“Disappointing: noise, noise, noise”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #387 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Several 'small' issues that make our stay less pleasant. We're staying here another night, have had two. Biggest issue is the noise of the train and building site; terrible!! We hardly get any sleep, which is not the idea of an (expensive) hotel! After complaint were offered another room a few storyes higher but still on same side of the hotel. Other rooms were 'fully booked'. Yeah right.

Dirty bathroom, fridge that wouldnt open without creditcard, tv didnt work (is fixed), airconditioning doesnt cool, cold coffee at breakfast because we were seated underneath an airconditioning that DID work (freezing), had to ask three times for a cup of tea with teabag on the the side, still didnt get it. And more of these stupid little things that make it not a four star hotel for us.

Most of the staff is very kind.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Thomas S
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online.

I was disappointed to read about your experience with us on this occasion, please accept my sincere apologise. We have a manager on site 24 hours - do let us know if there was anything that we could help with.

Again, thank you for your feedback, this is much appreciated.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The best hotel I've stayed in by far for a long time!
Very friendly and polite staff in reception, restaurant and everywhere really
Lovely big room, comfortable bed, and as an extra bonus a river view of Vauxhall bridge from the 6th floor where I could also watch the trains pulling in and out of Vauxhall station.
Big bathroom with a bath and a separate shower. All new, clean and well maintained.
So what's not to like? Well being south of the river it's in the unfashionable side of town, but Lambeth isn't all bad. Walking / running along the south bank affords brill views of the city and Westminster, and there are plenty of bridges to the other side.
Closer to home, top tips are the late nite and early morning store out of the hotel on the right, and if you turn left out of the hotel towards Vauxhall there are 5 or 6 restaurants between the texaco garage and Vauxhall station if the expensive hotel restaurant is over budget or a bit samey for more than one night. I went to Pico (mediteranian / Italian) which is well worth a look in.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian H
Ebi P, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I was thrilled to read such a perfect review of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon to Park Plaza Riverbank London.

Kind regards,

Ebi Patani
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Excellent property right across the street from the Thames. Within walking distance of Big Ben, The Eye, etc. Restaurant and bar very friendly with excellent choices of food and drinks. Hotel was clean and modern. Staff helpful and very accommodating.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charles P
PaulJamesSanchez, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for such lovely praise and a succint review of our hotel and staff.
I am overjoyed that you enjoyed your stay here with us and I look forward to welcoming you back here!
Paul James Sanchez

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Came to London for business and choose to stay at Park Plaza Riverbank property. Overall the property is nice. My room was nice and clean. The only issue was that the windows which were facing another guest window, had curtains made from a light fabric that you can see through, which I thought the guest on the other side could see inside my room. But besides that, everything in the room was great! The employees were very warm, friendly, and always willing to help. It was my first time in London so I asked the front desk agents and Concierge tons of questions. The buffet breakfast looked great but didn't have an opportunity to try it because I was always on the run. The room service team were excellent! They brought me my meal quickly. I was a little demanding, yet they did everything to please me. The gym on the property was small and quaint yet clean. I would say overall I was pretty satisfied with Park Plaza Riverbank. Although it was not much a concern of mines, I would say the only downfall is the location. I do see that the location may be a concern for others who is looking for a quick bite to eat or who doesn't like to walk. The hotel sits about 700 feet from the Lambeth bridge and about a 5-10 minutes walk from the Westminster bridge. There are not much restaurants or things to do around the hotel. Most of the times, I would walk to the nearest Tube station which is called Vauxhall to go into the city or I would walk across the bridge into the Westminster area for a bite to eat or to get into something. However still it wasn't a problem for me since it was my first time in London and I didn't mind exploring. The restaurant/bar on property looked nice and classy and stayed opened late. I think this property was more ideal for couples, solo, and for business because of the location. But overall this was a great property!

Room Tip: If you can, try to upgrade to a room with a nice view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for leaving such a detailed and honest review.
We are in a location that is quiet and away from the noise of the inner City, however only a short walk from all the attractions and public transport.
Should our guests need information on local restaurants and bars we have a dedicated Concierge Team that are on hand to accomodate.
Thank you for also mentioning our warm staff, it is always pleasing to hear such comments.
I look forward to you returning back to us.
Sincerely and in your service,
Paul James Sanchez

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Ideally located for Westminster a short 1 mile walk along the river. Speedy check in, very helpful staff and good size rooms with all mod cons including free wifi (albeit only low speed unless you want to pay £5 per day.

A really good breakfast was included on my rate and there is a nice modern bar. I didn't use the restaurant as it is beyond my expense limits but room service menu is reasonably priced.

Also a decent gym and business facilities.

I will be staying here regularly from now on, as it is hard to beat for the combination of location and quality at a reasonable price!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Dave,

Thank you for posting your review, this is much appreciated.

We shall be looking forward to your future visits!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed my first few days in London in another Hotel that had a five star rating. We left, spent a few days in Paris and returned to London. We decided to try a different hotel and ended Up at the Park Plaza Riverbank. Not only was this a much nicer hotel, but the people were extremely helpful (especially the bellman Simon) I would recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: If you can stay in one of the apartments you won't be sorry.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank OldVehiclesarebest

Dear Guest,

Amazing comments, thank you very much!

We appreciate your recommendation, hopefully we will get the chance to host you again some time soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We choose to stay at this hotel as we were attending a function there and thought it woulde be easier. Admittably we paid the basic price so the room we got was facing the building site. Not too pretty! Also close to a rail line. That said although noise was present it was not so loud that it effected us. The room was a reasonable size and nicely furnished. Bed quite comfortable. I liked the room safe and big enough to get a tablet or small notebook in. The FREE internet is very slow 256kpbs, And to get a faster connection would have incurred a cost. But even the published speeds on that were slow especially when in the heart of the city! BREAKFAST - unfortunately it was busy and best described as chaos. It felt a bit like a cafe... The staff although helpful and polite were struggling to keep up with demand. The food was not topped up and was cold! I was dissapointed for a 4* hotel. I felt that I had better quality breakfast for £8 on a recent visit to a London Premier Inn. That said the second morning because of the breakfast chaos and the fact that someone was seated in the queue before us we were then offered a table for 4 for two of us and we gave this up for a party of 4 we were upgraded to the 5* restaurant upstairs. The same breakfast but hotter, quieter and a much more pleasant way to start the day.
Would I stay at this hotel again? YES but only on a special occassion and I would make sure I upgraded to a river view room and 5* breakfast.
Were the staff friendly and helpful? Yes mostly. The breakfast staff were just overwhlemed by the numbers.
But I would look to other hotels before this one first depending on my needs and where I needed to be. But it was in a great location on the South Bank and easy walking to the centre of the Capital.

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade to a front facing room to avoid the building site and rail line. This will be a must...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recommendation, this is much appreciated.

However, I was disappointed to read your comments with regards to breakfast, which were in contrary to the experience that we strive to offer. I will make sure that this goes directly to our Food & Beverage Manager so he can take action.

Please contact us directly prior to your next visit should you wish to upgrade to one of the Executive Riverview rooms. Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review.