“Stay away!”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #393 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 November 2010

My boyfriend and I visited this hotel during the summer when we were traveling in Europe. I was excited since it was a 4 star hotel on hotels.com. Let me say that it did not live up to its rating. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Jonathan at the concierge. He was cold and short, and not very welcoming. Since I had pre-purchased the room, I brought my print out as confirmation. I presented the printout, and Jonathan looked at me like I had 10 heads. He seemed confused and had to "go in the back" to check on it. Finally, he returned and all was squared away. While we were standing there I asked if he could suggest a place to eat for lunch. He told me flatly that he couldn't, and that I would have to visit the concierge desk that was literally 20 feet away.
My boyfriend and I did visit the concierge desk, and the man there (can't remember his name) was nice, but entirely unhelpful. We asked if he could recommend a good Chinese place for lunch. He couldn't, and had to Google it!!! I was shocked. He showed my boyfriend and I the Google screen, and scrolled through the choices. THIS IS SOMETHING I COULD HAVE DONE MYSELF! When visiting a foreign country, travelers rely on the concierge's expertise and knowledge of the area. This hotel was completely unhelpful.
The room, I have to say, was very clean and comfortable. We did enjoy the room.
The location of the hotel was less than ideal for us. The hotel was located on the South Bank, and we would have liked to stayed more centrally located in the city. It was a bit of a trek to get to all the London sights.
Overall, I would stay anywhere other than here next time I visit London due to the poor staff at the hotel and secondly, the location. Perhaps if the staff were more helpful and friendly, I would give this hotel a second thought.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iteach1981
PPRLLondon, EA to Regional General Manager UK at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2010

Dear Iteach1981,
Thank you very much for your comments, I can only apologise for the shortfall in standards which you experienced at our concierge desk, I have since spoken to the relevant managers who will address the issues experienced to ensure that they do not reoccur. Unfortunately, due to fluctuating business levels, we often need to use agency staff in our concierge department, and, while every effort is made to provide them with the highest standard of training, I do appreciate that their local knowledge may fall short of that of our regular concierge team. Please be assured that everything possible is being done to avoid similar situations in future.
Yours Sincerely,
Helen Bond

Reviewed 2 November 2010

This hotel is a joke, we booked a hotel room for 1 night several months ago for a celebration of a birthday for 5 people. We arrived to a full hotel, only to be told that they had given our rooms to someone else. The manager couldn't have cared less, and there were also 2 other guests who had booked and paid for their rooms, and theirs had been given away also. We waited for 2 hours and 20 minutes for them fo find us a room. It ruined our celebration.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank brad186460
StevenSands, Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2010

Dear brad186460

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I was sorry to hear about your room not being available for you and the manner in which it was dealt with. Please do give me a call, your time permitting of course, as I would like to make contact with yourself so that we may redeem ourselves and show you our usual high level Park Plaza hospitality.

Kind regards
Steven Sands
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 31 October 2010

Having booked a regular river view room, we were upgraded on arrival to a suite on the 7th floor which had the most amazing views along the Thames towards Westminster. It was magical at night when the buildings were floodlit and the lights of London twinkled. We ate in the hotel restaurant where the service was very good even though it was a busy Saturday evening. I can thoroughly recommend the tasting menu - a real treat! Our lazy Sunday breakfast in the restaurant was first class. The staff were attentive, but not intrusive and the wonderful selection of food meant we had the perfect start to our day. From start to finish our experience of this hotel was very positive and we hope to return soon.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I've been in this hotel on two occasions. The first time I was upgraded to a business suite. Second time around (last weekend), I had a regular room in the main part of the hotel. On both occasions the rooms were fine, but the smaller room was even more comfortable than the larger one. Great selection of television channels including SKY 1, 2 and 3 (although, sadly, I missed the Manchester United v. Stoke match on one afternoon). And the mini bar was one of the best-value room bars I have encountered in my travelling life.

The room service was not the greatest. On a Sunday morning, I left the room at about 12 noon and attached a "please make up the room" notice to my door. After I had returned round about 5.00 p.m., the room had still not been serviced. Against this, however, the restaurant service to the room was absolutely fine. I had breakfast in the hotel on a couple of occasions and I still have good memories of the bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Mmmmm...delicious! Coffee was of the good but not great variety.

The hotel is about six-seven minutes walk from Vauxhall tube station. There's also a bus station adjacent to the tube station. On the Sunday morning, I took a bus from Vauxhall to Marylebone and the trip was as good as any bus tour (enhanced by the details of each stop relayed to the passengers). I know that Traveller Plus has extolled the virtues of London bus travel on this site before. Although I'm primarily a tube user, I must confess that I will use the bus again (after experiencing the superb views from the top deck of the Marlebone bus on a crisp and sunny autumnal afternoon).

