“Perfect London hideaway”

Charlotte Street Hotel
Ranked #39 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 March 2011

For us, celebrating a birthday it was just a perfect hideaway. The location is great, we could walk to our favourite venue, the Royal Opera house and Covent Garden. Our room was cozy and elegant. Service was impeccable and the restaurant serves great food, we especially liked our breakfast with incredible choices and smooth and friendly service. The decor of the hotel is appealing and trendy, boutique and elegant without the nasty artsy fasty twist some boutique hotels add to their decor.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kepamad

Reviewed 6 March 2011

Fabulous hotel with lovelly rooms, service and bar. A great place to base yourselves whether shopping or sightseeing. It also has a good buzz!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulB079
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Stayed at The Charlotte Street Hotel for 3 nights with my family, we had 3 sumptuous rooms with heavenly beds and lovely bathrooms. We especially loved the bar and the cocktails! Lovely breakfast freshly made to order each morning -we felt truly spoilt. Not one family member had a negative comment we can't wait to come back. Thank you to all the wonderful staff for making our late Christmas break so memorable.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank DaisyLeeds
Reviewed 6 January 2011

After having flights cancelled to fly home for Christmas, my boyfriend and I checked in to the hotel for our Christmas day meal and stay.
The front of house manager greeted us warmly and we were shown to our room. I was slightly disappointed however as we were told given it was Christmas and quite empty we would be upgraded. While the room was in the Charlotte Street hotel style and comfort, it was still rather small with a view of a next door building and small (and slightly outdated) bathroom. The covering around the bed also had stains and was quite worn, not what I’d hoped for.

We then headed down for our meal booked under a set price and the Christmas package and the time booked in days in advance.
While other groups were all decked out in hats from their crackers on tables, we had nothing Christmassy to speak of on ours! Our waiter arrived and presented us with the standard dinner menu and left us. We grabbed him again to ask for the actual Christmas day menu, I explained I was vegetarian so definitely wanted the special veggie Christmas meal! He then suggested I have a salad from the main menu, as an example of the vegetarian offering?! To suggest a customer, vegetarian or not, would be happy with a salad on Christmas day was quite thoughtless and then we again and to clarify we had booked for the Christmas day menu (funny that, as it was Christmas day!) and we would like this. He then told us that as we were dining towards the end of the day (the time we had booked) he was not sure if the chef would still allow us to eat of the Christmas menu but would check.

In our view, as we had booked for this specific under the Christmas package, we should have been lead to a table, also decorated in a festive way, presented with the correct menu and left to decide. To have to have this discussion and query as we sat down for Christmas day should not have happened, especially when the meal was £95 a head!
The other waiters who served us were always topping our wine up and were very attentive and friendly which a great. However the further disappointment came with my actual meal. The vegetarian option was actually suitable for a vegan in that it was half a butternut squash, with a red pepper on top and some breadcrumbs. The entire thing took up a fifth of my plate! It was dry and bland, there was no sauce/gravy and just a few vegetables in bowls for both my partner and I to share. I’d be disappointed with this for a normal work day lunch, let alone a well regarded boutique hotel on Christmas day. It was clear veggies are completely low on their list of priorities as absolutely no thought went in to also creating a hearty, filling, delicious Christmas meal for me.

We then went back to our room and ordered a DVD through room service from their DVD library. What we actually received was just disc 2 of 2, so the 2nd part of Lord of the Rings, with about 1/1/2 hours of the film missing!
The next morning we waited for our breakfast ordered the evening before.
Surprise surprise: no toast as ordered and despite ticking a fry up option with about 6 different components, I received a few mushrooms and 2 runny fried eggs (Id requested easy over!). We then had a further interruption with room service then arriving with the toast they and forgotten and again when we had asked for the correct breakfast as ordered. 1 measly veggie sausage had been plonked on my plate, that when cut in the middle was still raw, and my eggs left as they were, not easy over as requested yet again! I didn’t eat any of it.

So on Boxing Day when we hoped to relax in our room and be served breakfast as ordered, we had 3 different interruptions bringing the food (not great when sat in dressing gown!) and even after notifying about the order, never received the breakfast we ordered.

At check out we mentioned this, and again the front of house manger was charming, refunded my meal the night before and was quite apologetic. However this won’t make up for a Christmas stay that was lacking in a festive spirit, should have gone comely smoothly (given the hotel wasn’t near full) but was littered with issues and queries and requests just not being fulfilled. Even with my meal being taken off, the entire 1 night stay cost us £500, which we both felt we could have spent elsewhere and had a far more pleasant experience. The staff are friendly and helpful but I felt our stay was a disappointment, and I hope the issues, specifically with the food, are put to the chef.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jemimastar1
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Stayed in a loft suite (very nice) for a night out with my wife and then dined across the road at Pied a Terre (great food). The room was great and the service first class - really quick turnaround on getting a shirt pressed, free bottle of champagne waiting for us (we were celebrating an anniversary) etc etc.

I have also used this hotel in the past several times for business meetings and found it to be excellent - very professional staff and good service.

Great contemporary decor throughout the hotel. Good bar and restaurant too - my only complaint is that the service at breakfast was very slow, but it was Saturday morning so not a big deal.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I stayed with my family and boyfriend at the Charlotte street Hotel for one night on my 21st birthday this year. From the moment we checked in we were treated like the most special guests they had had. Our dinner reservation at Roka on the same street had been unexpectedly cancelled due to them having a fire, and within minutes the hotel got us a reservation at Zuma, the sister restaurant. Once we were in our rooms there was a knock at the door and a member of staff came in with a tray of champagne and strawberries with a card saying happy birthday from them! The rest of the stay was more of the same outstanding treatment, from the private screening room with a cupcake waiting for me to breakfast in the Oscar bar. I can't wait for the next trip to London special enough to warrant staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 25 December 2010

Entertained customers starting at 12.00 with champagne at the bar then moved to a table across the room where some decent food was served along with wine from a helpful waiter. I expected a long lunch which never failed to deliver. Atmosphere fabulous from beginning to end which I'm almost ashamed to admit was around 21:00. This is one of "the" places to be right now. I can't gaurantee you celebs alongside you (although that might happen), but you will definetly find like minded people enjoying themselves, whatever the hour. If you are looking for a bar/restaurant theat never sleeps and isnt "up itslelf", this is the one. By the way I sayed a couple of times in the past and at £350 a night its pricey. The rooms are chic but can be small. I never made it into a suite but liked my small room. Sister hotel (undeservedly less popular) is less than 300 metres away - check out the Soho Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business