“Lovely stay, but also be informed!”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #385 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Hobart, Australia
“Lovely stay, but also be informed!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We just recently stayed for five nights, our second visit to this hotel. We had a riverview room, which was a suite. It was really nice and had a lovely view. The room was spotless. Reception friendly. Breakfast room, well the service there was nothing like I have experienced really, the staff worked so hard, and very attentive to our needs. Full marks there for sure. We found it an ideal place to stay with Vauxhall station close by, and lovely walks along the Thames. But I guess I have to be honest in my reviews otherwise what is the point. There is construction work going on each side of the hotel. We had been told they would not start until 9, yes I know, we should be up and about by that time of the day, but when you have travelled 26 hours to get there, a sleep in just seems to happen! Unless of course there is construction work, which actually did start at varying hours from 745 on including Saturday morning. To be honest it would not have caused any problems, except i wasn't well, and needing a quiet place to lay down, was not able to be done. But please do not let this turn you off, as I would definitely return again. The staff are exceptional!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ebi P, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Escapader,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to have seen that you enjoyed your second visit with us. We hope that you have recovered full health.

Please feel to message me on your return visit.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (873)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great location and real London experience. Ideal for family holiday , please book Jr. suite.
I must say Ms. Momita Banerjee, who was extremely helpful with last minute coordination.
cool part is there are two hotels in same building : )

Room Tip: Jr. suite with river view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear boldbeam,

Thank you for sharing your review with us all.

Such a lovely, simple review and for your staff mention.

Please feel to message me on your return visit.

Guest Relations Manager.
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel through Hotwire.com. Having booked blind to take advantage of the "hot" rates on Hotwire, we only knew the general location of the hotel, but we got a reasonable rate of around EUR 152 (around GBP 120) per night, without breakfast. The hotel itself is nice, and just about does enough to deserve its 4-star rating in terms of the ambiance and room furnishings. Its location is not ideal for sightseeing, though - it's at least a 10-minute walk from the Vauxhall tube station, which is right at the southern boundary between zones 1 and 2 of London. It's best to figure out the bus routes close to the hotel as these will save you a lot of walking, and it's always more pleasurable to see the sights around you as you travel, rather than traveling underground. If you're traveling with luggage, it may also be better to take the bus as you don't have to climb steps, although the buses will of course be subject to traffic. If you're taking the Gatwick Express from Victoria station for instance, you may be better off taking Bus 507 to Victoria (tip: go outside the hotel, turn right, walk towards the Parliament and the Thames but staying on the same side of the Thames, and you should eventually find the stop).

I had emailed ahead to request for a quiet room and for an early check-in, having taken note of many complaints here on Tripadvisor about construction noise. We were not able to check in early, and had to wait in the lobby until close to the 2 p.m. regular check-in time. My request for a quiet room was noted, and we were given a room on the 9th floor whose view was of other rooms at the hotel and over some sort of enclosure which was completely covered by a roof, and the view below was perhaps the roof of the ground floor. In short, there was no view of the sky at all. We kept the curtains drawn all the time for privacy, as guests in the rooms across could see directly into our room (and we into theirs). There was a perpetual humming sound and sensation which may disturb light sleepers, and some faint construction noise could be heard, but it would appear that this was indeed the best part of the hotel as the sound had already been absorbed by other areas of the hotel.

We stayed in the most basic (superior) room, which some may find rather small but which we had no problems with. It had a double bed with an office table and leather sofa chair. Guests are required to provide their credit card details or a cash deposit for the minibar to be opened, which was a minor irritation as we wanted to store some food in the minibar but had no intention of getting anything from the minibar. The carpet on the floor bore an iron stain, and the handle of the window was broken. The bathroom was nice, with a separate bathtub and shower cubicle. A towel bar by the sink was missing, so you had to move around to grab a towel by the bathroom door after washing your face and hands. The shower cubicle had both an overhead waterfall shower and a detachable shower head. We were not provided bathroom slippers and a laundry bag, so I had to call housekeeping to request for these. There was a water kettle in the room, but its cable was extremely short so it had to be situated right next to the outlet. Complimentary instant coffee and tea and a ginger biscuit are furnished.

We were disappointed with the housekeeping staff. Upon our return to the hotel on our second night, I noticed that we were not given new vanity kits (containing cotton buds) and soap. I called the front desk to point this out, but told them that we did not want to be disturbed by someone bringing the additional amenities. I instead requested that the housekeeping staff ensure that these items were brought when the room was cleaned the following morning. Lo and behold, however, when we returned in the evening, there was neither additional soap nor vanity kits. I called the front desk and was told that only in executive rooms were amenities replenished everyday, unless you requested for them. I then pointed out that I did make such a request the previous night, and the front desk staff had them brought over.

