“Good Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #32 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Brilliant place for tea, tradidtional with a twist of trendy. Go for the full tea with a glass of champagne (very good price). Great selection of speciality teas.

When you book (and be sure to book) see if they can put you in one of the sitting rooms.

Attentive and discrete service, topping up the tea and taking it away when it becomes cold, scone and sandwich top up but, not usually needed as they bring enough food - seriously good quality all round.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ian P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Hebrew first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My stay at the Charlotte Street Hotel was simply lovely and much too short! Beautifully and thoughtfully decorated, the rooms and the social areas are incredibly comfortable as well as sophisticated. The afternoon teas were incredibly tasty as well as a feast for the eyes. The best thing about the hotel, however, was the subtle thoughtfulness of the staff. I was graduating nearby and the staff endeavored to make sure that the stay itself was as much a part of the celebrations and memories as the ceremony itself! Fantastic location for discovering London or simply sitting out the front enjoying a cocktail or tea and soaking up the buzzing Bloomsbury atmosphere. Absolutely wonderful service with a smile and a laugh, making you feel completely relaxed and pampered.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank RachealL380
essex
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I went as a party of four for afternoon tea on Sunday to say bon voyage to my niece. Everything was spot on - from the welcome, to the food and the service throughout. We opted for their Bloomsbury afternoon tea which included some creative and delicious savoury bites along with fruit tarts, macaroons, jelly, lemon tart and of course the traditional scones, cream and jam. All was superb. We were offered more sandwiches and then given a doggie bag to take away the cakes we just couldn't get through. Not only was this a very reasonable £25 per head, a special offer meant we were also given a bottle of champagne. This is a fantastic deal. We've had tea at the Ritz and other London hotels but this was probably the best we've tasted and at half the price. I'm sure we'll be back! We love the Firmdale group of hotels, they seem to get everything just right.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Excellent from start to finish.
I arrived and was shown to a very small room and when I mentioned my disappointed the Hotel responded immediately though I well understood that was the room class I had booked. They moved me to a better appointed room and were very attentive in an understated way.
Yes this is a busy and buzzy area but inside the hotel there is a lovely blend of art/design and business/luxury comfort.
The bathroom was excellent supported by well thought out and presented amenities.
A standout was the breakfast inclusion - hot and well made with real tea in a tea pot!
You can walk out to interesting restaurants and very well known ones eg Roka and Pied a Terre (recommend the latter if you want Michelin star eating) - or stay in and enjoy the original Bloomsbury set paintings, the spacious public rooms, and the flowers!
It's a feast for the senses.

Room Tip: Avoid the ones looking into the void! Request a room overlooking Charlotte Street. There's doub...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MA J
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My sister and I have just returned from a wonderful 5 days at this hotel. I can't even begin to express how excellent this hotel is - the service, the rooms, the restaurant, the staff - the list goes on and on. I have stayed at this hotel on 3 other occasions and each experience gets better and better. We were upgraded to a junior suite and everything about it was fantastic. I am an interior designer so I was very impressed with the furnishings and decoration of the room as well as the hotel in general. Each staff member always had a smile on their face. One in particular, Csaba, at the front desk remembered me from my last visit and was always happy to lend a helping hand or to make a suggestion on how to improve my visit.
I have stayed in a number of other hotels in London but this is by far the best. Don't even think of going anywhere else - in my opinion, this is THE hotel in London.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 202 on our last visit and Room 200 most recently - both rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Went for some cocktails with couple of friends two weeks ago, the bar was quite busy as it was Saturday afternoon. We were enjoying the lovely weather outside on the terrace. The service we have received was just perfect, could not ask for more. The cocktails and tapas were delicious, but the service itself made our time enjoyable. The two ladies that were serving us were very friendly and chatty, and nothing seemed to be a probelm for them (Silvia?, Monica? I think). Thank you! We will definitely be back with more of our friends...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank sam d
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 1 night on a Saturday in early August in a superior double. My expectations were high, and I was not let down. The minute we walked into the hotel we felt relaxed, and well looked after. The staff were excellent. We didn't eat at the hotel, but we did spend quite a few hours in the bar, drinking some great cocktails, and when the bar emptied, we were taken to the drawing room where we continued our evening on comfortable sofas in beautiful surroundings. The bedroom was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. I wish we had stayed longer, and I can't wait to go back. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple