“Not bad for the price... I suppose”

Park Plaza London Riverbank
Ranked #382 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Midlands
“Not bad for the price... I suppose”
Reviewed 9 November 2010

The public areas of this hotel give a good impression: they're quite glam. I think they also serve for the '5 star Park Plaza on the River Residence' which has the same address but is a suite only hotel. The doorman certainly wanted to know if I was booked into the apartments or the hotel before he ushered me to check in.

In any case, the lobby raised my expectations and they fell pretty quickly once in the room. There was an abundance of dark wood, chipped in places which crammed the already small space. I think the idea was for it to look like an oriental spa - and it worked in the bathroom which was spacious and had a separate shower and complimentary bathrobes. Very nice. But the bedroom was cramped. The gap between the bed and the dresser/ TV console/ drinks cabinet was narrow, and made even narrower because the dark sharp wood stuck out of the bed base below the mattress. Ouch lost skin on that.

I had asked for a room not facing the railway line, and I got one facing an office block, so it was quiet enough to open the window at night, but you wouldn't have wanted to open the the nets - they could see right in. In any case, the curtains were dirty.

Breakfast was actually pretty good for a buffet. The food was hot and replenished regularly. The breakfast room was underground though which I don't think is the best place to start the day.

The thing that detracted most from the sleep quality was that on two occasions on the first night (well before 8am) staff came into the room. The first time (probably about 7am) they may have knocked but I didn't hear them: I was asleep. I couldn't get back to sleep (I was pretty freaked out) and I know they didn't knock the second time. Perhaps I'm being naive: should I have put the do not disturb sign out? In any case it didn't make the second nights sleep (even with Do not disturb sign and deadbolt) very nice.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (865)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2010

First of all, the food in the restaurant was excellent, no complaints there and bar prices were reasonable for a large hotel. The restaurant, like the rest of the hotel tries very hard to be trendy though and, along with the bar area provides a "cool" atmosphere. my miserable company pay low prices so that meant breakfast was not in the restaurant but in a dingy room down in the basement which provided average buffet fare. A real let-down.
The rooms should have been lovely but mine was actually a little tired and had no outlook whatsoever, just onto other rooms. At first glance, no problems but the carpet was stained and looked like it had its fair share of spills over the time. I also hated the two single beds pushed together to make it a double. This does not make it a double oom in my opinion! The bathroom was big and bright though. Seperate bath and shower. Nice.
Location was not to my choosing. I had heavy luggage with me and found the walk to the nearest underground (Vauxhall) a drag. I didn't think there was a great choice of bars/restaurants surrounding it either, so returning late at night it was a bit of a walk as taxis are never that keen to venture "south of the river".
Best described as OK for the price paid.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2010

My partner and I stayed here in 2008 and 2010 for one night. Value for money for the room views is just fantastic. The view of the river although not a patch on the views at The Savoy is still very good.

The rooms we stayed in were the Duluxe River View Room, which was very clean however quite small. The view made up for any faults with the room. The room corridor needs attention, very bland.

The service was very good by the porter staff, however the reception team not over friendly.

If you are looking for a 4 star, clean, no frills, good value for money hotel this is for you.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 November 2010

