“Comfortable budget hotel in good situation”

Ibis London City-Shoreditch
Ranked #332 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Princes Risborough, United Kingdom
“Comfortable budget hotel in good situation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Great location, being 2 minutes walk from Aldgate East, and around 5 minutes from Aldgate or Whitechapel tube stations. Close to Brick Lane and Liverpool Street too.
Room was a reasonable size and fairly quiet with a comfortable bed and basic, but functional bathroom facilities.
Staff were friendly and helpful and bar was average, but not overly expensive for a hotel in London (about £4.50 pint).
We didn't actually eat at the hotel so can't comment on the food. We were staying free on Tesco Clubcard points so can't really judge the prices either, although it looks like it would be around £230 for 2 nights (Saturday and Sunday) without breakfast (which I guess is about par for the course in London).

Room Tip: We had a room at the back overlooking the internal courtyad which although nothat pretty, meantthat...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Human Resources & Administration Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

After staying here last year for a short break we were more than happy to book again. Three nights were under £300. The staff were extremely helpfull and polite, even when we asked to change from the quiet inside room we were given to one overlooking Commercial Street. We didn't want to look out at a blank wall, but we did need to put up with traffic noise when the window was open. This was endurable overnight though as there was double glazing in place. The bedding and towels were spotless and changed each day. There is now free wi-fi in all rooms which we weren't aware of when booking so could have taken our iPad, but at least phones could be connected. Drinks in the bar were reasonably priced. Food looked nice. For exploring there is a tube station just around the corner for when the attractions you want to see are too far away. Definately planning next year's trip already!

Room Tip: For peace and quiet choose an inner room if you want to look out onto blank walls. If you want a vie...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Terence B, General Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, 29 July 2014

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel. BOth of these trip have been for work and are nice and close to my office. But I would not hesitate to stay here if in London for weekend trip either. A tube trip away from main touristy areas but the Brick Lane area is interesting enough for a local attraction.

Rooms are standard, clean, comfortable bed, AC that works and can crack the window as well if feel like.

Only minus comes from the hotels own restaurant. I was no impressed by the service and food was mediocre at best, if it would have been heated thoroughly. What was well cooked wa the burger I had and that had been on the grill at least double time it really needed and the that not improve the taste.

So ignoring the hotel restaurant, as plenty of good restaurants just few steps away, I'd recommend this reasonable priced hotel with access to Tube just behind the corner.

Room Tip: Higher floors better and preferably facing to courtyard so you have only the AC machinery noise and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank H P
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Kind Regards,
Shropshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We did not encounter any of the problems described in previous reviews. The hotel was comfortable, the staff friendly and helpful. The room was clean. We would stay there again. The restaurant had changed from French bistro to international menu which was disappointing. The buffet breakfast was good. I had to query a debit card transaction after we got home so I rang the hotel and the problem was dealt with swiftly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Terence B, Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience at Ibis London City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am glad to read you found the hotel comfortable, the rooms clean and the breakfast good! I will also pass on your compliments to the team as I am sure this feedback will serve as encouragement to all staff.

Thank you for your comments and I hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Regards,

Caistor UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Despite the previous review we booked in at 12 noon on a Saturday and were immediately allocated our room which was spotless and comfortable. The room was cleaned dailyand and the supplies of tea, coffee were replenished. Yes, it was on the small side and we were only given 2 towels but it was only around £200 for the 2 nights so couldn't complain. It was only 10 minutes walk to the Tower, 2 minutes from Petticoat Lane & Spitalfields markets and the tube station 20 yards away. The breakfast for only £8.95 was excellent. A very good, budget option!

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor and had no noise from other rooms.
1 Thank CASTORIANS
Terence B, Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Castorians,

Thank you very much for taking the time and publishing your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.

I am happy you found our hotel spotless and comfortable and that the breakfast was excellent.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Ibis London City.

Regards,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

While the Hotel itself is excellent, I had left glasses in the room and trying to get them back is proving difficult with the Hotel ignoring my last 3 emails completely and I can't find any Head Office email address that I can escalate the issue to.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Graham,

Thank you for your comments sent on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us. I investigated your review and I would like to apologise for the delay in coming back to you and the inconvenience it may have caused.

Customer service is of utmost importance for us and I am deeply disappointed that your query was not dealt with in a timely manner this time. Your concern was reviewed with the management team to prevent it from happening in the future. I would like to confirm that your glasses have been posted via recorded mail to the address provided on previous communications with you, and it is expected to be delivered by tomorrow.

If you have any further query you can contact me directly on the email h5011-am@accor.com.

I was pleased to read that you found our hotel excellent and I hope to welcome you back at Ibis London City in the near future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Yours sincerely,

Swindon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Had the misfortune of spending four nights in this hotel and while you do not expect five star luxury or facilities you would expect a basic level of cleanliness for £160 per night.
On arrival I checked the bedding only to find the Ben linen had not been changed since the previous occupant, only remade badly. I complained to reception but nothing happened so I was forced to sleep on top of the bed.
Second day I complained to reception and was told housekeeping would change the bed linen and clean the room, however when returning that evening the bedding was still not changed and remained dirty.
The staff at the hotel were very pleasant but absolutely useless in resolving my issues and I spent the entire stay sleeping on top of the bedding.......
No other hotels were available so I could not check out and rebook elsewhere

Avoid this place!!!!!

Room Tip: If you want a good room then select a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Karen H
Terence B, Manager at Ibis London City-Shoreditch, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay at Ibis London City. I was sorry to learn that your stay on this occasion fell short of your expectations and I apologise for any discomfort or inconvenience caused.

At Ibis London City, all rooms are fully cleaned and the bed linen changed before guests’ check in. In case of long stays the linen is also changed every other day and I was surprised and disappointed to read to read in your review that this was not your experience. I would really appreciate if you could contact me on the email h5011-am@accor.com and provide more details of your stay so I can investigate this further and take any appropriate measures.

We appreciate your feedback and I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at Ibis London City.