“Not for Large Groups”

Byron Hammersmith
Ranked #5,121 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Proper hamburgers made from British beef, freshly prepared and cooked to order, served with a craft beer
London, United Kingdom
“Not for Large Groups”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I went into this restaurant today (Friday 01 August 2014) with a group of colleagues as we had been to other Byron restaurants before and had good experiences. There were 10 of us.
The food was ok, not brilliant or amazing - just OK.
One member of our party ordered a smoky burger - when everyone else's food was brought the waiter came around to say that the one smoky burger was not ordered in the kitchen, he apologized and said that he would talk to the manager about it and sort something out - nothing happened.
When it came to paying each person went up to the till and paid for what they had - the restaurant did not have the capability to do this at the table.
I was the last person to pay (my bill should have been approximately £20) yet the waiter insisted that there was a balance of £48 outstanding from the bill and I had to pay it - I paid as I had no option.
On closer scrutiny of the bill back at the office and checking each member of my party's credit card receipts we could see that there were extra items added to the bill and that we were being hopelessly overcharged - I returned to the restaurant and they, after more investigation and calculation agreed to pay the over charge back to me - they also, after I insisted paid back in cash the service charge of £14+ - the whole thing a rather unpleasant experience never to be repeated again.
I say if you have a choice rather go to a GBK or Burger & Lobster as their burgers are much tastier and service more reliable - this was utterly atrocious service in my opinion from a chain that used be good but seems to be loosing its edge. Not good with all the competition that is out there for Burgers in particular!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank ShaunJCLondon

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
United Kingdom
“Top level service and friendliness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We went to the branch in Chiswick soon after it opened and there were no positives, so nothing to write about. And, how chaotic and noisy. So, no need or urge ever to go back. However, this branch in Hammersmith was a complete revelation for a chain of restaurants. We arrived very late (just before closing) and were greeted and served as if we were the first customers of the day (one young guy and a most delightful young lady from Austria). The burgers were hot and tasty and the chocolate milk shake would be hard to beat this side of the Atlantic.

Ariel, Palestinian Territories
“Very tasty burgers, small and friendly place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Burgers are very tasty, little bit overprices.
We came there for a lunch, service was quick and very good.
Both Smoky and Cheese burgers and great.

London, United Kingdom
“Terrible service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just had the worst experience at Byron Hammersmith (1 July 2014).

Staff ignored me when I went in, then eventually gave me a dirty table. I ordered a burger and shake, and when the burger came I asked if the waitress could clean the table. She asked me to hold my plate up then sprayed the table with cleaning fluid right in front of me. Then another waiter brought the shake and said ‘enjoy my friend’ sarcastically. The same waitress laughed out loud, and when I looked at the straw it was clearly dirty. I decided not to risk eating or drinking anything, and told the waitress that I was going to leave. She just said ‘do whatever you want’. When I started to leave the male waiter ran after me and said I had to pay for the shake because I had drunk half of it. I went back and asked to see the shake, and when he looked at it we could both see that I hadn’t drunk any. He said ‘just go!’.

I eat at Byron a lot, and have never experienced such rude, unpleasant service and unsanitary conditions. Won’t be going back there in a hurry!

3 Thank Tan S
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great burgers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Had a business dinner her last week (in between WC matches).

Burgers were nice, and they had a nice unusual beer from Czech republic on the menu. Staff were really friendly and we were lucky to be able to sit outside for most of the dinner.
The ambiance isn't super fancy or anything, but the service and quality burger make up for a lot.

Will probably try the Byron near Farringdon also because of this.

• Visited June 2014