My boyfriend and I visited this hotel during the summer when we were traveling in Europe. I was excited since it was a 4 star hotel on hotels.com. Let me say that it did not live up to its rating. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Jonathan at the concierge. He was cold and short, and not very welcoming. Since I had pre-purchased the room, I brought my print out as confirmation. I presented the printout, and Jonathan looked at me like I had 10 heads. He seemed confused and had to "go in the back" to check on it. Finally, he returned and all was squared away. While we were standing there I asked if he could suggest a place to eat for lunch. He told me flatly that he couldn't, and that I would have to visit the concierge desk that was literally 20 feet away.
My boyfriend and I did visit the concierge desk, and the man there (can't remember his name) was nice, but entirely unhelpful. We asked if he could recommend a good Chinese place for lunch. He couldn't, and had to Google it!!! I was shocked. He showed my boyfriend and I the Google screen, and scrolled through the choices. THIS IS SOMETHING I COULD HAVE DONE MYSELF! When visiting a foreign country, travelers rely on the concierge's expertise and knowledge of the area. This hotel was completely unhelpful.
The room, I have to say, was very clean and comfortable. We did enjoy the room.
The location of the hotel was less than ideal for us. The hotel was located on the South Bank, and we would have liked to stayed more centrally located in the city. It was a bit of a trek to get to all the London sights.
Overall, I would stay anywhere other than here next time I visit London due to the poor staff at the hotel and secondly, the location. Perhaps if the staff were more helpful and friendly, I would give this hotel a second thought.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iteach1981
PPRLLondon, EA to Regional General Manager UK at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this review, 11 November 2010
Dear Iteach1981,
Thank you very much for your comments, I can only apologise for the shortfall in standards which you experienced at our concierge desk, I have since spoken to the relevant managers who will address the issues experienced to ensure that they do not reoccur. Unfortunately, due to fluctuating business levels, we often need to use agency staff in our concierge department, and, while every effort is made to provide them with the highest standard of training, I do appreciate that their local knowledge may fall short of that of our regular concierge team. Please be assured that everything possible is being done to avoid similar situations in future.
Yours Sincerely,
Helen Bond
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2010

This hotel is a joke, we booked a hotel room for 1 night several months ago for a celebration of a birthday for 5 people. We arrived to a full hotel, only to be told that they had given our rooms to someone else. The manager couldn't have cared less, and there were also 2 other guests who had booked and paid for their rooms, and theirs had been given away also. We waited for 2 hours and 20 minutes for them fo find us a room. It ruined our celebration.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank brad186460
StevenSands, Manager at Park Plaza London Riverbank, responded to this review, 6 November 2010
Dear brad186460

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I was sorry to hear about your room not being available for you and the manner in which it was dealt with. Please do give me a call, your time permitting of course, as I would like to make contact with yourself so that we may redeem ourselves and show you our usual high level Park Plaza hospitality.

Kind regards
Steven Sands
Rooms Division Manager
England
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Having booked a regular river view room, we were upgraded on arrival to a suite on the 7th floor which had the most amazing views along the Thames towards Westminster. It was magical at night when the buildings were floodlit and the lights of London twinkled. We ate in the hotel restaurant where the service was very good even though it was a busy Saturday evening. I can thoroughly recommend the tasting menu - a real treat! Our lazy Sunday breakfast in the restaurant was first class. The staff were attentive, but not intrusive and the wonderful selection of food meant we had the perfect start to our day. From start to finish our experience of this hotel was very positive and we hope to return soon.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I've been in this hotel on two occasions. The first time I was upgraded to a business suite. Second time around (last weekend), I had a regular room in the main part of the hotel. On both occasions the rooms were fine, but the smaller room was even more comfortable than the larger one. Great selection of television channels including SKY 1, 2 and 3 (although, sadly, I missed the Manchester United v. Stoke match on one afternoon). And the mini bar was one of the best-value room bars I have encountered in my travelling life.

The room service was not the greatest. On a Sunday morning, I left the room at about 12 noon and attached a "please make up the room" notice to my door. After I had returned round about 5.00 p.m., the room had still not been serviced. Against this, however, the restaurant service to the room was absolutely fine. I had breakfast in the hotel on a couple of occasions and I still have good memories of the bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Mmmmm...delicious! Coffee was of the good but not great variety.

The hotel is about six-seven minutes walk from Vauxhall tube station. There's also a bus station adjacent to the tube station. On the Sunday morning, I took a bus from Vauxhall to Marylebone and the trip was as good as any bus tour (enhanced by the details of each stop relayed to the passengers). I know that Traveller Plus has extolled the virtues of London bus travel on this site before. Although I'm primarily a tube user, I must confess that I will use the bus again (after experiencing the superb views from the top deck of the Marlebone bus on a crisp and sunny autumnal afternoon).

When you leave Vauxhall tube station, you can also approach the hotel via a riverbank walk. I arrived in London just as dusk was falling, on a cold clear night, and the view of Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament in the distance was a major enhancement of my walk to the hotel. The words of Wordsworth's "Upon Westminster Bridge" were resonating with me at the time (although, admittedly, I was near Vauxhall bridge and the Wordsworth poem is set at sunrise not at dusk).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo