“Great Club!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
The Laboratory Spa and Health Club
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Visited this club last week as the guest of a friend who was given a guest pass as a "member referral" promotion. Am not normally a massive fan of gyms but I really was pleasantly surprised. Lovely building, lots of light even in the gym due to the massive windows everywhere, good equipment but the thing I really loved was the pool which was the best I have seen. Staff seemed professional and friendly and everywhere (especially the changing rooms which is my usual bug bear) was very clean. I had a facial in their spa which was so relaxing it sent me to sleep (it must have been good!) All in all a great place, if I lived a bit closer I would definitely join.

1  Thank Nicki G

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Having trained in clubs for 25 years, it’s a real pleasure to have found The Lab, friendly staff with a wealth of knowledge; this is truly like no other club I have been a member of. The award of “Health Club of the Year” is truly deserved, well done.

1  Thank James D
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Nice enough atmosphere even if a bit tatty ,but really don't bother - there has been an ongoing issue with a poorly functioning steam room - it has been erratic and inefficient for some months. There has been a groundswell of dissatisfaction among the members. However the management seems to respond with no sense of urgency or even awareness that members are paying premium rates for a gym experience within which the steam room should be an integral part. They simply don't seem to care enough to deal with the issue - I've gone to Virgin Active in Crouch End and I would recommend you to do the same!

10  Thank omyourman
Seb B, General Manager at The Laboratory Spa and Health Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm sorry you felt compelled to write in with your dissatisfaction. We have upgraded the steam room generator and whilst we initially had some teething problems with the increase in output. it's now working beautifully.

It's a shame you have left the Lab but may we wish you all the best in you're new Club.

Healthy regards

Seb

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Yes this place is far better than a chain gym but there are a lot of buts ; I have recently given up my membership as I found the place was becoming more and more tatty , the classes too busy and the 8 am booking system ott ; yes a pilates class every day but always full [ and the class sizes had got bigger and bigger] ! Plus it was beginning to have the feel of just a money making machine . I also did have a couple of cardigans that disappeared when I left them behind . Yes I loved the teachers and the café but its only value for money if you use the pool or sauna or gym machines . I think for mind body spirit enthusiasts there are cheaper and more varied less corporate options around . Plus I agree with the more negative comments re cancelling membership , I guess at end of day you just become a number not a face . Maybe I just needed to try a new place ?

5  Thank claire m
Seb B, General Manager at The Laboratory Spa and Health Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Clare,

It's a shame that you feel that you feel that way. I've noted your feedback and will act upon it wher possible.

Our staff have a real passion to offer that personal service to each and every member and whilst we can't double check I must say that both our teams in Muswell and Mill Hill strive to get to know our members & ensure that they benefit from the hollistic/fitness facilities we offer.

Our hollistic offering of classes is second to none in North London and it's one of a few reasons why we were awarded Health Club of the Year 2012.

As for the cancellation policy we feel it's very fair, there's no annual contract and all that we ask is for a calendar month's notice in writing if you wish to leave.

Feel free to contact me in person if there is anything else I can help you with: 0208 457 3300

Healthy regards

Seb

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Having recently joined the Laboratory after having been a member of Virgin Active Mill Hill East for many years, it was like a breath of fresh air.
My experience has been 5* since the moment I first came in for my tour and since I have joined I can only say that the facilties and the staff are fantastic. I was given a fitness consultation and detailed induction into the gym showing me how to use the equipment and given a personalied programme for me to use each time I come in. The gym is spacious and has fantastic equipment and choice of classes, and Ricardo the gym instructor is really motivational. What I hated about Virgin Active is that is was inpersonal and unfriendly, the Laboratory is none of these things. Also the pool is second to none, its soo relaxing I even fell asleep on on of their loungers after my swim and jacuzzi.
My only down point is that the club doenst have extra Body Combat classes on the weekend. Please can we have more!!

3  Thank Tully777