“Do not book this hotel under any circumstances”
Review of Forest Gate Hotel

Forest Gate Hotel
Ranked #381 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Do not book this hotel under any circumstances”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Myself and my partner were looking for a last minute hotel in London and came across the Forest Gate Hotel, at £50 we thought it was a good price and checked out locations etc. it seemed perfect for what we wanted. We were attending a gig at Olympic Park which we knew would mean we would be checking in at the hotel late, but as the hotel website said "24 hour reception" we thought it wouldn't be a problem. We followed all instructions on the website which asked that we inform the owners if we would be checking in after 11, after several attempts at a phone call we received no answer so we were unable to explain our situation, as a result we had to send a simple email trying to get across our reasons, to which they said they would wait until 12 only. This was not any good.

We eventually made it to the hotel just after 1 a.m. And banged on all 3 doors for 30 minutes before giving up and finding alternative accommodation which took a further 2 1/2 hours!

This ruined our stay in London and cost us an obscene amount of money on top of what we had already paid.
I emailed the owners and asked for my money back, shock I received no reply.

I won't be stopping until I receive a full refund. How dare they advertise their hotel as having a 24 hour reception if you are not allowed in after 12???

Furious doesn't cover it - don't go there!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Neave23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ercolano, Italy
Reviewed 20 April 2013

my mom came to visit so i booked 2 nights for my mum at our local hotel. they told me someone would be at the hotel until 00:30 to let my mum into her room. at 00:10 we arrived (from Gatwick) and not a soul in sight to let her in. she bunked with my gf and I. not that big a deal, except they kept the money and took no responsibility at all. bad business move.

simply unacceptable.

by the way, no soap or any toiletries in the bathroom. overall a major ripoff and let down.

still, the pub downstairs is kinda cute and homey for the elderly folks in the hood.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Dansio

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Well what can I say what a new years eve !
I would describe this hotel as a little like Guest House Paraiso ! watch it and go on compare !
cons were no kettle in room but drink stuff left to temp you,
Heating so high in shower rooms u nearly pass out an they dont turn off !
Hotel a bit rough around edges needs decorating not the type of place for a romantic night, although fine for private functions, as has function room out back, or group bookings as cheap n not too strict or stuck up.
The staff very nice heplfull especially the manager giving me drinks ! whilst we chatted with other staff to see in the new year,
Cant comment on Breakfast as we didnt get to it ! Id stay again for the experience, you get what you pay for and has basics you need Bed, showers, Towels, Bar, food on offer, a small shop oposite.

Beds comfy, found parking right outside,

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jazzzyBmth
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Complete garbage. Do not stay here. One of our rooms had a shower in it however it did not drain. Did a little fishing with a coat hanger and caught a large wad of hair. The complementary cups in the room had a pube in it. The room refreshments consisted of a lone tea bag that wasn't even packaged. Word of advice, if the toilet has been flushed, don't try to flush it again for at least 10 minutes. Neighborhood isn't much better. Walking back from the train station the sidewalk was littered with shi#!@y toilet paper. You know it's bad when the customs agent asks where you are staying and when you say "Forest Gate" she says BE CAREFUL! Only plus was the nice patrons in the bar. I'm only giving the place the rating I have because you cannot select a category that goes into negative numbers.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank p_dutchy
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

not only was the room a complete dump, £200 worth of items somehow magically disappeared from my locked room....
Old beer cans were stuffed under the bed alongside old cigarettes and do not even get me started on the bathroom facilities. Overall, the service was awful, the rooms were a dump and they robbed me. Do not stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank zevvy
londonb
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We stayed here for 1 night however it was the longest night of my life. It was evil. To start with the reception was a nightclub had to scream for service. We waited almost an hour to be served. You will not be able to sleep here. we were told when we arrived that they were painting the room and had to give us another, the one we received needed to be painted it was gross,and full of condensation, You could never describe this as a hotel. A nightclub with a smelly cupboard with a mattress inside.
the rooms were unsafe as the doors had broken locks and the windows were full of pigeon waste.the spoones for tea were mega dirty and dust was everywhere.we felt going to the shower you will come out dirtier than when you went in,,, the w c wasn't working.
worst of all breakfast was disgusting,,,butter was shared by all guest and the wouldnt even give you servilletes.
i felt ill after trying to eat my so called breakfast.
PLEASE AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COST

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank tadge007
Rhyl
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I wish I had read the reveiws before I booked.

A total dump, not even fit for pigs to stay at, the sheets were dirty, windows rotten and about to fall out. Wardrobes held together with sticky back plaster
the toilets and showers not working and disgusting
The breakfast, one rubber egg, something that looked liked bacon, ( probablty still alive ) beans straight ot of the tin and cold.
A totally ignorant person serving breakfast whilst hoovering rubbish in the hotel around as you ( felt like spewing ) looking at the so called breakfast.

I will be writing to the Health and safetuy department, and others asking for this total dump to be closed down.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.