When you leave Vauxhall tube station, you can also approach the hotel via a riverbank walk. I arrived in London just as dusk was falling, on a cold clear night, and the view of Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament in the distance was a major enhancement of my walk to the hotel. The words of Wordsworth's "Upon Westminster Bridge" were resonating with me at the time (although, admittedly, I was near Vauxhall bridge and the Wordsworth poem is set at sunrise not at dusk).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Have stayed here a few times and have never been disapointed. Came for my 40th birthday and my sister-in-laws 30th birthdays along with my mum. Have always managed to get a good rate through last minute or otel, and have managed to get a riverview in the past- unfortunately couldn't get one this time as the hotel was full. Check in swift and was even told a bottle of wine would be delivered to my room as it was my birthday (it didn't actually materialise!!!) The rooms are superb, clean, comfortable beds, beautiful bathroom with lush toiletries and with all the other usual amenities needed. We payed for an extra bed for the first night and when it was still there the next night rang to ask for it to be removed- within a few minutes guest services arrived to do so! The room was on the warm side but the air con didn't seem to work on cool- so we opened the window! Minus point- very short lead on kettle and only place to plug it in was the other side of the room away from the tea/coffee drawer???
Breakfast just fantastic- hot, well cooked, but no fried eggs- asked if I could have one- no problem at all- a few minutes later 2 perfect fried eggs arrived!!!! Minus point- orange juice of a better quality would have just made it perfect.
Location- wonderful- right on the southbank with a perfect 10-15 min stroll along the thames to the eye etc. But a bit of a trek with cases too and from Vauxhall underground-(only 10 mins though) but there is a very frequent bus - which if you have your travelcard thats fine- but cost £2 one way!!!!
Perfect end to my birthday was a drink on the little boat bar opposite- well worth a visit to see the Houses of Parliament and Thames lit up at night.

Overall- the thing that made my stay was the friendliness of ALL staff- they couldn't do enough for you from the concierge to the guest services- even just passing a member of staff in the corridor we were greeted with a friendly smile and a "good morning" or "how are you"........this goes so far in making a hotel stay a more enjoyable experience- well done to your guest relations training!

Will definately stay here again and again!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2010

After nearly a month in UK and Europe service at the Park Plaza Riverbank was the most dissapointing. Our daughters bed was not made when we checked in at 7:30 pm and it took three phone calls to get someone to come with the sheets to make it and the restautrant staff were not at all helpful when we were turned away because they were full - even suggesting room service would have indicated a degree of interest. These are just two things that set our stay off to a bad start. Unfortunate as the rooms were good and breakfast good value. Being on the southern end of the Embankment meant it was not handy to restaurants although it is not too difficult to get to attractions and dining if you were up for a short walk and tube ride.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Ake_1
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I decided to stay at this facility based on feedback from tripadvisor. On the whole, I found my stay quite comfortable. Being slightly removed from the central city, but within a 10 min walk (including from the London Eye), and a 5 min walk from the underground helped me making a choice.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helped me whenever I asked them. The only thing is that you have to wait for some time before you are serviced. The hotel is quite neat and clean. MAke sure you take rooms that face Thames, otherwise, the views from the courtyard rooms are pretty boring. The hotel, on the whole, is quiet which is welcome considering some of the other properties I've stayed in London.

The rooms are decently sized and is comfortable for a couple and child. I really benefitted from two things - a free ice machine which is available on all floors and multiple sockets catering to UK, Euro, US and Asian plug designs. I think the room service was fairly decent - although I didnt personally order much, I found lot of my neighbours ordering stuff...

The great thing about the hotel is its location on the river (Albert Embankment). A spot of quiet walk along the riverbank is always on the card be it past mid-night or early morning. The views of WEstminster Abbey, Big Ben and the London Eye are fantastic at different times of the day/night. There is a small convenience store in the building next to the hotel which makes life easier, especially if you forget to carry anything. There is also a boat ride which you can catch from opposite the hotel although I didnt find many people opting for it.

On Saturday, I walked to London Eye (just keep walking along the riverside) which was a pleasure. There are old castles and some lovely buildings on the way which make things interesting.

The only thing that I didnt like too much was their breakfast layout and menu; I just felt they could much more than what was being offered. The hotel has a couple of resteruants and I enjoyed my experience of one of them (cant recollect the name). There is also free use of internet at the lobby which was welcome.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business