“A great family friendly hotel with really helpful staff”

Premier Inn London Bank (Tower) Hotel
Ranked #115 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Cardiff
“A great family friendly hotel with really helpful staff”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed here for a weekend break immediately before Christmas - there were 4 adults and 2 children in our group. The staff were incredibly friendly, helpful and cheerful (and on the first night the staff were from a different hotel covering for the regular staff's Christmas night out). They couldn't do enough to help at reception and in the restaurant.

The rooms were comfortable, quiet, clean and the 3 beds in our room made up when we arrived (which is more than is often said with Travelodge when you arrive with kids). The food was excellent and good value at £22.95 for the meal deal which included a 3 course evening meal with a drink and breakfast, and the kids eat breakfast for free.

The location was ideal for the Tower of London and with easy reach of tube stations. The only downside was it was difficult to locate by car to unload and the nearest car park is a 5-10 minute walk away opposite the Tower.

Would recommend and would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed for one night on birthday treat with wife. Normally try and stay at the Premier Inn close to Borough Market on the other side of London Bridge. However really glad we stayed here. Friendly, clean, efficient, comfortable, quiet (we were on the top floor). Fast service at evening meal and steaks were as ordered. Really slick check in and out.

Just a short walk over to the Thames path south of the river and there is a good Wetherspoons in striking distance at Tower Hill.

Room Tip: Quiet street - any will do.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
bristol
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Extremely clean hotel as it is new, staff very helpful and friendly. A very good night's sleep as advertised, they have tried hard to keep noise to a minimum. The only disadvantage was the queue for breakfast, it was recommended that you either arrive early or late to avoid waiting. Quests were offered a refund if they were unable to wait. This hotel is convenient for tubes etc.

Room Tip: We were allocated a room in the quiet zone, which was indeed very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank izzi9999
Didcot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This was my first stay in a Premier Inn anywhere. I did not have high expectations. The last two stays in London were at the 4 star Park Plaza on Westminster Bridge. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were all made to feel like 'Guests'. (We being four adults and three young children).
I have stayed in hotels all over the world and I have never felt so welcomed. I was surprised at the amount of staff in the hotel who were happy to help and provide advice about everything. They appeared to genuinely want to help not just play lip service. The receptionist took the time to explain their policy about refunding us should we not feel that we had a restful sleep. The room was spotless with everything required and no gimmicks. We used the bar at night and the staff we friendly and efficient. We used the dining room for breakfast. (All you can eat for under £9 and children under 16 eat free).
The hotel is a three minute walk from Monument underground station and close to The Tower of London amongst many other sites.
I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to all sorts of parties from the list below depending on the nature of the trip. (Ideal for business, couples, family, friends or solo).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Gareth J
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Sadly another bad experience of staying at Premier Inn (last one a few years back when I had a dingy, dirty basement room in a London hotel). Whilst I should have learnt my lesson I booked and phoned ahead to ask for a quiet room. There is no facility to make such requests whilst booking through their website so you have to use the premium rate telephone line. Pleasant chap advised me this was possible, a room on the top/7th floor being allocated. I was a little surprised then on arrival to be given a key for room on the 2 nd floor. I asked if my request had been received and this was confirmed (???!!!?). Only then was a room offered on the 7th floor as I had been advised. Perhaps this was where it went wrong as the allocation was self contradictory in terms of the quiet room requested.

First problem was when I returned on the first evening to discover that the lifts were not working. The receptionist was unapologetic about this. I was initially a little incredulous about getting up to the seventh floor. His advice was that I could wait in the lobby area for ’30 minutes’ whilst the repairs were going on ‘if I wanted’.

My first night was disturbed towards the morning by noise within the room. This sounded like lift motor noise (repaired by then) because of its pattern and quality. I reported this the next morning and was advised I could be moved to another room on that floor (“the seventh/top floor tends to be quieter”) so to leave my case packed and the transfer would be arranged. It was disappointing then to return in the afternoon and find that another room had not been allocated, let alone transfer of my case. I was “escorted” to my room then to make the transfer to…uh, a smaller room on a lower floor… The receptionist escorting me did say that she had checked about sources of noise as described but not found any. Perhaps the inference drawn being that it was those pesky auditory hallucinations of mine...

The second room sadly failed to improve matters as there was a loud knocking sound within the this room when adjoining rooms (?floor above) used their bathroom facilities. It was really intrusive so I reported this the next morning. I did by then feel embarrassed about reporting further issues. No offer was made to remedy the situation. I did, incidentally, also report a (minor) fault with the soap dispenser in the bath/shower ie it did not dispense soap (yes, it is that sort of hotel where soap comes out of wall mounted dispensers, toilet paper from a wall mounted unit, etc). On return that evening, last of 3 nights, the fault had not been addressed and there was no feedback about the noise issue.

I returned the second night of the three to find my keycard would not operate the lift. On reporting to reception they seemed not to have a record of me so I waited around for the receptionist to figure out that I was booked in for the next 2 nights.

Cleanliness was not wonderful. The bathroom was alright but I discovered remnants of food that I had eaten 2 nights before under the chair/desk when I was packing up.

Would I stay there again…probably not, is the answer. Maybe you are expected to not expect too much for your money at "this 'budget' hotel"... but then it isn't particularly cheap. I was told by two different members of staff that issues I had raised were 'really helpful' as they had just moved in and they could then improve things for other guests...??!!??. This rather ignominious response neatly side-stepped the issue of addressing the service problems that I had endured and paid for. Perhaps they are still walking wide-eyed around the building taking in their new surroundings.

Interestingly, on review of the website, I noted the promise to refund your money if you did not have a good sleep (good luck to anyone attempting to ask for this). It strikes me as a ridiculous promise as sleep is prey to so many variables and certainly the issue of refunding was never raised by the staff. I generally expect to pay for services and to seek resolution of problems. However, perhaps all this makes more sense in that there is a sensitivity to this promise that modifies how staff respond to complaints, (cue response from management about how they excellently respond to every situation in a professional manner, customer service supreme,etc etc , just a pity that this has not been my experience….). Ho hum.

Room Tip: Good luck is all I can suggest.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank marbh_tuirseach9
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I visited the Premier Inn at London Monument whilst in London on a business trip for a single night stay. I had previously believed Premier Inn to be a budget hotel of not too high a standard and expected a London example to be unappealing. I was surprised. Reception was very friendly and super-efficient at both check-in and check-out. The room and all public areas were spotlessly clean. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever had in a hotel. Breakfast was plentiful and enjoyable. I have previously paid much higher prices in London for significantly lower standards and generally have low expectations. The hotel is conveniently located for the City business district and is not far from the Tower of London

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I recently spent a night in this hotel and too be honest, I could not fault it.
Check in was quick and efficient as was my check out. The room, a family room although I was on my own was excellent, clean, comfortably and above all quiet!

Service from the staff at reception and in the restaurant was attentive and friendly and the food at breakfast was fresh with a wide variety to choose from.

I will definitely be stopping again there again if the opportunity arises.

Central location within the city of London with transport only minutes away.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business