“Beware - Building work!”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #388 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booked direct with the hotel some 6 months before my stay. Therefore disappointed that they did not extend a courtesy and let me know about the extensive building work on both sides of the hotel!

Crates, piling machines and work equipment on and off site on both sites where presumably new apartments are being constructed, visible and heard as I arrived. I asked reception to place me in a room away from the construction site noise and they allocated an interior courtyard room. This however was very dark. The roof area of the atrium being covered in what looked like scaffolding and wooden sheets. I had a constant humming noise from this area through the window which lead to me being disturbed most of the time.

Room OK but very dark. Carpet in room and those around the hotel seemed in need of replacement. Rather grubby and thread bare.

I understand building work can happen and both sites probably nothing to do with the hotel - BUT, I would expect that the hotel have the courtesy to let me know in advance of my stay. For this reason my grading is only a three star average.

Room Tip: Really at a loss what to suggest. Building sites on two sides, railway to the rear - or a dark court...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
MaciejHille, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Your comments are much appreciated, thank you for posting your review.

I was disappointed to learn that your stay was not perfect this time - I have forwarded your feedback to the relevant departments and we will make all effort possible to make your next visit a more enjoyable one.

As you rightly mention, the construction near the hotel is carried out by an independent developer. However, please rest assured that we work closely with our neighbours and disruption for our guests is minimal.

Once again, thank you for your input, and we should hope to see you at one of our London properties again very soon!

Yours sincerely,

Maciej Hille
Senior Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel and we really enjoyed our stay.

My biggest complaint is the wifi service. It worked sporadically for our entire 3night stay which was very frustrating.

On a positive note, the service from the doorman and the concierge team was fantastic!

Our room was inward facing (atrium), which meant no natural light. However this didn't bother us giving us our first opportunity to sleep in for weeks!!

The rooms are large and well equipped, separate bath and shower was great. Beds are large and the aircon is quiet.

We didn't eat in the hotel, instead we had breakfast each morning along the river at coffee stands etc.

The location is good for those familiar with London. It's about a 10min walk to Vauxhall tube station (Victoria tube line), or a 15min walk up to Westminster Bridge. Having previously lived in London we had no problems taking the buses from the area, but first time visitors to London may find that the hotel is a little far from the main tourist sites.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank AliSydney82
PaulJamesSanchez, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your online review.

We did indeed have an issue with the Wi-Fi, for which I apologise, however you will be pleased to know that both in conjunction with the service provider and our great IT department we are now up and running to full specification.

Thank you for leaving your notes on the transport and our dedicated Concierge are always on hand to point our guests who are not that familiar with London, in the right direction.

I look forward to your return.

Sincerely and in your service,

Paul James Sanchez.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Firstly location is wonderful for everything you need to see in Westminster, with a great walk along the Albert Embankment to see all the sights. My room was overlooking a building site with a big crane working all day, but I can honestly say it did not disturb us at all, we could hear no sounds from the building site or the railway that ran along side the room but we alsohad a great view of the River from the room also. .There is rooms at the front of the Hotel with un uninterupted views over the River but I was more than happy in my room SO DONT PANIC !!!!!
This Hotel had other reasons to be congratulated, FREE WI-FI & Plug Sockets for instance, so many I gave up counting, great lighting, air con that worked fine, lovely bathroom with good products, all in all this room could not be faulted. Breakfast was more than adequate, full English or continental, plenty of choice here, if I had one complaint it was that the dining chairs in the Breakfast room are to close to other other people, but thats my opinion I am sure most people would not notice something like that.
There is a really nice lounge Bar with very good comfortable seating I enjoyed having a nice drink here. The Hotel was spotless, the reception area was very bright and reception staff very nice and helpful.
Just outside the Hotel is a mini market so this is really useful should you need anything quickly.
I plan to return to the Hotel again this year, and its great value for money if you shop around.

Business or pleasure I would return to the Hotel, well done to this Hotel for delivering a very good service.

Room Tip: Not sure as I was happy with my room so didnt ask for upgrade
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
PaulJamesSanchez, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Fantastic review and thank you!

I really do appreciate your honesty in your review and also the kind words you had left.

It is truly gratifying to hear the honest and wonderfully detailed account of your stay here with us and I will duly pass on your comments around the hotel.

Please do email me before your return and I will have a lovely bottle of wine waiting for you in your room on arrival.

Until then, have a great summer!!

Paul James Sanchez.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Modern comfortable hotel on the Albert Embankment. Well located for central London tourist attractions.
Friendly knowledgeable staff who did their utmost to help.
Highlight was view from Riverside room (an extra but well worth it)
Stunning and spectacular.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking river an extra but worth it for the spectacular view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Ebi P, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear BigRon99,

Thank you for sharing your review with us all.

“What a superb” review we could not have asked for more .

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Good location on Albert Embankment, pretty much opposite Westminster Palace. A little further from a tube station than would be ideal though I guess. Great professional staff, good sleep quality, well equipped room / bathroom, excellent breakfast. Only gripe would be tv and Internet signal a little erratic at times, but in the main was fine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear PGBakes,

Thank you for sharing your review with us all,

I am pleased to have read that you enjoyed our “excellent breakfast” you should come back for some more it is even better now with more selections.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel was booked for my granddaughter and me through Trafalgar Travel Services. The hotel was ok. Check in was very quick although our room had been changed, probably from one of the nicer views to that of a construction site. The breakfast was "free" as part of the cost of the tour. Our evening meal was best done by room service and was actually cheaper than eating the hotel fare. Two of the plugs in our room did not work and were actually pushed back into the wall. If I were to book through Trafalgar again, I would request a better room next time.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise and hopefully a better view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Barbara H

Dear Barbara H,

Thank you for sharing your review with us all,

I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and in London. Thank you for your feedback in regards to the plugs which we have addressed.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Was looking for something in central London that would break the bank. Surprised to find this hotel for under 200 pounds a night. The hotel seems pretty new and has plenty of amenities and is pretty upscale, especially considering the price on the week when there was a lot going on in London. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. On the first night, valet had a little hiccup with my car being ready on time the next day but without my asking, they refunded the entire charge for the day. Didn't expect it and was extremely pleasantly surprised. They were also extremely apologetic and make sure that for the rest of this thing everything went perfectly. Would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here if back in London.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank sbenus

Dear sbenus,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to have read that the hiccup you faced was resolved in a timely manner and that you enjoyed your time with us.

Please feel to message me on your return visit.