“New plays mecca”

Royal Court Theatre
Ranked #462 of 1,736 things to do in London
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Despite its posh-sounding title, the Royal Court has been a major force in promoting new plays in London - through its Young Writers scheme, working with writers on their new plays, and international work with playwrights in developing countries. Royal Court playwrights include the late Sarah Kane, Ella Hickson, Roy Williams, debbie tucker green and many more. The plays are contemporary, often edgy and pull no punches in their take on modern life. Book online as tickets sell out quickly. Its programmes are the script (plus cast list) and are good value, given that they cost around £3. The bookshop sells many of their plays, and you may find a 'lucky dip' where you get 3 plays for £10. It has a nice (but pricey) bar cafe. Nearest Underground: Sloane Square. (Don't try and drive here - it's all really expensive or 'residents' only parking.')

1  Thank Inokashira

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I always try to go to this Theatre,when I am in London ,because they are always having very advance spectacles and a lo Moore interesting that the regular theatre

1  Thank Joy13186364
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My wife and i were at the Royal Court Theatre enjoying,In the Republic of Happiness.A play so riddled with angst and pathos,my wife was biting my fingernails !!! The intermission came as a welcome relief.We had a quick two drinks at the bar.Unfortunately my wife,who is partially disabled had to use the w.c.The prolonged queue for the disabled toilet meant that we missed the first twenty minutes of the second half.The disabled facilities were second to none,but some people,i 'suspect' corrupt the system.The play dragged on a bit,but the seats were comfortable.The theatre itself is in my opinion,quiet beautiful.A fantastic example of late victorian theatre architecture.The acoustics,and bare in mind we were in row five were outstanding.The play however left us feeling a little bit shifty,agitated,not at one.Our night had finished disjointed,not physically,but spiritually.

5  Thank Dan W
Reviewed 11 May 2012

If you’ve been to theatre in New York, you probably feel the financial pain regardless of the quality of the performance. We have been attending the Royal Court for 20 years and still marvel at the value. Orchestra (stall) seats for about $45, and the performance we saw upstairs (2 theatres in the building) in May (“Love, Love, Love”) was outstanding. The theatre is very intimate while still comfortable (good knee room). The location on Sloane Square is terrific- easy tube ride!

Reviewed 1 November 2011

My wife and I went on Monday 31st October 2011 to see Tamsin Greig in Jumpy.
We had taken advantage of the Monday Special which sees a number of tickets from sold out performances (most productions are sold out very early) released that day. We had the last two available which had restricted view. However this did not reduce our enjoyment of this traditional theatre.
If we can get tickets we will go again to see other things.