“Lovely base, nicely run”

Charlotte Street Hotel
Ranked #42 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 February 2010

We were in London for 1 week combining 2 days of work with 5 days of pleasure. The Charlotte street hotel was a very good location for that. The staff at the reception were caring and looked after us well. They gave us some good advice on touring London well. The rooms were a little small but bigger than many hotels in London. Would I return, I think yes.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank francine-abroad

Reviewed 26 January 2010

Lovely Hotel, excellent breakfast, great beds, great big - huge even - bathroom. If you want to splash some cash.. then this is the hotel. Not fussy but certainly elegant. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for families with young kids... this is they type of hotel where you want to get away from young kids...
Rather expensive though - around £ 300 per night... but oh so worth it !

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank kivapierce
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I love boutique hotels and this one does not disappoint. The rooms are charming, with lovely decor and a decent size. The bathrooms are big. The lobby, downstairs restaurant and bar/library are all wonderful. The location is fantastic just steps away from the subway and great restaurants and pubs. We could easily walk to the theater and Regents Park. I love to walk and we easily walked to Buckingham Palace, the giant Ferris Wheel, and even Chelsea.

Our room did not get very cold even though we had the air conditioning on high. I think that is just as good as it gets. But the room was never uncomfortable. The staff was very helpful - we scored great seats to a show that we were told was sold out. I will stay here again. The gym was quite nice too.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ReggieF
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Definitely the nicest boutique hotel in London in one of the nicest neighborhoods. A 3 minute walk to the clubs of Soho and with Regents Park just to the North you can play Jane Austin al the time!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank AvenueJ
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I've stayed here twice on my own, on both occasions it has been totally superb. The first time I stayed I received a warm welcome to the hotel, my room had been upgraded and I was allowed into it slightly early allowing me time to get to a meeting.

I had dinner in the restaurant with a friend, the waiter knew it was the first time I had stayed and offered us a complimentary glass of champagne. Having stayed in alot of varied hotels in London, that kind of attention to detail is rare, well actually I've never had it anywhere else... The food was good, wine list varied. Don't think I can say enough good things about this place, I wanted to move in and now spend most months working out when I can get back down to my favourite hotel.

The area is great too, a quiet pocket but handily great for drinks in soho, shopping and pretty much everything you need in London. Loads of other restaurants nearby too if you don't want to go far.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Edinburgh_travel
Reviewed 28 June 2009

I have to say I was completely blown away by this place - admittedly this may partly be due to the fact that I was whisked off here as a surprise for my 30th birthday - but nonetheless the level of service and personal attention was brilliant. We were given a guided tour of the lounge and library area downstairs (love the Honesty Bar!), and then showed to our room where we were brought glasses of complementary champagne. Nice touch. The chap showing us around was friendly, courteous and knowledgeable - pretty much faultless service.
At the risk of rambling on: beautiful room, well kitted out (good hairdryer, plenty of toiletries, robes, massive towels, tv+dvd player, umbrella in case you forgot yours!), delicious cooked breakfast brought to our room, very good air-con, fantastic shower (plus neat steam-proof mirror)...... and the room was so QUIET, which was amazing as Charlotte Street is hardly a sleepy part of town. For those of you not familiar with London, the location of this hotel could hardly be better: it's walking distance from Oxford Street shops, and there are loads of bars and restaurants right outside the hotel; plus there is a tube station just around the corner.
I can't comment on price/value as obviously this stay was a surprise for me - but if you're after something a bit special, then this is your spot.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GT_28
Reviewed 14 June 2009

We have stayed in this hotel on 3 occasions. On the 2nd visit there were building works in the lobby, which we were upset about as the stay was to celebrate a special occasion. We explained our situation and were immediately offered an upgraded room in the Soho hotel, another Firmdale gem. Ok, ideally we should have been told about the building when we booked, but as the problem was dealt with so well and quickly we were still impressed. And in addition to the upgrade, we were then offered a complimentary night back at the Charlotte street to be taken any time in the future - brilliant customer service. All the staff we met on each occasion were excellent, nothing too much trouble. On our last visit we were celebrating our 10th anniversary and were given champagne, a beautiful scented candle and even some bath and massage oil.
Breakfast is pricey, but you don't have to take this option and there are a dozen decent coffee bars around where you can have something more reasonable.
The decor is great, rooms small (unless you go for one of the luxury ones) but very nice and very well equipped and a brilliant location for Oxford St, Soho, Theatreland etc. It is an expensive hotel, but you are right in the heart of town and you get what you pay for. We love it and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple