“My favourite hotel in London, possibly anywhere!”

Charlotte Street Hotel
Ranked #33 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Egg
“My favourite hotel in London, possibly anywhere!”
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We have stayed in this hotel on 3 occasions. On the 2nd visit there were building works in the lobby, which we were upset about as the stay was to celebrate a special occasion. We explained our situation and were immediately offered an upgraded room in the Soho hotel, another Firmdale gem. Ok, ideally we should have been told about the building when we booked, but as the problem was dealt with so well and quickly we were still impressed. And in addition to the upgrade, we were then offered a complimentary night back at the Charlotte street to be taken any time in the future - brilliant customer service. All the staff we met on each occasion were excellent, nothing too much trouble. On our last visit we were celebrating our 10th anniversary and were given champagne, a beautiful scented candle and even some bath and massage oil.
Breakfast is pricey, but you don't have to take this option and there are a dozen decent coffee bars around where you can have something more reasonable.
The decor is great, rooms small (unless you go for one of the luxury ones) but very nice and very well equipped and a brilliant location for Oxford St, Soho, Theatreland etc. It is an expensive hotel, but you are right in the heart of town and you get what you pay for. We love it and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Hebrew first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2009

Just returned from Charlotte Street hotel for my birthday weekend and am very disappointed. It is part of the same group at The Haymarket, and bears no comparison. We stayed at The Haymarket last year and it was just perfect, staff, service, rooms - everything was 100%. Charlotte Street is lacking - at least for the price.
Our room was small, view of some ugly air conditioning units outside, no seperate shower, no tea and coffee making tray - altogether not what we were expecting. The lady on reception asked me if the room was ok - I told her how I was feeling, and then they proceeded to do nothing about it!! WHY ASK???? A small gesture of a bottle of wine in the room - something that would only cost them a fiver - but would have made me feel less disgruntled - that was all it would have taken.
The breakfast - for £19.50 was grim. I had poached eggs and the plate was swimming in water - resulting in wet soggy bread - yuk! We ordered a paper and got the wrong one, and the second breakfast - in the room this time - was cold and totally inedible.
This is not a Travel Lodge for goodness sake - so not what you expect for £225.00 per night.
If you're going to book a london Hotel give this one a miss and try The Haymarket - you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Brenda R
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Katja, the Hotel Manager made this stay special, her attention to detail and service was personal and professional. The hotel is charming, warm, luxurious and elegant in a bustling area of London, with great restaurants, pubs and a lively youthful excitement. Young business people frequent the area as well as University students.

We stayed with our son who is studying at NYU London for the semester. We all enjoyed our stay in a beautful, large junior suite, with a spa like bath, most appreciated by our dorm living student. But, we all enjoyed every minute of our stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank tablesedge
Virginia
Reviewed 8 December 2008

Stayed 3 nights during Thanksgiving week. Room was impeccably maintained and comfortable. WiFi worked well, if expensive. Staff was friendly but not chummy. Location truly cannot be beat--walk to Theater, Soho, Oxford Street!!

• Liked — Quiet but central location.
  • Disliked — Bit expensive
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank miloux
ireland
Reviewed 8 December 2008

Just back from a disappointing stay at Charlotte Street. I had been so looking forward to our weekend break away but for me unfortunately Charlotte St just did not do it for me at all. I always prefer to stay in a small boutique hotel for the more personal touch but it just didnt seem to be happening here. First off we arrived early in the morning, too early for check in so left our bags at reception for a wander around the city. We had booked a show and dinner so rushed back to the hotel to have a quick shower in the evening and head back out but after checking into our room unfortunatley we found our shower was broken, we then had to ring maintenace and wait for this to be repaired. Unfortunately this meant having to cancel dinner as it went on for quite a while. Also sitting in my room while 2 guys from maintenace trudged in and out was slightly off putting to say the least!! I Anyway off we went to the show and had something to eat afterwards but arriving back at the hotel to have a drink in the bar was somthing else. At least 3 members of staff stopped us and asked us our room number ( at the door to the hotel, on the way to the bar by two staff members and again at the bar). They asked us to take a seat in the drawing room where they would bring us our drinks instead. It couldnt have been any later than 11:15 so its not like we were keeping them up until all hours of the morning. We waited 15 minutes for a glass of wine and a beer. It gets better, they have this lovely idea of an honesty bar....supposedly you can take a drink that you like from this bar and write on the book what you have taken and your room number. While we sat there drinking our drinks that we had ordered from the bar and signed for, at least four times the staff came in clearly to check what we were drinking then they would go to the "honesty" bar count all the items to make sure everything was there, I don't know if they thought we were going to clear the bar out or what but one drink there was certainly enough for us. The thing that really ticked me off tho was breakfast!!! When I am paying well over €600 for two nights including breakfast I think its a bit cheeky to get charged for a glass of juice and a bowl of cereal as a breakfast supplement,,,,I mean seriously are things that bad??? That was the final straw for me really. I had enough of Charlotte St and was just sooo disappointed. I had put alot of thought into booking this hotel as it was part of a surprise for my partners birthday but I just felt that any extra charge they could put on the bill they would. So if I were to go to London again I am afraid I would not be staying here. The hotel itself is lovely, so pretty from the outside but I just think it was a bit of a rip off and the staff just didnt have that lovely quality that you usually find when you stay at a smaller boutique hotel. I fell that my money could definitely have been spent a lot better.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
14 Thank amyIreland
Wembley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I’m afraid that I found the Charlotte Street hotel poor value for money. Great location, but not really my cup of tea.

The room that we were assigned was tiny and had a horrible brown pattern on the walls, bedspread, curtains etc. It made the room feel very claustrophobic. For a 5-star hotel, the hotel had very poor sound-proofing – you could hear the upstairs neighbours very easily and the constant door-slamming in the hallway drove us mad in the morning.

I found the bed very small for two people and the pillows way too soft. The shower was hot and powerful, but the bath was very deep and short people might have problems stepping out of it. However, the bathroom amenities were top-notch.

On the positive side, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

I would only recommend this property if you are on an expense account and looking for a great location. There are better value-for-money hotels in London.

• Liked — Friendly staff & location
  • Disliked — Too expensive for what they are offering
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank Wembleygal
Northants
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Following the overwhelmingly good reviews of the Charlotte Street Hotel on this website, I booked a weekend break for my wife and myself to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and I am extremely glad I did. The Hotel was excellent. Situated just north of Oxford Street, it is within walking distance of many places of interest, and sits within a lively area with many bars and restaurants, but is not affected at all by traffic noise. The staff were very attentive and helpful, and did all they could to make our stay a pleasant one, and they totally succeeded. Although we only had breakfast at the hotel, we mean to try the restaurant the next time we stay, as the food was very good. The rooms were well presented and equipped, and we left with the feeling that we'd had a great experience, and one we want to repeat. Highly recommended

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Costly, but justifiably so!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple