“Room color scheme, decor was not pleasant.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charlotte Street Hotel

Charlotte Street Hotel
Ranked #32 of 1,086 Hotels in London
“Room color scheme, decor was not pleasant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

My travel agent recommended this property and had several clients with positive reports. You will need to know the following upon booking if your personal tastes are similar.

The room I was given had loud pink and green wallpaper, a lady mannequin in the corner whose purpose baffled me, and a large "mod" chair that took up too much space. This was not a room for repose, but may appeal to some.

The room was on the fourth floor with dormer windows. That was fine except that the block out drapes did not close sufficiently in the dormers and I had sun directly in my eyes on four mornings. Very unpleasant.

For my comfort, the bedding was too soft; the pillows were flat and very soft not enough to support my neck. I ended up putting a pillow case around one of the decorative pillows for support. I think this caused my backache. Linens were excellent.

Otherwise, the bath is nicely outfitted and the towels are large, new and fluffy, and there are towel warmers unnecessary for July, but they were hot 24/7 nonetheless.

Hotel services were fine and extremely accommodating. Two snafus; one with flight check-in, reception entered the wrong passport expiration so I was locked out from getting my boarding pass; second was with airport transfer. I prepaid airport transfer with 10% hotel surcharge, and then the driver had the taxi meter running on the way to the airport.This was a lack of proper communication somewhere along the channels.

Restaurant services are perfect; breakfast in the dining room was perfect every morning, efficient service, generous selection, delicious.

The hotel's location is terrific. There are numerous popular pubs and restaurants of every food type within the block. It is a trendy, fun block and it is a great spot if you can manage a sidewalk table for people watching.

The Goodge Street underground is nearby for the Northern Line so quick and easy access for getting around London is a true benefit.

While I would choose another hotel on my next visit because of personal taste, I recommend the hotel to anyone looking for something outside the standard.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank AJ T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Charming hotel in good location, we spent 2 nights and our room was on 2nd floor at the back of the hotel as we had requested a quiet room. A well presented room and comfortable bed (I am very hard to please) in a contemporary British interior decor. The staff were very polite and helpful, and the bar and restaurant serve good food. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geranium1HongKong
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Have been to Charlotte Street Hotel a few times for drinks and food but had the best time on Saturday evening sitting at a lovely table outside with the family.
We had wonderful service from everyone but particularly Victor and Christopher - very friendly and Christopher definitely goes that extra mile with keeping the meet and greet side professional and welcoming. Was my daughter's birthday and they even brought out a birthday
cupcake and candle- so thoughtful.
Thank you Charlotte Street staff- see you again
X

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LA1_10
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We spent 5 nights here - we had a room on the first floor decorated in "modern" British style. The bed was enormous and very comfortable - however, the bed is made up with a duvet or doona which is too hot for me in summer. We made a request for sheets and blankets and were left with the doona cover and bedspread. It is difficult to understand why a hotel in this class cannot provide proper sheets and blankets in summer.
The wardrobe was a little small for two people for 5 days but we managed. The bathrooms are lovely - separate bath and shower and lovely toiletries. Air conditioning was a little bit of a problem - the system seemed to stay on one setting so we turned it off at night and opened the windows.
One night (Sunday) we did the movie night package - excellent value as it included lunch and breakfast as well as the movie. We enjoyed the movie as it was one we had missed and wanted to see.
The breakfast was great - excellent coffee and really good range of foods. However, we were a little disappointed with lunch - the food is good but not great. We also ate dinner in the restaurant one night - it was so busy we went to the lounge and ate there. Again, the food was good but not great.
The hotel has a small gym downstairs - fine if only one or two are there. One morning there were 5 people - it is not big enough for that number.
The location is great - interesting area, lots of coffee shops, places to eat and a couple of blocks from Goodge Street underground station. You can walk to Soho or Convent Garden, Oxford and Regent Streets.
The staff are genuinely friendly and charming. All in all we would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

London was not my favourite place to travel until I stayed at Charlotte Street Hotel in June 2014. Now, I can't wait to go back, and will only stay there. Walking distance to many theaters, an endless choice of restaurants without leaving the block, pubs with advertising execs and other after work friends and colleagues spilling out into the street. This neighborhood has energy! The hotel is stunning! Beautiful curbside appeal. And our room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. There is a very large restaurant bar on the main level as you enter the hotel. They also offer smaller, private rooms to have a tea, some nibbles and an Honor Bar. Price at $760 Cdn per night in June, it was an ouch as a Canadian but it was very comparable to its competition. London hotels are pricey so if you have to pay $$$$ anyway, choose the Charlotte Street Hotel. You will be very pleased.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

The Charlotte Street Hotel is a perfect place to stay in London. The luxury of the rooms is matched by the attentiveness of the staff. The room overlooking Charlotte Street was quiet, thanks to the double windows, creatively decorated, and supremely comfortable. The marble bathroom was spacious, and it was wonderful to have a separate bathtub and shower. The Fitzrovia/Bloomsbury location is perfect for exploring London, within walking distance of Regent's Park, Covent Garden, Soho, the British Museum, and much more.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I booked a night here for my birthday to spend it with my daughter. Right from the start it was quiet luxury, and the service to go with it, but without being false. The room (103) was gorgeous and looked over the street...wonderful atmosphere. Proper double glazed sash window cut out the noise. Great bathroom with a proper shower and big fluffy towels. Amazing paintings and fabrics everywhere. Prompt room service and attentive concierge.
Breakfast was well amazing..we had the continental. Not your little bit of cheese or ham and a dry croissant but a fabulous array of fruit, cereals, milk (skimmed, semi, almond and soya0, honey on the comb, very good value for 18 pounds. Unlimited tea or coffee.
We really liked the quiet lounge next to the library..there is an honesty bar..wonderful. We had two very large glasses of champagne before venturing out to a show. (Bakersfield Mist - don't bother!)
I have one gripe, the evening before we selected the tapas - it was awful, we were even served by a lovely waiter from Cordoba, he must have been embarrassed. Chopped up chirizo with a lump of bread is not tapas, very slimy haddock balls blobbed on something white is not tapas, and little squid covered in bread crumbs and grease is not tapas. Take advice from your Spanish expert! But I plan to return next year for my birthday but for two nights.
Oh and it seems that the hotel has taken note of the gripes about charging for the Wifi - it's now free! (albeit I had trouble logging on, but my daughter didn't)

Room Tip: I don't have one...