“Brilliant Night Out”
Review of 606 Club

606 Club
Ranked #80 of 1,283 Nightlife in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Live performances of Jazz, Blues, Soul, Latin, R&B, Singer-songwriter, Gospel, Funk & Groove music!
London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Brilliant Night Out”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The first thing I would say is make sure you book a table - without a booking you are not guarenteed entry and you also need to book a table to be able to eat a meal as without ordering a meal you can't have alcohol, only soft drinks.

Despite being a famous jazz club and attracting some big names there really still is the small club feel and it is exciting ringing the bell and waiting for someone to let you in then going down the stairs into a small basement.

The entertainment is always brilliant but it does stick to traditional jazz club rules so it is expected that there is no talking when the act is on etc. That is great for those of us wanting to enjoy the entertainment but not the best place to be if you are on a group night out where the act isn't going to be your focus for the evening.

The food is ok but don't expect restaurant quality - more pub grub but again, everything here is focused on the entertainement.

This is certainly somewhere you should experience at least once

Visited June 2012

• Greek first
belfast
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Jazz-tastic”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

2nd time at the 606 club and enjoyed it thoroughly, food is ok but only because they need to serve food for the alcohol, my advise have dinner somewhere else and order some starters at the 606 to nibble on.

Visited July 2012
London, UK
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“I'm a jazz lover and the only good thing about this places is the music!”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Be ready to be ripped off at 606, since all they really care about is whether you're having something to eat or not! And when you do have something to eat, the food is absolutely terrible! I hated the looks that the manager gives you to see whether you're having dinner as you said you were!!! He keeps marching up and down, making lots of noise, while the music is on! I hated the place and even though it's close to me and very convenient, will never go back.
I prefer going to Ronnie Scott's. AT least they admit to being expensive and you can choose in advance whether you want to have dinner or not.

Visited November 2011
3 Thank SuperSunnyR
606_Club, Owner at 606 Club, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
We do our best to provide the very best in music, food and service and are obviously concerned when anyone doesn't enjoy their experience at the Club. I do, however, feel compelled to just put this particular review in context. We have an unusual license in that although we are officially a Club we can allow non-members on to the premises at any time. The proviso on our license, however, is that all non-members must eat a "substantial" meal if they wish to drink alcohol. One of the main advantages of being a member is that members can drink alcohol without having to eat, unfortunately non-members can't. This is pretty strictly policed and we can lose our license if we are caught selling alcohol to non-members without food. I am aware of who this particular posting is from and this was all explained on booking and again on entry. For whatever reason the reviewer felt that, despite our explanations, we were being "unreasonable" and trying to "force" them to eat. We did explain that this was not a financial issue but a legal one, however, from the unfortunate tone of this posting this does not seem to have been clearly explained enough or understood. I also think that the reviewer may have misunderstood our anxiety about keeping within the law for aggression, for which I would of course apologize. We are not in the business of "ripping people off" as I hope the other reviews on this page demonstrate, but are required to operate within the law. I hope that helps clarify this issue.
Walt Disney World, Florida
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Good music, good service but a bit too pricey”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We went last night to celebrate my partners' birthday. The music was very good, we really enjoyed the band (unfortunately we couldn't see the 2nd band as we had an early rise the following day) . Beers priced at 4,50 and wines rather pricey. Starters between 5-7 £ and main courses at around 15-17 £ (veggie option from 9 to 11£) . The atmosphere was good and our waiters were nice, The blonde lady even came with our dessert where she had put a candle and sang us the happy birthday song (very cute) . It is an "arty" place and I can see how sometimes they could come accross as harsh but all in all I can only say my experience was pleasant and I would go back to enjoy the lovely music. There is a fee to get in of 10£ (May 2012)

Visited May 2012
London, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Fun, casual evening of popular jazz”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a terrific evening of our jazz favorites performed by John East among a six-member band. Fantastic music, well-organized management. The food exceeded our expectations-- it is a basement jazz club, but they offer a nice selection of brasserie quality starters and mains. Clearly you go for the music but we would order dinner again. Wine and drink selection is typical of a bar/club. We enjoyed a bottle of Rioja through the course of the evening. Friendly folks, customers too.

The only thing I did not enjoy about the evening was claustrophobic seating. (And heaven help a person who had to leave in an emergency.) There was barely space to put your legs-- some people had plenty of room, some could not move for the duration of the evening. Also, the volume is too strong for the enclosed space. No need for a microphone with a trumpet and sax. Maybe for a recording, but folks are just trying to enjoy the evening, not risk permanent damage. It detracted from our enjoyment of their outstanding talent, and it was a challenge to relax.

But relax we did, and had a terrific evening. We will return, with some ear protection, and perhaps a seat by what I hope are emergency exits.

Visited May 2012