front door. There is a small fridge with a freezer to make ice. The kitchenette is fully equipped with cutlery and crockery as well. There is a microwave/oven/grill combo and a 2 hot plate hob as well as a toaster and a kettle. Big enough to self cater if you wish. The maids come 6 days a week. They make the beds,change your towels, empty the rubbish and wash your dishes. They are lovely. If you are happy for them to clean while you are having a day off from events and just watching tv, then just let them know, so they know it is ok to come in. In the one bedroom we had, there is no washing machine. I know some apartments do have them but I think they are the apartments with 2 or more bedrooms and not every apartment of this category. Always ask your agent or the property and never assume. The property does have a send out laundry service which does run on hotel rates. The property has free wifi and I am pleased to say it is probably the best wifi I have ever used. It never dropped out and was VERY fast. There is also an iron and ironing board in the apartment. There was NO air conditioning (I knew this when I booked) only fans. Be aware of this. The apartment door is electric card key, but the main door to the property is a good old fashioned key. There is a trick to the opening the door, pull it towards you as you turn the key clockwise. The little gold handle inside has to turn so you can get in. Nothing major, just a handy hint. There are 4 small stairs up to the main door, so you'll need to get your bags up those to get in. Hopefully this review enables you to feel confident in staying here. It really is a fantastic property in the most amazing location. It's certainly a great alternative to a hotel which in this area is the same price if not more per night. Some of the comments below I feel are not just, but appreciate that everyone has a different experience/perception. If you check the property's website, and read the review below By Steve D, (My review reiterates many of his comments and impressions) I feel you will get a great idea for how fab this property is and want to stay here. I will now be offerring this to my clients as a preferred alternative to a hotel. Thank you to the staff of this property for making my trip back London for the Olympics an amazing time.

Room Tip: We had apartment 9. This is a 1 bedroom. It's on the 4 th floor. The pictures of Unit 8 bathroom...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank wildflowerb
CWLamley, Manager at 44 Curzon Street by Mansley, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for your very detailed and fair review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us at 44 Curzon Street. I am pleased to inform you that we have taken your points onboard. We have purchased new hairdryers for each apartment for guests to use in addition to the fitted hairdyers in the bathrooms. With regards to the front door key to the main building, we are awaiting the completion of the key card system, which should be finalised next week. This will allow guests to access the building using their apartment key card rather than a seperate key. We would like to thank you again and look forward to hearnig from you soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed in one of these apartments at the end of June for 5 nights,our travel agent said it was an excellent location and this is true. It was.However the service and quality of the apartments was very poor. There is no parking in front of the apartments and we had to lug our suitcases up 4 steps ourselves to the tiny lobby as there was no porter. Similarly no porter to get your luggage to the room. The room we had was on the 5th floor. There was an antiquated, steel cage lift but it was tiny ,it held one person with luggage.Anyone with claustrophobic issues would do best to avoid it. The stairs shook everytime anyone did use the lift.
We would have put up with this except that our apartment was really shabby and cramped, The "kitchen" was in the tiny space between the living room & the bedroom, directly as you opened the entrance door. The bedroom had a queen bed quite comfortable but you had to sidle round it to get into it. Going by the state of the rest of the apartment I seriously wondered if the sheets had even been changed. The apartment was crammed with old cast- off furniture.
The bathroom was a disgrace.The tooth mugs still had the spit in them from previous guests!The bath & basin were filthy. The taps and fittings were encrusted with crud.The living room was extremely shabby and again the sofas and cushions were stained and dirty. Student flatters would turn their noses up at them.
Some sort of paranoia was operating as the hideous china swan ornaments were glued down!
Luxury apartments my eye! There was not even any electronic card means of access just a key which didn't always work in the front door as the lock was loose.
The owners are just milking a cash cow for all it is worth, safe in the knowledge there will always be more suckers turning up. They should be ashamed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Pat905
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Have stayed in these apartments twice. The location is the best thing. Mayfair is wonderful, everything you want to see and might need at hand. Walking distance to great places. First time we stayed at a one bedroom in 44 Curzon St. Really loved it. Second time we stayed in 10 Curzon St. I didnt know they had more than 1 building and this is what you should ascertain when booking. No elevator and long climb on narrow stairs not great. This time with 2 adult children it was a bit cramped as overall size of apartment smaller than single room at 44. I think our room is pictured as the chest of drawers on window side of room inaccessible due to lack of space and close proximity of bedside table. Wish we'd had the washing machine. Our key cards stopped working too. Overall, good place to stay, clean, well serviced, nice that windows open for fresh air. Kitchen adequate. Single beds in kids room tiny.

Room Tip: I'd stay again in 44 but would check as to exactly which room I was getting.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank BetterFlyingNow
TheMansions, Manager at 44 Curzon Street by Mansley, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for your review and your positive comments. Our two bedroom/one bathroom apartments are located across the road from reception at 44 Curzon Street. Unfortunately there is no lift in the building and apartments are on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th floor. Like all key cards they may fail on the odd occasion due to being held close to smart phones for example. Our staff at reception will be happy to re-programme the cards if this happens. We are looking at re-designing the layout of this kitchen in this apartment so that we can incorporate a washing machine. Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Hi

My husband and I booked a studio apartment for a part of our holiday in September this year. It was done through our travel agent who pretty much rushed me through the process as it was in conjunction with booking other accommodation for the holiday. I have read a few of the review regarding no lifts and several flights of stairs involved in getting to some of the apartments. Can anyone who stayed at a Studio Apartment at Curzon Street tell me if the Studio apartments are located on top floors where lots of stairs are involved..........................

roxyandy
Australia

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Roxyandrew
TheMansions, Manager at 44 Curzon Street by Mansley, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

The studio apartment at 44 Curzon Street is located on the ground floor and the one bedroom apartments are located on floors 1 to 5 all with lift access. Our other apartments are located in two separate buildings close by; the two bedroom/one bathroom apartments have stair access only and are located on the 2nd 3rd and 4th floors and the two bedroom/two bathroom apartment and three bedroom apartments are situated in the third building all with lift access. I hope this helps.