“interesting but a bit tired and crowded”

Pollock's Toy Museum & Shop
Reviewed 24 May 2011

The museum is close to Goodge Street Tube station. It is full of toys from over the last couple of centuries arranged in interesting groups. The dolls, dolls houses and soft toys were particularly interesting to me. The displays though were very static, information hard to read and scanty. The house the museum was in was interesting in itself and had lots of character but I felt that much more could have been done to enhance the experience. Likewise the gift shop lacked imagination and flair. Nostalgia is all the rage right now and so much more could be done with it

2  Thank Ozzypip
in 14 reviews
"fitzrovia"
"stages"

Reviewed 27 July 2010

The collection is not in mint condition and to be honest it was very creepy and though it was interesting that factor over powered everything else. The staircase was rather small and the store below it was disappointing. to me it was not worth the 5 pounds. Perhaps for someone who is very interesting in such things.

1  Thank Lucky_Girl1990
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Felt I had to comment after seeing the last review was a negative one.

Yes the displays are "crammed" and dis-organised, but this added to the interest for us - it really seemed like a quirky old throwback from 60 years ago, as if nothing had changed since then. There are many, MANY toys - mostly seeming to be from Europe,mainly Britain, 1860 - 1960 but also containing some older and newer toys and some from other parts of the world (for example China).

At £4 / £5 the entrance fee was very low compared to other London attractions and while you will probably be out in an hour, some of the stuff is genuinely interesting. Although when we were there there was no other visitors which made it better - I wouldn't like to walk up the narrow stairs and round the rooms if there were lots of other people there.

Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank GoldGuy1
Reviewed 25 October 2009

I visited the toy museum with my husband (we are in our 30s/40s). We found it interesting in general, but some of the displays were hard to see (not well lit). For those that don't know, it's in a tiny Victorian building, and you go up very narrow stairs into several small rooms, through the attic, and back down a second set of tiny stairs. A lot of interesting displays are on the stairs, but if you have people coming up right behind you, you have to keep moving (I had a woman breathing down my neck (literally) with her camera at every turn). Once you get into the rooms, there's a bit more room to move around and look at things. The toys are all in display cases or glassed-off rooms, and some are a little hard to see as a few rooms are lit with only one bulb. The toys are mainly from the Victorian and Edwardian periods, with fewer examples from the early 20th century.

In general, we enjoyed it, but you should be forewarned that it's a tiny museum, in a tiny house. If you are handicapped, have difficulty going up steep stairs, are claustrophobic, or are a very large person, it's going to be uncomfortable, or just plain not do-able.

I would not recommend it for very small children, as I don't think the toys are the kind that would interest them or hold their attention. We would have like to browse in the shop (which is also tiny), but it was crammed with several people with large baby strollers who showed no signs of leaving anytime soon, so we gave up and left.