“depends what you want”

The Laboratory Spa and Health Club
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Yes this place is far better than a chain gym but there are a lot of buts ; I have recently given up my membership as I found the place was becoming more and more tatty , the classes too busy and the 8 am booking system ott ; yes a pilates class every day but always full [ and the class sizes had got bigger and bigger] ! Plus it was beginning to have the feel of just a money making machine . I also did have a couple of cardigans that disappeared when I left them behind . Yes I loved the teachers and the café but its only value for money if you use the pool or sauna or gym machines . I think for mind body spirit enthusiasts there are cheaper and more varied less corporate options around . Plus I agree with the more negative comments re cancelling membership , I guess at end of day you just become a number not a face . Maybe I just needed to try a new place ?

5  Thank claire m
Seb B, General Manager at The Laboratory Spa and Health Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Clare,

It's a shame that you feel that you feel that way. I've noted your feedback and will act upon it wher possible.

Our staff have a real passion to offer that personal service to each and every member and whilst we can't double check I must say that both our teams in Muswell and Mill Hill strive to get to know our members & ensure that they benefit from the hollistic/fitness facilities we offer.

Our hollistic offering of classes is second to none in North London and it's one of a few reasons why we were awarded Health Club of the Year 2012.

As for the cancellation policy we feel it's very fair, there's no annual contract and all that we ask is for a calendar month's notice in writing if you wish to leave.

Feel free to contact me in person if there is anything else I can help you with: 0208 457 3300

Healthy regards

Seb

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Having recently joined the Laboratory after having been a member of Virgin Active Mill Hill East for many years, it was like a breath of fresh air.
My experience has been 5* since the moment I first came in for my tour and since I have joined I can only say that the facilties and the staff are fantastic. I was given a fitness consultation and detailed induction into the gym showing me how to use the equipment and given a personalied programme for me to use each time I come in. The gym is spacious and has fantastic equipment and choice of classes, and Ricardo the gym instructor is really motivational. What I hated about Virgin Active is that is was inpersonal and unfriendly, the Laboratory is none of these things. Also the pool is second to none, its soo relaxing I even fell asleep on on of their loungers after my swim and jacuzzi.
My only down point is that the club doenst have extra Body Combat classes on the weekend. Please can we have more!!

3  Thank Tully777
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The Lab really is the business. Yes its expensive, my partner and I pay 83 quid each PCM for a joint membership, but it really is worth it. I've never been one to willingly provide a vox populi, but they do deserve it.

I was previously a member of David Lloyd Finchley, having moved from another David Lloyd (which was lovely), so I will draw some comparisons.

Classes are very busy, an indication of how much people enjoy this gaff. Staff are nice enough, polite, trainers are knowledgable and extremely helpful. Reviews and fitness plans are included in your membership. They are not in David Lloyd, and will cost a boat load. I haven't had any experience with any treatments so can't comment there. Food is good, coffee is very good.

The only upsides of David Lloyd Finchley is that there is tennis if that is your thing, and the free weight area is VERY large and well equipped, and if you are a competitive bodybuilder, the Lab isn't for you. Saying that some fairly big guys, including the fitness team, have no problem staying that weight with the Muswell Hill facilities. Mill Hill Lab free weight area is larger, as it the gym as a whole.

David Lloyd is absurdly busy, there are kids everywhere (No kids allowed at Lab bar Sunday Mornings), the food there is akin to standard pub grub, its in a busy retail park next to the north circular, hardly tranquil......the Lab Muswell Hill is set in the grounds of Ally Pally.

Wet facilities are no comparision, Oxygenated pool at Muswell Hill, tiny pool full of noisy kids at Finchley, and a horrible outdoor pool. I have even seen a lifeguard fish out a turd from the David Lloyd pool before, perhaps a by-product of Chelsea tractor driving mummies placating their offspring with "food", from David Lloyd's neighbour, Macky D's, before letting them tap into their ferral id and ego in the band-aid riddled, poo inducing wet area. I think that calling it a spa might actually be illegal in Sweden.

Male changing rooms in David Lloyd Finchley are hideous, showers are truely grim, toilets are worse. In the Lab, immaculate.

To be fair there is a very, very small amount of riff raff who frequent the Lab gym, sauna and hot tubs, from listening in whilst trying to cut through their incessant Norf Landan patois, I get a distinctly dodgy impression. However, to be expected anywhere in town, and it almost makes for some sort of surrealist comedy show when combined with the very middle class musings of the yoga and pilates crowd.

All in all, 9/10. Well done to all Lab staff

8  Thank beefpancake
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I just had a day at Lab spa as a treat for a fiend and I. The staff and other members were really helpful and so welcoming and our day could not have been more relaxing. We were made to feel really special. The facilities are good , not in the same league as a full on health spa, but neverthe less good , clean and very well maintained. The therapists were absolutely delightful and carried out first rate treatments. All in all a lovely day.

1  Thank Mag499