“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Northampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Having been brought up not many yards down the road from Brompton Cemetary in the 1950's and having close members of my family buried there, I was saddened, after a recent visit, to see how neglected the grounds are. I now live in Northampton and do not get to London more than once or twice a year. The cemetary was once full of flowers and the graves tended to, I always visited my nan and grandad's grave every sunday to "have a chat" and keep the grave nice. Perhaps, like me, most locals have moved away. I would like to think that is the case. Which is why only tourists and newcomers to the district find it a place of interest, which monumentally and historically it most certainly is. It is now my intention to visit more often!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Irene S

• Polish first
Baltimore, Maryland
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 189 helpful votes
“Happened to be there for "open" day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had just checked into our hotel a block or two away and noticeda flyer that Brompton Cemetery was having an "open" day. The cemetery is always open for walkers and joggers, and there are 1 3/4 hour tours at 2 p.m. many Sundays May through November, but this day besides the tours, refreshments were for sale in the chapel, there was a display of birds of prey that had been rescued, tables were set up by various societies (one to raise money for the restoration of a ship, one displaying knots, etc.). The cemetery is chock-a-block with monumental headstones. In part of it the grass is cut, but an another part where the older tombstones are, the grass is allowed to grow tall as a reserve for birds, butterflies, etc. The best part of our visit was a guided tour of the catacombs, which are in their natural state, i.e. not tidied up. The outer casings of some of the coffins are rotting away. The guide was excellent.
So often on vacation we see a notice about some interesting event in the past, or one that's coming up after we're gone. This time we were lucky and were nearby at the right time.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank organicprof
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fabulous potential but overrun and sadly misused”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

There is indeed something curious and enticing about Brompton Cemetery not least due to its size and the sprawling mass of graves that are jumbled together. I can even well imagine that it could be a quiet retreat for contemplation. Sadly, when we visited a thousand or Chelsea fans were using as a byway to reach their football ground! Once they had departed, there was a beautiful tranquillity about the setting and we even heard a woodpecker. Moreover, the cemetery is the final resting place of many seminal Londoners including the likes of Emeline Pankhurst. However, unless you were to undertake an official tour, it would be very difficult to find any one of these graves. Moreover, whilst this was a lovely walk, it was disappointing to see how unkempt and overgrown the cemetery had become with many graves utterly dilapidated and the majority overrun with overgrowth. This has the potential to be a wonderful London focal point given its famous and indeed infamous inhabitants, but sadly fails to be so due to its state of disrepair and misuse by football fans. It was a far cry from Montmatre, which it has all the potential to compare to.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank SSW8
Gosport, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Sherlock Holmes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

Should I give a cemetry a five star review? I had wnated to go here as I'd heard a lot about it and was also told that it's been used in several films like Johnny English and the james Bond film Goldeneye. I'd also heard it had been used in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock so, being a bit of a film buff, I just had to see it. It is vast but well maintained. I got chatting to one of the cemtery hands and learned that it is in fact classed as a Royal park although he couldn't tell me what the Queen had to do with it!

Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A step bak into history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

You wouldn't normally feel like going for a walk or relaxing yourself in cemetery, but this place is just perfect to do so. In the middle of the city, it's quiet and peaceful. Surrounding graves from the previous centuries can easily take your mind from now to back then. I would highly recommend Brompton Cemetery to be seen.

Visited August 2011