We also noticed that the hotel staff did not greet guests entering or leaving the hotel, making you feel as if they could not care less whether or not you were hotel guests. This was not what I expected of a 4-star hotel in London.

We did not avail of the overpriced breakfast at the hotel - we were offered the "promo" rate of GBP 12 per person, and only if we had booked for all three nights. Otherwise, the cost of breakfast is GBP 20 per person. We noticed a grocery (Embankment Grocery) right next to the hotel, but did not enter it as we had bought food elsewhere. Be prepared for this, as there are no cafes or restaurants you can have breakfast at which are conveniently located relative to the hotel.

Our main gripe with this hotel was the very poor quality of the wifi. I had also complained about the quality of the wifi to the front desk, and was told that the service provider would be contacted. I did not hear back from the staff about the issue. It was either difficult to connect, or to remain connected to the network, as the strength of the wifi signal fluctuated. Even when connected, however, the speed of the Internet connection was very slow. This had a major impact on our stay in London, as I had intended to try buying the extra Wimbledon tickets sold on Ticketmaster at 9 a.m. of the day prior to the intended matches. I had been successful with this system several years ago, but this entailed clicking on the link at precisely 9 a.m., as even a one-minute delay will cost you the opportunity. I had tested the Internet connection in the run-up to 9 a.m., but at 9 a.m., the system slowed down again, forcing me to refresh my connection. I had only been able to connect to the Ticketmaster site a few minutes after 9 a.m., and as expected, there were no longer any available tickets. As our stay in London was very short, there was no other day on which I could watch at Wimbledon.

Upon leaving the hotel, I had inquired of the Concierge staff about whether it was feasible to take the bus to Victoria station rather than taking the Tube. We were flying out of Gatwick and therefore had to take the Gatwick Express from Victoria Rail Station. The concierge staff advised us that Bus 507 went to Waterloo and not to Victoria, so the Tube was our best bet. We had sufficient allowance to take the bus, and did not fancy going up and down steps with out luggage (and did not want to spend on a taxi), so it was a good thing we double-checked the bus route. Bus 507 did indeed go to Waterloo, but it terminates at Victoria station at the opposite direction.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review.

I am glad that overall you had a good time in London. Please rest assured that all points raised in your feedback will be looked at - and action taken where necessary.

Once again, thank you for your input, this is much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Maciej Hille
Senior Guest Relations Manager
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Located just a short walk from the Vauxhall tube station. Check in and out process was done without a hassle very nice lobby. Nice sized room (especially for London) I stayed in a queen sized room with a seating area small sized kitchen and a full sized refrigerator with an espresso maker. The bathroom was spacious and nicely decorated. WiFi was present throughout the hotel and the room also included American & European power sockets near the work station. No complaints. I would(and already have) recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ebi P, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Triniczz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to have read that you enjoyed your time with us here at Park Plaza Riverbank and for you kind review.

Please feel free to message me on your return visit.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I regularly travel with work & have stayed at the Park Plaza Riverbank every 1-3 months for over 5 years & always enjoy staying here. It may be a little of the beaten track for the liking of some tourists but for me, it is a perfect location, a quick 10 minute walk over the bridge to work in Westminster. The rooms are exceptionally quiet (guests next door are rarely audible), safe for female travellers (sturdy doors!), clean rooms, large bathrooms, ample toiletries, & the staff are mostly very helpful. Delicious breakfasts are delivered to rooms on request & I have always had very prompt replies from room service & housekeeping. It is particularly appreciated that rooms are cleaned when guests want them to be, at pretty much any time of day or night, & without the incessant 'room service' disruptions & knocking on doors that happens in many top hotels . The night duty staff are particularly helpful - some of whom have been working at the hotel for the 5 years I have stayed - sometimes I have returned late from work & the night staff have always been able to help with any problems I have had.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from train tracks & construction work.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Fiona M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us all.

On behalf of the entry team here at Park Plaza Riverbank, I would like to thank you for your continuous loyalty throughout the pass 5 years. I am pleased that you continue to enjoy stay with us.

Please feel free to message me on your return visit and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Bath
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Great position but my room was completely dark day and night which is not welcomed in the middle of the summer. Very quiet but there was a lot of construction work on either side of the hotel. The back looks over the railway tracks. The food food was distinctly average and housekeeping never replied to me email, so service not great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel was great. My husband and I stayed here three nights in June. There is a little bit of construction going on next door, which hindered our view a little, but didn't ever wake us up. Only about a 15min walk to the London Eye and many of the major attractions, and very close to the pick up for all the bus tours. Has a few restaurants and bars close by to eat. Hotel was very clean, housekeeping service was excellent. It has USA outlets, so no converter was needed. We did not have breakfast included and it was pricey to add it on, but there is a market right next door that had a few options, and cafes within a five minute walk. Would highly recommend!

Dear kzehn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

I am pleased to have read your review that both you and your husband enjoyed your time with us and in London.