“AVOID - its filthy, unhygienic and the rules are draconian”

York Hall Leisure Centre
Ranked #102 of 345 Spas & Wellness in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: York Hall Day Spa is an affordable luxury day spa in Bethnal Green and the finest spa of its kind in London’s East End. Our award winning Bethnal Green spa is located within York Hall Leisure Centre and offers you the perfect environment in which to restore both mind and body, and lift your spirits with every visit. The historic York Hall was originally built in 1929 and fully refurbished and restored in 2005 to create a unique experience for anyone seeking a memorable and uplifting spa day in London.
London
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 206 helpful votes
“AVOID - its filthy, unhygienic and the rules are draconian”
Reviewed 2 February 2013

When I went to the Turkish Baths there a few years ago it was filthy and unhygienic - I asked for my money back and walked out. After a multi-million pound makeover it is still - filthy and unhygienic. Indeed the smell is rank especially in the steam room and showers. It used to have a vibrant atmosphere of multi-cultural clientele - it is in the East End after all. Now few of the regulars go there and the clientele is mainly white females who can't afford the higher prices of more upmarket spas. The problem is that it is owned by the infamous Tower Hamlets Council who have contracted it out to a private organisation 'Greenwich Leisure Ltd [GLL]' trade marked 'Better.' They have in turn imposed draconian rules that have completely spoiled the ambiance of the place. When I was there in November 2012 The floors were scummy with dirt from people's shoes (it was raining outside). The price was £20+ as a visitor. There was no more free of charge traditional Yiddish schmeis. The draconian 'etiquette' rules on the website state: "Treatments will only be provided by GLL trained therapists, or qualified third parties who are in possession of an appropriate license and insurance." And they are so expensive that they have priced the previous multi-cultural clientele well out of using the place. And female staff wandered into the men's changing area; (I understand that male staff also wander into the female changing area). If you value your health avoid this place. Not a patch on more professional Turkish Baths and spas on the Continent.

Visited November 2012
9 Thank Chris2006

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“disgusting”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I go the the swimming pool and I do it only because I have back problems.
I never came across a swimming pool that unclean.

The showers smell wee and are never cleaned during the day
so you have all sorts of hair on floor, walls and other wastes.

The floor is also quite disguising because other people do walk with shoes
where you walk without shoes.
The showers are not properly working neither (very hot water and then cold).
The good point is that most of the time it is not that busy in the pool.
I prefer to not think at the quality of the water.

Going there is taking the pleasure to swim.

The management is terrible.
Lots of employees, none of them to keep the changing room clean neither.
The council should do something.

Visited January 2013
8 Thank mary1000000000
London
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Spa london”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I have been to spa London a few times with friends and really enjoyed it. It's a great venue and really good value. Looking forward to the Wimbledon one opening next year!

Visited February 2012
2 Thank CWlondonLondon
Hampshire
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Spa London”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My daughter lives nearby, so we thought we would give this a try. The spa itself was clean and we enjoyed the hot rooms. There is a plunge pool, bucket shower and ice available to cool you down.
I am glad that I had not read the other reviews before I went, because our experience was very different. Sunday is a mixed day and it was mainly young couples - from a range of different nationalities. I think I was probably 20 about years older than the rest of the clientelle!
To be quite honest, I have never seen so many men in a spa - I think they had booked to get themselves back on their feet after a stag do - they were leaving as we arrived!
We booked the Escape London Experience and the treatments were excellent. We had an hour to warm up in the spa then a salt scrub, sea algae facial and a swedish massage. Both therapists were well trained, friendly and knowledgable. The spa is due to change to Elemis in the near future, but the algae facial was one of the best I have ever had. The therapist told me that they have a number of regulars who come just for that.
The therapist who did the swedish massage only works at weekends - she works at a hospital during the week. She was excellent and knew a lot about sports massage too.
Yes, there are a few things that could be put right - a broken hairdryer, a toilet door with a dodgy lock, and putting furniture that is not water resistant in the rest room - people sit down wearing swim suits leaving a wet patch for the next person - not pleasant!
However, the hot rooms are great and we found that the treatments were too.
I think they have men only days twice a week, women only days and mixed at the weekend - but check to make sure.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Alice56Hampshire
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Completely overpriced treatments..”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I wouldn't rate this as terrible but it's not much more! I've enjoyed the spa in the past, it's incredibly cheap and on a good day it can feel quite empty, for £20 you cant complain. However I recently booked myself in for a swedish massage which was such a waste of money - my therapist huffed and puffed all the way through and there was no fluidity in her movement - felt like she really couldn't be bothered and for £59 I'd expect a lot more... at the very least someone who would talk through why I was there and which areas of my body were tense or needed concentrating on. Instead I felt like a conveyor belt. It also took about 3 weeks to book, terrible system at their end. Wish I hadn't bothered!

Visited March 2012