“Solid hotel along the Thames”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #381 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Knoxville, TN
“Solid hotel along the Thames”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

My stay at the Park Plaza Riverbank in London can best be described as entirely reasonable. I did arrive with some trepidation as the reviews on Trip Advisor seem to be all over the board.

Typical for an American arriving in London, my flight arrived early in the morning (in my case at 5:30 am local time). Several reviewers mentioned difficulty in checking in early. So, I decided to wait out the morning hours in the Terminal 1 Arrivals Lounge. Eventually, I worked my way to the hotel around 1 pm. Unfortunately, I was told my requested room was not yet available. I did email the hotel and specifically request a "quiet" room as several reviewers mentioned ongoing construction surrounding the hotel. The hotel offered to hold my bag and asked me to return at 2 pm. So, I decided to take a stroll up the embankment returning at the indicated time. Well, my room still was not ready. At that point, I was more than happy to take any room that vaguely would conform to my request. So, they went ahead and got me into a room on the 10th floor facing the inner courtyard, presumably a quiet location.

The room itself was functional and as expected. It did require the key card to be placed in a slot before power was available. This, of course, meant the room itself was a bit toasty and stuffy as no air was circulating. I really wish there was some option to override that function for guests before arrival. Regardless, the room size was typical by American standards which also meant that it was larger than usual for London. The bathroom was particularly nice with a separate shower and bathtub as well as a magnifying vanity mirror and telephone on the wall. The toiletries were Dead Sea brand manufactured in Italy. A small sewing kit, shower cap, and shoe shine cloth were also provided. The main room included two closely placed twin beds. I did originally request a double bed, but my desire to get into my room trumped my concern for bed choice. Opposite the bed was a dresser with ample storage space and a minibar with sensor activated charging. I thought there would be a second small refrigerator based on prior reviews, but there was not. One drawer did include a pot to warm water as well as tea, coffee, and hot chocolate supplies. A small cookie snack was also there for a makeshift afternoon tea. All the items were routinely resupplied during the week I was there. A relatively large television sat on top of the dresser. There were around 40-50 channels, however, only 15 seemed to be in English. So, the selections are rather limited. In addition, the channel selection system has a delay feel, so it is hard to zip around to find something to watch.

The hotel does provide free internet access. I found that terribly useful as I could watch Netflix on my US account even though I was in the UK. Its location is reasonable on the Albert Embankment directly south from the County Hall area of Westminster. The closest tube station is Vauxhall on the Victoria line. From the tube station, it took me six minutes to reach the hotel at a brisk walking clip. If one wanted to get to the Westminster tube and its three available lines, the walk would be around 15 minutes. A small grocery is literally less than 100 feet from the hotel and open until 11 pm. A Tesco Express is a little south of the Vauxhall metro and around eight minutes from the hotel.

Is there room for improvement? Well, sure there is. There were a series of minor annoyances that did not distract from the overall stay, but certainly should be mentioned. For example, the magnifying vanity mirror would not sit in place (tipping upward no matter what I tried) basically making it nonfunctional. Melted ice (yes, water) was left in the ice bucket on every day of the room cleaning except for one. One day, the hot chocolate was not replenished. The room itself showed many scuffs and scratches as well as several small holes in the curtains. The bed is super firm to the point of being hard to sleep on. Oh, "upgrades" which are usually free in the US (i.e. a nice view when the hotel is not crowded) are pushed aggressively for sale. Again, nothing even close to ruining a vacation, but simply room for improvement.

So, my bottom line is that the Park Plaza Riverbank in a solid hotel in London and would be a reasonable choice for a future trip to London.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location or a Big Ben view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank dukektown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here one night with my mother in a twin room- the majority of the hotel looked clean and tidy- but the carpet on the second floor was covered in muddy foot prints (that were there on arrival and the next day). Our room was nice- very spacious bathroom, with shower and bath- though we weren't sure about the "wet hair" picture on the wall... It was also quite dark, which we found a little off putting. One set of the bed sheets didn't look completely clean. The room was also quite cold- despite the air con being apparently set at 25 degrees.
There was a good selection at breakfast- staff were friendly and attentive. We were ok with the all black elevators- but imagine this may be a bit much for some who don't like small spaces.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here sometime back and it was very impressive. Nice sized suites (for london) with creative decor. Kitchen, big fridge.

Only knock is the pricing, like most things in London it's expensive. The location is good, but it's not in a 'tourist area'. Overall it's a very good hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
PaulJamesSanchez, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

And also a big thank you for your wonderful praise!

We are located on the door staep of the River Thames and a stones throw from all the major attractions starting with the Embankment, our wonderful Concierge are always on hand to point our guests in the right direction to where they wish to visit.

With many a way of transport connections you are always able to get where you need to be.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back here!

Paul James Sanchez.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel is in a very groovy area but not central but a short walk to the Vauxhall tube. Nevermind because it's all about the views. The views of the river and Westminster are breathtaking. Really. The restaurant was pretty good.

Room Tip: Splurge for the executive / river view rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JADE-NY0079
Ebi P, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Spectacular review!!! Thank you .

We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully very soon.

Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We've just spent four very comfortable nights at the Park Plazza Riverbank. We had booked an Executive room for ourselves and a standard room for our daughter, however, on check-in my daughter had been up graded so we could be on the same floor. A really nice touch.

Location - The hotel is between Vauxhall bridge and Lambeth bridge, 7 minutes walk from Vauxhall tube station, which is on the Victoria line. It's an easy one mile walk from Westminister Bridge (Houses of Parliament and Big Ben) It's not very central, but that's a plus, it's nice to get away from the crowds.

The Hotel is spotlessly clean, with a large airy lobby, and cool bar and restaurant all on the ground floor. As with all large cities, customer service in London can be a bit patchy but not here. The customer service makes this hotel stand out. Every time you request something you get a follow up phone call to see if the item or service has arrived, the staff are lovely, and very helpful and polite.

We had a room on the 10th floor facing Westminster and the view from the very large windows (which actually open!) were fantastic. Air con was effective, and the large bathroom with a choice of three shower heads was spacious and very clean.

We had room service on our forth night, as we'd returned for a rest after many hours of tramping the streets of London, and just could't make it out again. The food and service was excellent. You can access the RS menu via your television, and the choice is extensive.

Breakfast - We have been to very many expensive cities, but the £21.50 charged here for breakfast is possibly the most expensive we have ever come across. We decided we couldn't bring ourselves to pay it, so we walked back towards Vauxhall tube, and 5 minutes along the road is a Portugese Cafe called Maderia Cafe. What a find! Fab, really fresh pastries and cakes, even full English breakfast for next to nothing. Four of us ate full breakfasts with drinks for under £15 .

One last thing! A massive thank you again to the young barman who gave our camera to security after my husband left it on the table in the bar. Camera's are replaceable, but it had over 200 photographs of my nieces wedding on, which were not! We didn't realise until the next day that we didn't have it and the staff were very kind and helpful in re-uniting us with it.

Great hotel, we'll be back. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: There is a 2 for 1 cocktail 'happy hour' deal on in the bar, but beware, you have to ask for...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank U H
Dear buddingtravelguru,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

What an outstanding review!! Thank you for taking the time to post this. I am very pleased to have read that your camera which had over 200 photographs but more importantly your nieces wedding was returned back to you.

Please do message on your return visit so I can arrange some drinks in our bar as a welcome back touch.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Attractive views of river and central
Friendly staff throughout
Delicious food in chinese restaurant
Room very comfortable , slept very well
but really disliked the life size slightly scary painting /mural on the
Wall by my bed of a starey eyed girl and a growling dog, a more relaxing picture would be more
Relaxing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Linda C,

Thank you for review.

I am happy to have ready “Delicious food in chinese restaurant” which I am sure you will be back for some more. We have taken on broad your feedback in regards to our paintings.

We look forward to opening our doors to you again soon.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We booked here for one night before heading to Paris. What a find. Great view of Big Ben from our room. Just a short walk to the London Eye and Waterloo Bridge. Very conveniently located to Westminster. Service in the hotel was quite good. We only had breakfast in the hotel. It was excellent. We should have elated dinner there because the pub we found was horrible.

Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a Thames view room. It is worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Thunder D,

Thank you for review on TripAdvisor.

Please do return and enjoy our Chino Latino restaurant it is to die for.

We look forward to opening our doors to you again soon.